So this HDMI lag is absolutely silly.

#11TKUKGPosted 10/10/2012 8:54:04 AM
Zero lag here with my sony bravia.
#12KeryAdamsPosted 10/15/2012 11:13:20 AM
TC doesn't understand that what he's asking the developers to do is impossible. There is simply no way to bypass your HDTV's processing time except to put the sound out through external speakers and not go through the TV at all. You can calibrate video lag, but there's nothing you can do to make an inherently slow process faster.

The game prompts you to play a note. Then you play the note. Your guitar sends an analog sound signal to your Xbox. Your Xbox sends a digital sound system to your TV. Your TV processes it the way it does all digital sound signals, and this takes a few milliseconds. Adjusting the video lag will not have any effect on this, as it's only going to move the visual prompt. There will still be lag between when you pluck the string and when the sound comes out of your TV, unless you stop putting the sound through a slow TV.

I don't know why you even have a receiver if you're routing the sound and the video the TV. The whole point of a receiver is to distribute the sound to different speakers and the video only to the TV.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Rocksmith, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil
#13milhouseVH(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2012 2:57:10 AM
KeryAdams posted...
TC doesn't understand that what he's asking the developers to do is impossible. There is simply no way to bypass your HDTV's processing time except to put the sound out through external speakers and not go through the TV at all. You can calibrate video lag, but there's nothing you can do to make an inherently slow process faster.

The game prompts you to play a note. Then you play the note. Your guitar sends an analog sound signal to your Xbox. Your Xbox sends a digital sound system to your TV. Your TV processes it the way it does all digital sound signals, and this takes a few milliseconds. Adjusting the video lag will not have any effect on this, as it's only going to move the visual prompt. There will still be lag between when you pluck the string and when the sound comes out of your TV, unless you stop putting the sound through a slow TV.

I don't know why you even have a receiver if you're routing the sound and the video the TV. The whole point of a receiver is to distribute the sound to different speakers and the video only to the TV.

I'm routing all of my HDMI devices into the receiver, and from there via one HDMI cable into the TV, using the Audio Return Channel. This means that the audio leaves for the speakers at the same time as it leaves for the TV. If it takes longer to appear on the TV (since video processing is more intensive than audio processing) adjusting the lag on my receiver would compensate for this.

My complaint isn't related to the game prompting me to play notes, the issue is there in the amp simulator mode, too. That has no bearing on the TV, I could turn the screen off and still hear the delay. I'm saying the AD converter inside the RealTone cable (incidentally, the Xbox receives a digital signal, sending analog audio signals over USB is not possible) is laggy, and causes latency before the Xbox is even involved.

I'm saying I have amp simulators even on my phone which have near-zero latency between strumming a note and hearing the processed audio. And yes, they have that low latency when plugged into my AV receiver, too, so the receiver isn't at fault either.
---
Did you see that movie where they send a nuclear submarine to fight the piranhas, and one of them swims right down the periscope and bites the guy in the eye?
#14crezwellPosted 10/19/2012 4:48:41 AM
As i said before i dont know why you're using the ARC at all. ARC is for sound that is going to your tv for the tv to then send to your amp. i.e to send a TV's internal tuner signal to the surround, or playing movies from a pen drive plugged into your TV USB port if it has one.
If your HDMI is going to your speakers first then you dont need to use ARC. I use my Onkyo amp with no lag so i can only assume its the ARC setting thats causing your lag, cus the sound is being received by your amp, sent to your tv, then ARC is sending it back to the amp to output, so with that setup you will get lag.
#15KeryAdamsPosted 10/19/2012 9:53:19 AM
milhouseVH posted...
KeryAdams posted...

I'm routing all of my HDMI devices into the receiver, and from there via one HDMI cable into the TV, using the Audio Return Channel. This means that the audio leaves for the speakers at the same time as it leaves for the TV. If it takes longer to appear on the TV (since video processing is more intensive than audio processing) adjusting the lag on my receiver would compensate for this.

My complaint isn't related to the game prompting me to play notes, the issue is there in the amp simulator mode, too. That has no bearing on the TV, I could turn the screen off and still hear the delay. I'm saying the AD converter inside the RealTone cable (incidentally, the Xbox receives a digital signal, sending analog audio signals over USB is not possible) is laggy, and causes latency before the Xbox is even involved.

I'm saying I have amp simulators even on my phone which have near-zero latency between strumming a note and hearing the processed audio. And yes, they have that low latency when plugged into my AV receiver, too, so the receiver isn't at fault either.

Look, I know I'm not explaining this that elegantly, but the bottom line is that I have virtually zero lag using the recommended setup - sound to a home theater, then straight to its speakers, video only to the TV. I'm still using the RealTone cable and the Xbox, so you can't blame the lag on either one of those. It's well-documented that when you route your sound through an HDTV, you're going to have audio lag with this game. If you put the sound straight through external speakers or headphones, you shouldn't have a problem. It's that simple.
---
#16Sith JediPosted 11/2/2012 10:16:05 AM
I know I'm responding to an old topic but...again TC, what you're asking is literally impossible. When you play a note, the time it takes the signal to go from your pickups, to the console, get processed and leave the console is a couple milliseconds...not perceptible at all. Once it leaves the console, there's nothing else the game or the console can do, so all lag comes from your audio equipment. So it's the combination of your TV/receiver that is progressing audio slower than your phone. The only way the game could eliminate that lag is if the sound came out of your guitar BEFORE you played it.

TVs and sound systems aren't made for playing instruments on, so they don't bother using higher quality audio processing when 100-200ms isn't really noticeable while watching TV.
#17KeryAdamsPosted 11/2/2012 12:22:18 PM
It's not an issue of sound processing quality with the TV or stereo... no processing at all is instant. It's actually more processing to create better quality sound for TV and movies... and it's acceptable for this to be slow not because it isn't noticeable, but because similar video processing delays make it sync up. HDTV's have video lag, as well. That's why you need to calibrate the video lag on Guitar Hero with your HDTV, but you don't if you play it on a CRT.

Anyway, I feel we've settled it. The lag is not the game or the console's fault. It's the TV or the receiver. If the TC bypasses them and puts the sound directly into speakers or headphones, he'll have no lag like the rest of us.
---