The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Will the USB to 1/4 inch cord work for a microphone on a computer?

#1AllstarSniper32Posted 10/26/2011 1:03:34 AM
Someone had a question about the cord working on a computer for the guitar and someone said that it works and you can use recording programs with it. I was just wondering if the same can be said for a microphone as well.
---
If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking systems, there would be a revolution before morning - Andrew Jackson
#2BillaferdPosted 10/26/2011 1:54:41 PM
AllstarSniper32 posted...
Someone had a question about the cord working on a computer for the guitar and someone said that it works and you can use recording programs with it. I was just wondering if the same can be said for a microphone as well.

Are you are talking about using a gender changer to plug in a microphone? I haven't even considered this case but I will see if I can find a gender changer in the basement to see if this would work. You just have to remember that you will need to set the volume way up as it is set low by default.

But on a side note, why can't you just plug the microphone into the line-in or microphone port of your computer?
#3AllstarSniper32(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2011 2:04:04 PM
The microphone uses the 1/4 jack plug in and the computer does not have one of those. We have some sort of sound box thingies but I'm convinced that they either do not work or are just really cheap ones. So I am just curious if this 1/4 to USB adapter cord will work on instruments other than a guitar.
---
If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking systems, there would be a revolution before morning - Andrew Jackson
#4wwervinPosted 10/26/2011 2:42:07 PM
I'm the one who asked about the guitar working on a computer lol but glad it does I'll definitely be recording some stuff when I get better.

Also, you can easily buy a microphone that uses USB instead of the 1/4 in jack and that will work for your computer (surprised it doesn't have built-in mic...) or if you have any of the GH/RB games the microphones they come with are USB and they work as well.
#5process999Posted 10/26/2011 3:56:14 PM
Go to radio shack and ask questions in person, you'll learn a ton.
#6RiteOfSpringPosted 10/26/2011 6:09:40 PM
Allstar, are you getting the game regardless? If so, try it out and then let us know if it worked.
#7AllstarSniper32(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2011 6:53:46 PM
Yeah I actually already have the game but it was just a question I was curious about and the microphone is specific is my friend's so I was asking on their behalf. It's not my computer so it might take me a while to try it out but once I do I'll post on here to let everyone know how it goes.
---
#8billyhad1chuckPosted 10/26/2011 7:47:34 PM
IF it doesn't fit, get an adapter.
#9AllstarSniper32(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2011 10:14:19 PM
Go to radio shack and ask questions in person, you'll learn a ton.

Nah, they kinda had trouble finding RGB cables or even knowing what they are, uh they didn't know what arctic silver thermal glue was. I'm not going to trust them I think, at least the Radio Shack which I have access to.

IF it doesn't fit, get an adapter.

I know it fits, my question was inquiring if with this adapter I wouldn't need to buy an adapter. and honestly, the idea of an adapter like this did not click in my head until this game came out, yeah it was one of those "ohhhhh" moments, not very proud moments when it is something simple. I was just informed that I will not be able to test this out until tomorrow evening sometime past 6 PM.
---
#10AllstarSniper32(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 3:02:59 PM
So this adapter cord does work for the mic. The mic still sounds muffled but hopefully we can work that out at some point. It was really just to see if this cord worked so that we wouldn't have to buy a new cord.

So I assume that this cord will work for anything that needs it but I can't test every instrument.
---