Like the dev blog transparency so far.

#1Anubis_DracPosted 12/3/2012 1:17:02 PM
For anyone that hasn't been paying attention to the official forums, just thought I'd note that they've been pretty good these past couple of days about regularly updating the dev blog section located at:

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=345

Looks like they're finally giving some classic tribes features such as asset shielding proper consideration right now.
Not sure about mortars being guaranteed to explode on impact with base assets though. Might make it a bit too EZmode if they do, and if the collision detection is too sensitive, it'll ruin it for when I intentionally bounce shells off of assets.
#2BlueGunstarHeroPosted 12/5/2012 9:09:35 AM
Looking through their proposed balance changes, it looks like infiltrators may be getting a double whammy; increases to drop jammers and jammer packs, plus potential reductions to all explosives. Using Sticky grenades and Sticky XL would need safety third to even destroy a mk.3 and mk.2 generator respectively in quick fashion. To be fair though, infiltrators are pretty annoying sometimes.

I do like the idea of shielded base assets though; I'd like to see that, as I have been noticing people sniping turrets with spinfusors a bit too frequently.

And yes, this transparency is a big plus!
---
Latest: Top 10 Skeletons in Capcom's Closet
Right here on GameFAQs at http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2511.html
#3Anubis_Drac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:20:09 AM
Looking through their proposed balance changes, it looks like infiltrators may be getting a double whammy; increases to drop jammers and jammer packs, plus potential reductions to all explosives. Using Sticky grenades and Sticky XL would need safety third to even destroy a mk.3 and mk.2 generator respectively in quick fashion. To be fair though, infiltrators are pretty annoying sometimes.

Good news is that with this new transparency, the community is given a chance to give immediate feedback before the changes are implemented beyond testing. Apparently they've already received some fairly controversial feedback. I don't remember reading anything decisive on the stickies, but they have stated that they're backing off on overnerfing the jackal, and the only jackal nerfs they plan on implementing are reducing its fire rate (i.e. what they should have done in the first place instead of haphazardly nerfing its damage just about every bloody patch). Maybe if we're lucky the jackal will still be a playable weapon come next patch, and if they do go through with nerfing the stickies, then a decent jackal is something I definitely want, even though I'm generally pretty content with my other primaries.

I have mixed feelings about the sticky nerf proposal. General wtf was my initial reaction, and I can't help but be vaguely suspicious that it's an arbitrary nerf designed to diversify loadouts - after all, if the stickies start to suck, maybe players will unlock and use the prism mine.

I don't really see where it comes from, and the only thing that comes to mind at the top of my head that might justify a nerf of stickies as they are is the potential for them to be spammed carelessly in combat in hopes of getting a lucky kill- however, if that's getting to be a serious problem, it seems to me that it would be better to nerf the stickies by increasing their deploy/arm-and-throw time, rather than screw around with the damage.

imo- that's been one of Hi-Rez's consistent habits of controversial changes- automatically going for the damage modification instead of trying out other ways of nerfing/buffing things. However, it looks like they are showing some signs of changing that habit.

I've been thinking a lot about upcoming patches.
Am I the only one that wants an ultra-bouncy mortar for JUG?
#4BlueGunstarHeroPosted 12/5/2012 10:33:54 AM
Anubis_Drac posted...

I've been thinking a lot about upcoming patches.
Am I the only one that wants an ultra-bouncy mortar for JUG?

I've only recently started using JUG (I've avoided all heavy classes until now), but I could see the benefit to something like that, especially when banking around corners. I'd also be interested in a bouncing mortar that could be remote detonated similar to the jackal grenades (if this does exist for a class, please correct me).
---
#5Anubis_Drac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 11:07:07 AM
I've only recently started using JUG (I've avoided all heavy classes until now), but I could see the benefit to something like that, especially when banking around corners. I'd also be interested in a bouncing mortar that could be remote detonated similar to the jackal grenades (if this does exist for a class, please correct me).

Heh, no, no remote mortar exists as of yet. Jackal is still pretty much your only true remote trap/setup weapon, and it's caused so much controversy that I'd expect Hi-Rez to be pretty reluctant to try another one, especially with as much damage output as the mortar. It certainly would be amusing to have such a thing, but even as a JUG main myself, I have to admit that it would be pretty hard to implement without being blatantly OP. I get enough lolhatemessages just from setting people up to run into my close-mid range mortar traps as it is, and when I'm using MIRV and have someone get cocky enough to pursue me straight along a blind corner or slope, the almost-inevitably-hilarious kill is pretty much guaranteed to evolve into a broken play if I were able to manually detonate my mortars with no regard for timing. Also, the mid-airs, oh gods the mid-air early mortar detonations... Again, fun to think about, but most likely broken.

As it is, all 3 mortars do simple trajectories fairly well. Skilled use of the MIRV can produce very interesting results when the shell is bounced in the right position with good timing (one of my favorite cheap kills in the game is still the drive-by MIRV bounce off of the inner shield of Sunstar's flagstand; fish in a barrel + fishing with dynamite). The sFM and FMD can also be used, but as it is, the design of mortar weapons is still blatantly in favor of artillery shots and simple trajectory, rather than taking advantage of something a little...trickier. What I'd like to see is something along the lines of a mortar that doesn't start its detonation timer until after it has bounced at least once, has more pronounced bounce (collision tends towards higher elasticity than regular shells), but has a slightly shorter detonation time (say, start with half that of the sFM) post-bounce - after all, while it would be cool to pull off some sick mortar-skipping kills across open ranges, I don't want a bouncy mortar just so that I can double the max range of the sFM.

The other thing I'd be semi-interested in is some kind of incendiary mortar with very low initial/impact damage, but a persistent aoe damage distribution that lasts a few seconds post-impact. However, I don't want the JUG to overlap with the BRT's roles too much, so at the same time, I acknowledge it's not the best idea for an alternate mortar. On the flipside, if Hi-Rez does consolidate classes and roll all of the heavies and their respective equipments together, I'll be wanting that incendiary mortar.
#6BlueGunstarHeroPosted 12/5/2012 2:23:12 PM
Admittedly, I had mid-air detonations specifically in mind for wanting such a thing, but my goal for this mortar would be a decent decrease in damage but an increase in knockback. Since JUG's role should ideally stick him over at the enemy base, it could be a neat last resort move to prevent flag caps sending pathfinders off course. But perhaps I'm underthinking it.

...Brutes have a role? All I generally see them do is host dance parties.
---
#7Anubis_Drac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 2:51:51 PM
...Brutes have a role? All I generally see them do is host dance parties.

lolol. In theory, they're supposed to be a balanced combination of local area-denial and frontline combat threat. I think it's pretty widely agreed that their class role kind of fades into obscurity/mediocrity though, and that's sort of the thing - I wouldn't want the JUG taking what little claim to uniqueness the BRT has away.

However,

my goal for this mortar would be a decent decrease in damage but an increase in knockback

That's actually not too bad an idea. It also kind of brings to mind how lacking Ascend is when it comes to options that directly strike the opponent's energy supply. It would be interesting to see something along the lines of an EMP mortar that does little/no damage outside of a modest direct-hit-esque splash, but has a relatively large AOE that drains energy and temporarily freezes energy regen and/or some basic shockwave-style knockback. Then again maybe that's a little too powerful. Then again again, given that it does take a fair bit of skill to line up a mortar with a mid-air target, maybe it wouldn't be too bad. However, I'd still be wary about manual remote detonation, but giving one of these shells some kind of grace field for mid-air proximity detection might not be too bad.

Heh, if they're nerfing sonic punch, maybe we'll get sonic mortar? Then again, maybe I'd just prefer to kill the FC with a regular mortar.

Mortars aside though, I'd still like to see some EMP weapons. Maybe now that they've practically confirmed that asset shielding will be in the next patch, we'll see some proper EMP grenades that temporarily knock out asset shields/functions and play a more important loadout role. Also, maybe if we're very lucky, we'll see the ELF gun make its return to the series.
#8BlueGunstarHeroPosted 12/5/2012 4:14:25 PM(edited)
I'd take a proximity detonation if it were offered, but that might make it even more easy-mode, taking out the need to time additional actions.

Agree I'd like to see more EMP on the field, but in reality Hi-Rez would probably need to sell them at low XP-GP costs as most players will be wanting to save up their points for more heavy damage dealers.

For ELF, were you thinking like a deployable for doombringer? Or something that could be shot forward by chasers? HoF use seems most viable to me, something like an alt force field.
---
#9Anubis_Drac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 2:10:42 PM(edited)
Holy ****. It looks like turrets are finally going to take damage when they're in an explosion, as it should be.
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=345&t=96745

Finally no more wtf'misses' when I land a shell at the base of drydock/sunstar turrets.

Oh, also, new patch apparently implements player physics testing functionality. Sure, it's not quite the full-on mod tools people have been craving, but anyone that's thought about making some variant physics configurations owes it to themselves and the community to check out:
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=345&t=96589

Personally, I'll be messing around with impulse mass, jump, and gravity for starters and see if I can get an amusing interplay between bouncing and proper jet/skiing going.

Interesting nerfs this time around too.

Kinda sad to see them nerf Sonic Punch though. I was just getting the hang of it on my INF loadout before I took this extended vacation from Ascend.

HoF use seems most viable to me, something like an alt force field.

Actually, I won't deny that I've had something along the lines of a flamethrower-esque heavy ELF gun (thrower?) in mind as a DMB weapon from the moment I first unlocked the DMB class. Sweet dreams of quick draw and ELF - slow down and tangle up a flyer in an energy-sucking field at the cost of your own energy and start tearing into them with a full-force weapon as soon as they escape range, and similarly arrest minor annoyances.

It's such a versatile weapon, and depending on how things go, it would also sort of make sense to add functionality to it that causes it to track onto nearby hostile INFs. Other things that have always made me think 'that reminds me of the ELF gun' are the repair guns. I'd almost say that I'd like to see it on a TCN as a repair gun/elf gun- heck, maybe they could modify it so that it does a significant amount of damage when paired with the Mechanic perk, but is pretty terrible as an allied asset repair gun for balance - OR instead of lowering the repair rate, they give it a good repair rate but make it drain player energy rather quickly while in use. Combat-Zone TCN all up in your ****. Plus they keep on nerfing the TCN's primaries, despite the fact that they really haven't seemed to be causing enough problems to warrant nerfing, so it wouldn't kill them to give the TCN some loadout love.

It doesn't sound too infeasible to me. Something that sums up along the lines of "a modified ELF Repair Gun well-known for its high repair rate. It requires a lot of energy to use, but it is also capable of draining energy from opponents." Then again, implementing proper ELF weaponry in Ascend could significantly change things enough to screw a lot of other stuff up. So maybe not...
#10Anubis_Drac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 11:19:52 AM
w00t. Shocklance is finally getting some legitimate consideration.
Next patch might be best patch in ages.