Difference between Lucifer and Satan?

#1Deathx113Posted 4/12/2011 12:23:17 PM
I never knew there was a difference... what is it? =o

thank you =D
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of
it put this in your sig. <(^_^)v This message was in Deathx113's opinion
#2BumblesqueePosted 4/12/2011 12:43:22 PM(edited)
Do you mean in SMT or... generally, in mythology?

Speaking generally, Lucifer is actually the name for the morning star in Latin, if I remember right. I don't know why but, over time, people have begun to use it as one of many alternate names for the Devil. Satan is either an angel/fallen angel, depending on what holy text you're reading. In Judaism, though, it's actually just a general word for those who challenge the faith of others rather than the name of a specific individual.

...I think. Blerp.
---
I have accepted Goichi Suda as my Lord and Saviour. In the name of Harman.
#3Deathx113(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2011 12:49:16 PM
Oh I always used Lucifer, Satan and Devil interchangeably.. >_<

Oh but I meant in SMT, but the mythology was really cool too!
---
#4scorch109Posted 4/12/2011 12:50:32 PM
They're different fallen angels, the misconception is because of a heavily misinterpreted line, Isiah 14:12 "How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations!" The lucifer in that literally means morning star not the angel.
---
"The Bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written." Noam Chomsky
#5Strain42Posted 4/12/2011 1:31:45 PM
in MegaTen purposes Lucifer usually acts more of a puppet master. He often grabs a human form and interacts with the player. He usually becomes Louis Cypher (or other names depending on his form, like in Strange Journey)

Lucifer is generally considered stronger than Satan in most games he appears in.

Also I could be mistaken here but in many of the older MegaTen games isn't Satan usually more of a lawful demon as opposed to Lucifer's chaotic natures?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://user.drunkduck.com/Strain42
#6Deathx113(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2011 1:36:14 PM
hm alright...

So wait in Devil Survivor 1 who was the secret boss at the end? Satan or Lucifer?

er were they both in that game?
---
#7GenoWhirl24Posted 4/12/2011 3:07:06 PM
Only Lucifer was on Devil Survivor
---
BlazBlue Main: Rachel
PSN: genow
#8ZendaikPosted 4/13/2011 9:43:29 PM
In SMT Satan is the judge of God/YHVH and Lucifer is the devil.
---
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos
#9KrakenPosted 4/13/2011 9:58:06 PM
Yeah, it's quite an interesting twist, making them two different beings (and in particular Satan being an agent of God). But I dont think Satan has had any real storyline significance for a looooong time, so hopefully they let him have some sort of a role soonish.
---
"I would say she saved him, the same way someone that dives on a grenade saves on burial costs." - Alkanshel on FFT
#10BumblesqueePosted 4/14/2011 3:08:44 AM
Yeah, it's quite an interesting twist, making them two different beings (and in particular Satan being an agent of God).

Well, technically, Satan originally was an agent of God. It was changed to what most people recognise as Satan (fallen angel/big scary devil) in the mythos' transition from Judaism to Christianity/Islam.

Basically, fanfiction completely changed his character, hurhur.
---
I have accepted Goichi Suda as my Lord and Saviour. In the name of Harman.