So in your opinion, is this a good way to pick up the Guitar?

#1OmniVoidPosted 11/30/2011 11:32:59 AM
I figured I'd be better off asking people who own the game and don't have profit or reputation to worry about.

If I'm trying to learn the Guitar from virtually nothing, is this a good way to go?

And I don't mean a good way to hurrdurrachieve and get a quick 1000gs or play Guitar Hero 9.

I mean a good way to really learn the Guitar. I've heard it advertised as Rosetta Stone + Guitar.

ALSO, for bonus points and intense amounts of gratitude, any recommendations on getting or looking for a cheap yet good enough guitar to play this with?
#2KeryAdamsPosted 11/30/2011 12:37:04 PM
The game is not the perfect teacher. It won't teach you much in the way of theory or practical matters and it can't catch all your bad habits (posture, technique) the way a human teacher can. But as teaching yourself goes, it's very, very good.

I think the biggest obstacle most students face when learning an instrument for the first time is that it isn't fun. My personal strategy when teaching a new player is to pick an easy song that you want to play (I help them determine what "easy" is), then start by only learning what you need to play that song. Practicing is hard work. It's boring. It's frustrating. The only way you're going to stick with it is to accomplish something that gives you a sense of achievement. So rather than years of exercises to learn scales and chords and playing the less-than-catchy etudes in a method book, learn what you want. At least when you get frustrated in the future, you can fall back to playing those easy songs you love and you'll always be able to enjoy the instrument.

That's exactly what Rocksmith does. The first thing you're going to play is a famous a Rolling Stones riff. I think the second song it has you play is a Black Keys song that's on pop radio right now. They're both instantly recognizable and they're great for beginners. It's brilliant.

You can get pretty far with the game alone, and it will give you something of a foundation. You'll learn the fundamental techniques of playing the guitar, and you'll pick up a library of songs to fall back on when you get frustrated in the future. Hopefully, for many players it will open doors to pursuing further learning outside the game. I can't recommend it enough despite its limitations, because it does what we always thought impossible: It makes practice fun.

As for a guitar, I think the one that comes with the bundle is a good choice among entry level instruments. It's a Les Paul, which is a very popular style and is generally pretty easy to play and comfortable to most players' hands. But choosing your first guitar is something of a balancing act. If you spend a lot on a nice guitar and then decide not to stick with it, you stand to lose quite a bit of money. On the other hand, a cheaper guitar is (generally speaking) going to be harder to play and go out of tune more quickly and just not sound as good. Those defects can actually frustrate you and make you give up when a nicer guitar would have kept you motivated!

But there are only a few qualities to focus on when you go guitar shopping:

1. Does it sound good? The function of the guitar is to make music, so if it doesn't sound good, what's the point?

2. Does it feel good? If it's not comfortable in your hands, playing it will be a chore. It should be a joy!

3. Is it easy to play? Same as above, really.

4. Does it stay in tune? Learning guitar is hard enough. You don't need unnecessary frustration.

5. Will you want to play it? Some guitars just beg to be played. Get something that suits your style.

If you're not sure how to judge those things, get the advice of a friend who plays or the guys who work in your local music shop. Chances are they work there because they're passionate about music, and they love to introduce a newbie to something they care so much about. But do go in with a budget in mind and don't break it, just in case. To give you an idea, you can get a near-perfect solidbody electric guitar (like a Fender Stratocaster) for under $400. You can get something playable for around $150-200. Any less than that, I would be wary. Which is why I think, if you like Les Pauls, the bundle guitar is the best bet.
#3wwervinPosted 11/30/2011 2:35:42 PM
Yeah this game is not a teacher, it's only a very good way to get people to pick up their guitars and actually play. That's the most tedious part of starting out, since you don't know how to play anything and your fingers aren't used to the strings or to moving around the fretboard. As far as music theory goes, it's not completely necessary, but it does help, and this game won't teach you much of that.

I think if you have the right amount of ambition to learn, this game certainly helps you since you will get the practice you need just by playing it. It'll teach you much of the basics so you can get a good foundation and it will make the instrument much more enjoyable. If you really do plan on learning, this is a great start.

As for a starting axe, I suggest getting a Dean Vendetta XM. They're selling for 100 bucks on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0014WYO0U/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

It's a great guitar for beginners I suppose. If you want to go up in range to 200-300$ you can pick up an Epiphone or a high end Squier Stratocaster. Any other decent guitar will probably cost you more than that but do head into a music store and try out the instruments. Maybe you can find a good deal. Buying used is also an option.
#4AznDoDoPosted 12/1/2011 10:35:35 AM
I'm a newbie at guitar. I had my guitar for a year but I hate to admit this, as much as I would like to learn to play guitar, my willpower to learn it wasn't there.

There are private music lessons, music classes, Youtube video, online and DVD lessons that varies in effectiveness and fun from each individual. Rocksmith is just an additional method on top of that, and at least to me, it's fun.

Rocksmith is overall very 'relaxed' and in some ways 'hands off' like what people say. It up to you to take the most advantage of Rocksmith. For example, there's time when I hit the E chord, the game registered as a successful E chord, but using my ears I can tell I may not press some of my fingers hard enough, and some of the notes were weak or buzzed, so I made the distinction I made a mistake and not take the game's word for it.

Another example, I played the song "Satisifaction - Rolling Stone" as Chords. I could not switch to the D chord on will for the life of me at first...my ring finger always snap to the wrong string, and also I don't even know what the B5 chord is lol. So I checked out the Chords for the song, learn and practice them. Practice switching between them with the Riff Repeater lessons and/or outside of Rocksmith, and now I'm seeing tremendous (still not even close to perfect lol) improvements with my playing with that song.

In my opinion, the two most important things for a beginner guitarists. A guitar that sounds decent and have no or minimal problems. No guitarist, especially beginners want to deal with string buzzing or intonation problems. And second, newbie want to see themselves improving. It's frustrating and discouraging if you don't feel like you're learning anything or seeing any improvements.
#5bleeatch21Posted 12/1/2011 10:38:46 AM
yes, however, if you are serious you need to practice out of game, also you need an amp.
---
GT: Mixed Herbs
#6AznDoDoPosted 12/1/2011 10:51:35 AM
You can use the Rocksmith in-game Amp Effects and the TV speaker as an "amp". Sometimes I just practice in the Amp Effects screen since I'm too lazy to disconnect from Xbox and plug into my amp. And I have a crappy starter pack amp. ;D Only thing is my TV speaker is kind of crap, but it decent for just practice playing.
#7A_Nile_Ate_HerPosted 12/1/2011 12:22:29 PM
I'm learning quickly with it. I was too lazy to learn it before but the gameplay aspect is motivating.
#8A_Nile_Ate_HerPosted 12/1/2011 12:23:39 PM
Opeth - The Drapery Falls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4
#9NemefistPosted 12/1/2011 10:21:17 PM
I would recommend taking lessons along with using this game. At least for a few weeks, just so you can get finger positioning and other skills down correctly. I'm no professional musician, but learning something the *wrong* way will hamper your skills down the road. If your fingers are not in the correct posture, it could have an effect on your speed / shredding ability later on. And the process of unlearning bad habits will be painful.

That being said, this game is a fun way to give you much needed practice. It doesn't even feel like practice because you're just rocking out and having fun.The biggest problem I find with just using a teacher is that they usually start you out with really simple and boring stuff. There really is no way a human being can spice up the experience of beginning this instrument. However, this game can do that quite easily. Instead of playing mary had a little lamb on your guitar, you can rock out to your favorite tunes. Even though you'll be forced to play 1-2 notes instead of an entire riff (if you can't handle it), this game still gives you that feeling of accomplishment. You should've seen me today, I was playing "go with the flow" by the queens of the stone age, totally rocking out. Head smashing, moving my body to the music while playing 1 noters. It was an absolutely incredible experience; This game helps in that it allows you to enjoy the instrument without playing eric clapton solos.
#10ikancuPosted 12/1/2011 11:48:56 PM
It's hard to say if Rocksmith is a good way to learn to play guitar. I will say once you get to where you can fret and pick decently Rocksmith is a blast.

The thing about learning to play guitar (or any other instrument) is that it gets very frustrating when you are just beginning. You have to force yourself to struggle through it and persevere.

What I mean is it is very frustrating when you know what to do but your damned fingers and picking hand won't cooperate. You fret the wrong notes or don't fret them properly and you pick the wrong strings and so on.

That is something you are going to have to be prepared to struggle through. And the only way to work through it is by practicing (and continuing to get frustrated). But if you stick with it oh, the joy. The frustration, setbacks, the rage, it will all have been worth it. If you're truly passionate about playing guitar anyway.
---
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson