Is Tribes Losing Players?

#11Talus057Posted 12/23/2012 7:47:08 PM
twinsfan19 posted...
I wouldnt say losing players too rapidly, but it just has a small community now (probably < 1500 people playing at any given time). Its too bad because the game is pretty good...just too hard for most people...

Hard? Maybe but I doubt it. The tutorials are vague, they don't bother explaining very much, skiing was pretty much nerfed after starsiege which pretty much destroyed the base and I haven't seen 1 clan or guild yet. It's basically just a bunch of grinders playing an FPS MMO and I don't think most FPS peeps are into that sort of thing.

There was a base of loyal fans once upon a time that would've kissed the butt cheeks of the developers once upon a time but those days are long gone.
#12Subk123Posted 1/4/2013 6:02:37 PM
base of loyal fans that would've kissed the cheeks of any dev? no. Ever been to TribalWar? The fans of the tribes series are notoriously difficult to please because T1 was such a great game. T2 was despised on release by almost every t1 player. It was only when t2c came out that people remotely enjoyed it

Vengeance is where people's hopes of tribes being done right really died. the idea that anyone would attempt a tribes game after Vengeance was ludicrous.
#13twinsfan19Posted 1/6/2013 12:58:46 AM
Subk123 posted...
base of loyal fans that would've kissed the cheeks of any dev? no. Ever been to TribalWar? The fans of the tribes series are notoriously difficult to please because T1 was such a great game. T2 was despised on release by almost every t1 player. It was only when t2c came out that people remotely enjoyed it

Vengeance is where people's hopes of tribes being done right really died. the idea that anyone would attempt a tribes game after Vengeance was ludicrous.

This is 100% correct. And the game is much more difficult than just about any other FPS game on the market today. The combination of advanced movement, projectile weapons with inheritance, and autos that require a significant amount of leading I'm sure has scared a ton of people away. You can't just crouch, aim down sight, and pull the trigger in this game...
---
Currently Playing: SC2, TF2, Tribes Ascend, Portal 2, Bastion
#14Rank_inPosted 1/22/2013 5:51:09 PM
twinsfan19 posted...

This is 100% correct. And the game is much more difficult than just about any other FPS game on the market today. The combination of advanced movement, projectile weapons with inheritance, and autos that require a significant amount of leading I'm sure has scared a ton of people away. You can't just crouch, aim down sight, and pull the trigger in this game...

Even still, it's a greatly simplified shadow of its predecessors. I've only played Tribes Next in the past, and while I was never good at it, I find Tribes Ascend to be very watered-down in its game mechanics. The skiing is especially simplified - not only is changing direction while retaining momentum incredibly easy, it's also so easy to gain speed that it doesn't make sense (you can easily get over 100 uphill through boosting). The gameplay also lacks any of the customization or options present in Tribes and Tribes 2. The arsenal of each class is very limited, and variations in loadouts make little practical difference.

I'll admit that Ascend has a higher skill ceiling than pretty much every modern FPS out there (and is pretty unique among the bunch, to boot); nevertheless, it's surpassed by games of the last decade.

I still enjoy it, however. The playerbase is still alive, and it's a fun game, despite its flaws.
---
Italics bold flamboyant