Despite my [many] complaints, this was my favorite game of 2012

#1BlueGunstarHeroPosted 1/3/2013 11:15:28 AM
Noticed this game came in 2nd to last in the PotD yesterday for best FPS of 2012.

Game may have gone quiet in the past few months, but in retrospect, I happily spent over a hundred hours with this game with only a $10 investment (and 550 GP still in pocket - thanks facebook), and from probably around June to October, I had a lot of fun. A lot of frustrations, but a lot of fun as well.

Despite every static sniper, every fractal discoteque, every hillside noobringer, even all those matches with everyone in the generator room; there have been so many rewarding moments in rounds where your calculations prove correct that the game's good times far outweigh the bad, and those occasional matches where everything just clicks together I really feel are a high note unachievable by any other FPS on the market, even the other current fast-paced arena shooters (Warsow, Nexuiz, etc.).

Closest runners up for favorite: Borderlands 2, Legend of Grimrock, Airmech, Walking Dead, Teletrooper... misc indies.

Expected to be my favorite but wasn't: Diablo III, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, MechWarrior Online (delayed), Bioshock Infinite (delayed)
---
Latest: Top 10 Skeletons in Capcom's Closet
Right here on GameFAQs at http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2511.html
#2BIadeBIadePosted 1/4/2013 1:06:34 AM
I agree.
Especially with the "screw fractals" part.
---
League of Legends - Zantoma
PSO2 JP - Rasmolov @ Ship 10
#3Subk123Posted 1/4/2013 6:58:51 PM
it baffles me that people dislike tribes for the grind and then talk about how great planetside 2 is. Or how they talk about the poor physics (more of a legitimate gripe) and then talk about how great Firefall is.

Tribes has been my most played game for a very long time, easily my GOTY
#4sabin017Posted 1/7/2013 10:50:44 PM(edited)
This game was a sobering reminder of why I enjoyed playing against people in the first place (a feeling that has dimmed to nothing over the years).

Top 5 of 2012:

5. Torchlight II
4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
3. Mass Effect 3
2. Guild Wars 2
1. Tribes: Ascend
---
http://i49.tinypic.com/33de1s2.gif