*IMPORTANT* Toys R Us Error on $100/Figure Rewards Promo

#1TheUncleBobPosted 11/8/2011 1:23:05 AM(edited)
This is a public service announcement for anyone participating in the Toys R Us promo for Skylanders.

tl;dr version: the Strategy Guide and two adventure packs are currently not counting towards the $100 total. If you were planning on one or more of these items to get you to that next $100 bump, you're currently out of luck. Additionally, newly released figures MAY NOT COUNT towards your total.

The Promotional Details:
https://rewardsrus.toysrus.com/promotions.cfm

Details are a little sketchy, but, according to the details of the promotion and the information provided to me by Toys R Us customer service, any "eligible" Skylanders purchases made in store between the release date of the game and 12/24/11 while using your Toys R Us rewards card, the amount of the Skylanders merchandise is totaled - for every $100 you spend, you're supposed to receive, via e-mail, a coupon for a free Skylanders figure at the end of the promotional period (i.e.: after December 24th).
#2TheUncleBob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 1:20:53 AM
The Error:
After it was pointed out in another thread here on GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/625204-skylanders-spyros-adventure/60818281), I went onto my rewards account (go to https://rewardsrus.toysrus.com/consumer/purchases.cfm and log in), I noticed three Skylanders items I purchased were not showing as eligible for the promotion (they did not have the "S" icon next to them).

These three items are:
Strategy Guide
Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack
Pirate Seas Adventure Pack

Depending on how you purchased these, this could be upwards of $60 towards the promotion you're missing out on (in my case, it's $31.32).

The "Answer":
After speaking with a couple of Toys R Us reps over the phone, the "answer", I got was, basically, there's a set list of eligible UPCs. If the item you purchase is not on the list of eligible items, then you're out of luck.

In the case of the strategy guide or any to-be-released figures, they're simply not on the list. Period. That's not to say they might not be added later... but, for now, they're a no-go. Even more fun on the Strategy Guide, on the Rewards site, it shows up as "AMER FUN HOME VIDEO DVD GAME" (which, of course, it's not... at all).

For the two Adventure Packs, this gets more interesting. I had the rep read off the list of eligible items - she named the starter packs, the individual figures, the mufti-packs (including the Legendary pack)... and then the two Adventure Packs (by name). I had her look at my Rewards card and read off the items that weren't showing as eligible (I *thought* it was the two adventure packs, but I didn't have the list in front of me when they called me back and I wasn't 100% sure)... she read them off, then, I assume, looked back at her list and agreed that it didn't make sense. She put me on hold, then came back and said she'd call me back shortly, she had to send this up - because it wasn't making sense to her either, as to why the two Adventure Packs weren't showing as eligible, even though the promotion clearly listed them.

When she called back, she simply said it was a "no-go" - the items weren't eligible because the UPCs didn't match. I asked her if she had a list of the UPCs. She did! Awesome. I asked her if she could read off the UPCs for the "eligible" versions of the Adventure Packs. I wrote them down... then mentioned that I worked for "the competition" and was going to punch those into our system to see what they came up as...

...and this is where it gets interesting. The two UPCs (which differed from the ones on the packages) were for the "6-PK" shipping case of the Adventure Packs (with a cost of about $90).... not the individual pack. And who's going to buy a full case of six of these? And, even if you did, they'd scan them individually, not the entire case.

The "Solution":
She still explained I was out of luck and that my only recourse at this point was to write them directly. I've written my letter up at this point and will be mailing it out tomorrow in hopes of getting this all fixed.

I STRONGLY suggest doing the same if you were planning on either of these three items to count towards your $100 total. Also, keep your receipts. :D

The address to write is:

TRU inc, HQ
Attn: Promotions (Skylanders)
1 Geoffrey Way
Wayne, NJ 07470

Hopefully, we can get this fixed. I want my free toys! :D
#3DahvooPosted 11/8/2011 8:59:39 AM
Good looking out Jooky. Do you happen to know how long it takes for a qualifying purchase to have the Skylander "S" show up on rewardsrus.toysrus.com?

I just purchased the 3DS Starter pack, 4 single packs, and the Legendary 3 pack this past weekend (November 5th). They show up as purchases on rewards.toysrus.com, but they don't have the "S" next to them. I bought 6 single packs in October, and those all have the "S".
---
GT/PSN: Dahvoo
3DS FC: 0946-2251-0734
#4MulticronPosted 11/8/2011 9:48:11 AM
Can pretty much confirm everything OP said. Same deal. Luckily, I had $109 of other Skylanders stuff, so I should get at least one coupon.
---
XBL: MulticronX :: PSN: Multicron :: Wii: 2126 3783 2647 1690
#5TheUncleBob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2011 8:48:32 PM
I want to make a few replies, but due to the way the boards are set up, it's ugly to do... some of these replies are to comments made in this thread on the other forums.

Before I do that, though, for those interested in information on Wave 2, I posted a topic on the 3DS forum with a little bit of information about them that might be of interest.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633234-skylanders-spyros-adventure/60945072

Globalstocks posted...
I figured it was a scam. Its just a free figure anyway nothing exclusive. It would have said in the ad.

I don't think it's a scam... as far as if it's going to be an exclusive figure, my wild guess is that once the coupons are sent out, TRU will probably receive a shipment of Legendary Trigger Happy figures as an "exclusive" - for anyone to purchase, but, likely, those of us with coupons will get it. This is nothing but speculation on my part though.

StrmCentry posted...
Under my rewards account everything that I paid for counts including Darklight Crypt, the ones that do not count are the items that I got for free with TRU's buy 2 get 1 promo.

I received Pirate Seas, a 3 Pack, and a Single for free and those are the only ones that do not count for the promo. Everything else that I paid for has the symbol next to it and adds up to more than $100.

It's interesting that your Darklight Crypt seems to count towards the promo - do you have the package or the receipt with the UPC number on it?

As for the "free" items not counting - they did on mine.

Multicron posted...
Can pretty much confirm everything OP said. Same deal. Luckily, I had $109 of other Skylanders stuff, so I should get at least one coupon.

Yup - getting one myself - but, still would like to get it fixed. :D
Sucks for those who are expecting these items to count towards their total...

djrod posted...
Good looking out Jooky. Do you happen to know how long it takes for a qualifying purchase to have the Skylander "S" show up on rewardsrus.toysrus.com?

I just purchased the 3DS Starter pack, 4 single packs, and the Legendary 3 pack this past weekend (November 5th). They show up as purchases on rewards.toysrus.com, but they don't have the "S" next to them. I bought 6 single packs in October, and those all have the "S".

I haven't a clue how long it takes - it was several days before I even knew I could review it online. :D Curious, are they showing as eligible yet?
#6DahvooPosted 11/10/2011 8:17:57 AM
JookySeaCaptain posted...
I haven't a clue how long it takes - it was several days before I even knew I could review it online. :D Curious, are they showing as eligible yet?

I just checked this morning and still not listed with the "S"...

I called this past Tuesday (Nov 8th), and the rep said didn't know why they weren't listed with the "S" and kept me on hold for a few minutes trying to get an answer, then said she would forward my question and I would get a call back in 3-5 days.

If they still aren't listed with the "S" by next week, I'll give them another call.
---
GT/PSN: Dahvoo
3DS FC: 0946-2251-0734
#7clowndiscusPosted 11/15/2011 9:00:40 PM
i just checked my rewards, so far $559.00 i have spend on skylanders so that means 5 free coupons!
#8LordElohimPosted 11/16/2011 3:32:42 AM
If you don't mind my asking, how in the world did you end up spending that much? Wow. Did you buy Skylanders as a gift for everyone you know?
---
GamerTag: Lord Elohim PS3 - LordElohim
Wii Friend Code - 6305-2140-0177-8679 Name: Elohim
#9TheUncleBob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 6:28:51 AM
I received my confirmation that my letter was signed for/delivered yesterday (the actual delivery took place on the 14th). When I logged into my account late last night, both Adventure Packs are now showing as eligible in the Skylanders promotion. I don't know if my letter fixed it or if it worked itself out, but yay either way.

Sadly, the strategy guide is still showing "AMER FUN HOME VIDEO DVD GAME". :(
#10zomphoenixPosted 11/18/2011 10:08:44 AM
I just checked my rewards r us status and the ones the you had problems with are all ok they must have fixed the problem. I did notice the the qualifying cost is double the purchase cost, so I hope that means for every $100 you spend that you actually get 2 free.
---
Free iPhone goto http://mysite.verizon.net/resx653n/ and follow the instructions simple as that.