Guitar N00b

#1danw15yrPosted 11/5/2012 1:41:40 AM
Hey guys, i have absolutely no idea how to play guitar and was wondering how this game works, i do have a guitar in the house i could use.

Like will this basically teach me to play?

Cheers for any info.
---
------
We've decided to stop using the term "work, life balance" as this implies that your life has meaning.
#2KeryAdamsPosted 11/5/2012 6:41:57 AM
Yeah, the game will get you playing. You'll end up training your fingers and learning some techniques and songs, and it makes practicing fun. You won't learn much in the way of theory, so you won't really know how to improvise, or write your own music, etc. But you'll be able to bust out a few famous riffs and solos, and if you find you really enjoy playing, it'll hopefully be the motivation you need to start taking some lessons. It's definitely worth the money, especially if you enjoy games like Guitar Hero or if you've just ever wanted to learn to play.

Regarding your guitar, I recommend taking it to a music shop and letting a qualified luthier or guitar tech set it up for you. Learning is difficult and can be frustrating at times, and a bad guitar is only going to add to that frustration. Let a tech look at it and give you a quote on what it would cost to set it up.

In short, what that entails: Guitars are (usually) made of wood, and wood expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity. Strings under tension are putting a constant pull on the neck. To counter this, most guitars have a steel truss rod inside the neck which can be tightened to apply counterforce and keep the neck from bending too much under tension. This truss rod requires occasional adjustment, especially if you switch to a different kind of string (lighter or heavier) or tuning. That's just one of a few adjustments that your guitar may need. It'll take a tech or luthier to know exactly what your axe needs. Even if the guitar gets played daily, you'll want to have it set up at least once a year. And even if you're handy, I don't reccomend trying to do it yourself unless you're also a seasoned player.

Anyway, I do suggest you pick it up. I've had a lot of fun with it and learned a few things despite having played guitar for nearly a decade before getting the game. Just make sure you're setting yourself up for success with a well-maintained instrument.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Rocksmith, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil
#3danw15yr(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 11:43:26 AM
Ok mate cheers :) I'll probably pick it up
---
------
We've decided to stop using the term "work, life balance" as this implies that your life has meaning.
#4Sionnach_OghmaPosted 11/23/2012 2:10:34 AM
Another newbie here, wondering what's the minimum I should expect to pay for a decent entry-level guitar. Saw one on sale in a bog-standard supermarket for 20, but I wouldn't know if it would even be worth taking to the counter. What kind of prices am I looking at in a proper music store?
#5KeryAdamsPosted 11/23/2012 6:51:11 AM
You can get something playable new for around $100-200 USD (roughly 75 to 150 Euros). I would be wary of anything less than that. You can get very good guitars for $400 to 600, but that's a bit much for most budgets if you're not sure you'll stick with it.

Obviously, you can find much better deals on used instruments, but have an experienced player or guitar tech/luthier take a look at any instrument before you buy it, if possible. It's not unlike buying a used car.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Legend of Zelda II, Resident Evil 3, Castlevania: SotN, Rocksmith