Bad news everyone.

#1megax11Posted 12/23/2011 9:16:40 PM
Like waiting on Skylanders to be released? You don't? Might want to turn away.

There is an Ebay listing for a German Skylanders catalog. In this catalog, you got information about upcoming releases, including 3-packs like Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant and Double Trouble, or Ignitor, Warnado and Camo, and another you can't make out.

It shows things like a single pack Ignitor coming out.

What it also shows, is some ridiculous release dates. Now we all know that the last time German release dates were made for wave 2 characters, they came out here around the time they listed their dates.

Ready for disappointment? I sure hope so.

January: Slam Bam(adventure pack), Double Trouble (single), Double Trouble/Whirlwind/Drill Sergeant (triple pack) and Cynder

Easter: (3 MONTHS AFTER JANUARY) Sunburn (adventure pack), Lightning Rod, Zook (all single pack), Lightning Rod/Cynder/Zook (triple pack)

Oh get this, it gets better *rolls eyes*

June: Ignitor (single pack), Camo (single pack) and Warnado (single pack). Ignitor/Camo/Warnado (triple pack).

So that leaves just Wham Shell, right? Oh yeah, I'm going there...

SEPTEMBER 2012: Wham Shell.

WHAT A LOAD OF BULL S***!

Read it and be prepared to hide in a corner.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SKYLANDERS-KATALOG-sehr-geringe-Auflage-Deutsch-/250957288344?pt=de_entertainment_games&hash=item3a6e385398
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1306 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28
#2Bear_in_ActionPosted 12/23/2011 9:48:04 PM
Thanks for sharing. I do feel bad for those who are waiting to collect the whole thing, but I think I also understand the way they handle the releases (not the lack of communication, though).
This game is aimed at kids, mainly, I do think that unlike us adults, most kids lose their interest quickly, yet can be refreshed and excited easily.
So releasing all figures quickly may 1) stress the parents out, since they are usually paying, and 2) result in kids' quick loss of interest, especially when the parents say, "no, I'm not buying anymore until ____" (and then the kids move onto something else)

But if they stretch the release dates, parents may be more willing to purchase the figures. And while the kids may have forgotten about the game, when they see new figures in store, they may be excited all over again (like discovering new pokemons).

On a side note, I really want that catalog...
#3Teeg92Posted 12/23/2011 9:49:24 PM
Following the train of thought from the encryption thread (though not the encryption part itself), wouldn't it make more sense that maybe those were the some earlier release dates? Maybe since they sold more than they had originally expected, they'll push the release dates forward. They did that with Hex/Dino-Rang/Wrecking Ball. Besides, it's a catalog on ebay. I don't think this is enough reason to just assume the whole set wont be out until halfway through the next year.
#4zinformantPosted 12/23/2011 10:02:32 PM(edited)
Read the title and knew what it had to be about. Read who made the topic and got worried that whatever it is...is likely.
Seems you're right. I don't in any way approve of the possible June release date for Warnado. It's not so much that I want this character so much as they advertise him in chapter 4, say, in the first couple hours of the game. If we bought at release, that's a pretty long, unjustifiable wait. I feel bad for the kids who want him. I don't matter, but their broken hearts are another story.

I'll probably finish the characters I have and bench the game until the fall or something...that's a bother, but whatever. The ball is in Activision's court to somehow keep interest in this game until summer. Posting holiday cards and caption contests on their Wall is insufficient. This could easily pass by if they don't do something. If kids haven't undusted the Portal in six months, what's keeping it from sitting there another six months? Many kids will get disinterested and not come back. I hope their sales see a nice exponential decline as we approach Q3 2012.

Last thought...let's pretend Walmart's dates weren't fillers. I suspect this because didn't they change it to June? That suggests it was the manufacturer who changed it. What happened here? No, it wasn't encryption. Short supply can't be it, either, because they could still roll over the wave 3 etc characters before, you know, the fall.
---
I'm gonna go butter up my pooper with it real good!
#5Teeg92Posted 12/23/2011 10:18:43 PM
Well I was never for the encryption idea, but I was referring to what someone said in the encryption thread. There were some good points made in it. Maybe because they weren't expecting the huge success they saw, they never even bothered to make wave 3, and there simply aren't any to distribute. Why waste the money on making all the figures if the game flopped? Why not use profits from the first wave to fuel the fires of the second, and second for third and so on? Throwing out the second wave was probably a way to keep us interested until they could get wave 3 out with the new year. I'm not saying this is exactly what happened, but it makes more sense to me than just about any other explanation out there. You simply can't wait until June to have all of them released, but yes a few months in between each wave would help parents out. Seeing just how much positive buzz they are getting is bound to speed things up.
#6zinformantPosted 12/23/2011 10:30:37 PM
Teeg92 posted...
but yes a few months in between each wave would help parents out.

I understand where you're coming from. They'll have more disposable income as time goes on, but many parents are not going to be wanting to get a Skylander every few months. Just because we're accepting of this "waste of money" doesn't mean many others are. I stand by my prediction that there's a better chance a kid will pick up Voodood if s/he is looking for a Skylander that isn't released on the shelf. This will go on for months, and it's all $$$ that parents wouldn't be otherwise spending if, say, the kid could get their Camo and then be done with it. I'd wager for most kids, this won't be "catch 'em all", more like "choose your Servant". They'll go for closer to ten than thirty figures. With this release schedule, however, that ten will approach thirty more than it otherwise might.
---
#7megax11(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 10:43:15 PM
But here's a scenario no one thinks about.

Activision stalls the games sellthrough, by holding back for so long on figures, that they then cancel the remaining toys, because they see the game doesn't have legs. However, those legs were clipped by them, for their stupid practice of waiting so long, thus killing interest, and not us.

They will then come at us with "Well, the toys started declining in sales, so we decided to cancel the remaining toys." Why? Because they didn't take into account kids' short attention spans.

Timmy: Mommy, I want Wham Shell.

Mommy: Sorry, sweety, he will be out within the next 6-9 months. That's the only answer I have to give.

Timmy: Oh, well, I don't want to play this game anymore.

Wham Shell comes out and lacks sales, because people gave up waiting and moved onto different things. Activision will somehow say it is our fault.
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1306 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28
#8zinformantPosted 12/23/2011 10:52:06 PM
I sort of alluded to that by mentioning kids will move on and, hopefully, sales will drop, thus sending a certain message to our buds at Activision...and your change in tone is interesting considering you've been relatively positive compared to the rest of us about the fact that we don't have all 32 by, well, now. Is the possibility of September a little too out there? Suppose the latest is June. Is that still reasonable?
---
#9megax11(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 11:43:15 PM
zinformant posted...
I sort of alluded to that by mentioning kids will move on and, hopefully, sales will drop, thus sending a certain message to our buds at Activision...and your change in tone is interesting considering you've been relatively positive compared to the rest of us about the fact that we don't have all 32 by, well, now. Is the possibility of September a little too out there? Suppose the latest is June. Is that still reasonable?

June for all would be reasonable, if they space them out well enough.

3 characters per wave, except for last wave, whch would be 4 (Ignitor), at the releases of January, mid-March, June. That's a 2 1/2 month wait between each wave.

I wouldn't be mad about this, if I thought the stores would keep their displays up for the long haul. However, for that to happen, the toys have to keep selling, or they will downsize the Skylanders section, making it harder to obtain characters.
---
#10thebobevilPosted 12/24/2011 2:35:34 AM(edited)
1) That information is from an ebay listing. Yes, it may be scans of an official looking catalogue, but still ... Also, it's for Germany, and they already have different distribution deals for Skylanders than the rest of the world with their 9-packs, 12-packs and mega packs.

2) Many retailers who don't have solid dates will invent dates, which will come to bite them in the ass on occasion ... for example, Amazon.co.uk is showing January for Skylanders products already available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hex+skylanders&x=0&y=0

It really is still a case of wait and see.
---
I'm not sure which aspect of getting older hits me harder ... finding out that someone my age has died, or finding out that someone my age is a grandparent.