Upgrade standard handgun or use Punisher?

#1sboykin1Posted 10/26/2012 2:05:04 PM
^^

Also, what guns should I buy and upgrade and which should I try to avoid?

Thanks in advance...
---
"Take these acid rounds, they are good against living things." -Barry from RE
#2JoveHackPosted 10/26/2012 2:38:11 PM(edited)
- Learn to use the knife, particularly on downed enemies. Shoot single enemies in the knees/legs to get them on the ground. Practice running up and knifing them. This can save a ton of ammo early on when you need it.

Some posters will recommend head/knee shots to set up kicks in crowds. If you're good enough to do this, it's great. If not, it isn't.

- Don't waste a single peseta on any weapon you're not going to keep to the end of the game. You can't afford it.

- Capacity upgrades refill the magazine of a weapon. So does the Exclusive upgrade. So don't do those upgrades unless the weapon is empty or nearly so.

- Obsessively collect treasures: buy the maps and check them often!

Grenades
Practice with them a lot. Save, practice, and reload.

Handgun:

The Blacktail is great for newbies. Fires fast, hits hard, holds a lot of ammo, aims quickly, reloads quickly. That means it's much more forgiving of mistakes. Upgrades to be a hard-hitting weapon with 4.5 dmg per shot. It's first available at the Castle.

I used to like pointing at an enemy and holding down the shoot button for autofire. That dealt with him while I tried to figure out what was going on.

The Red 9 is steadier, with the stock it's very steady. But it fires slowly, doesn't hold much ammo, reloads slowly, and doesn't aim as fast. It eventually upgrades to 6.5 damage per shot, which is more than the starting shotgun. It's what I use these days, now that I know what's going to happen before it starts, and can finally aim in a hurry.

Get all 15 targets for the Punisher at 1.1 dmg. Sell the starting handgun then and switch to the Punisher. When you get the Blacktail/Red 9 (whichever you prefer), sell the Punisher.

Shotgun

The shotgun is only useful at very close range. It's good for groups/knockdown. Don't waste shells on anything else. If it's on the ground, knife it or shoot it with the handgun.

I use the found early shotgun until the Striker is available. One or two capacity upgrades to buy shells from the Merchant.

The Striker is small and holds a lot of shells. Great damage, too. No contest. Not available until mid game.

TMP
Cheap, tons of cheap ammo upgrades, fires fast, accurate, large capacity from the start. Lots of preset ammo. Cheap and lots of ammo. What's not to like?

Great for single shots that don't need damage, like head/knee shots, exploding barrels, bird's nests, spinels, dynamite, pocket watches, hanging lamps, Ganados on the edge of dropoffs, etc. etc. Once it's at 100 capacity and 1 dmg it's an awesome emergency weapon.

Lets play Resident Evil 4 part 44 (Pro mode) by Snareplayer921
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcqBEaC2voQ&t=8m0s

150 rounds in one long fifteen-second burst.

Freakout included.

Magnum

Magnums penetrate shields and enemies. Learn to take advantage of this.

The Broken Butterfly will be available for free. Buy the treasure maps and constantly check them to get this weapon. Lots of capacity upgrades to buy ammo. The exclusive upgrade does 50 damage per shot.

The Killer 7 isn't available until very late, and isn't free.

Rifle
The early bolt-action rifle is a one hit kill with headshots vs a certain kind of very troublesome enemy. It's slow, but you shouldn't be wasting rifle ammo anyway. The exclusive upgrade does 30 dmg per shot. Doesn't take up nearly as much room as the semi-auto rifle.

The semi-auto rifle is much larger, aims and fires much more quickly, and is more expensive.

Those may not be the best weapons for you, depending, but they can get you through the game pretty well.

Other experienced players will probably be posting with alternatives and good arguments for them. Read them and make up your own mind.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#3sboykin1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2012 2:49:25 PM
Thanks for the elaborate answer ^
---
"Take these acid rounds, they are good against living things." -Barry from RE
#4JoveHackPosted 10/26/2012 4:42:31 PM
sboykin1 posted...
Thanks for the elaborate answer ^

This question comes up every so often, and there have been discussions on the various 4RE boards.

I've been pulling the info together and roughing it into shape. I actually took that post and put it into the PS2 Resident Evil 4 wiki.

I hope it helps.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#5lenmuttPosted 10/26/2012 6:42:36 PM
really the handgun and the punisher are not really great :(

blacktail is fast aim and fast shoot and good damage

Red9 is the pistol power house but slower in all ways compared to the black tail

@super detailed answer guy

does the hd version allow the thermal scope to be used? if TC was on the first playthough not having thermal might be bad at a later part. but aside from that I like the old school rifle ^_^
---
Izzy supports Masked man and won't change her sig till he gets in smash, and I too think Masked man is pretty cool!
#6Everbornn1972Posted 10/26/2012 10:00:36 PM
Thanks alot , JoveHack
---
The time WAS now...
#7durangodanPosted 10/31/2012 4:06:32 PM
i usually just keep the regular handgun because of it's critical hit bonus once it's fully powered up. It takes a while to level it up (the island I think) but head shots are so satisfying.

I've been playing 6, and whilst it's better than 5 it's no where near this game. Still hasn't been bettered imo.
---
XBL gamertag: durango76uk
psn: durangodan76
#8Mr__GTAPosted 11/2/2012 11:32:00 AM
My favorite is the Red9.
---
http://i.imgur.com/V1oek.png - bIindskater_
Xbox GT - Ninja Synik
#9Dante729Posted 11/5/2012 4:45:24 AM
I'd suggest the Red9/Striker/Semi-Auto/Broken Butterfly combo.

I've seen people use the TMP, but I've never fancied it myself. It is great for constantly setting people up, but when I see people use it, it tends to be in a manner in which I wouldn't, like that video that was posted. I tend to save 2 of each grenade for times like those, instead of spraying wildly into a crowd, though I suppose both ways end up working in the end.

The Red9 has fantastic stopping power, but as was said, it doesn't fire as fast, and takes longer to reload.

The Striker is amazing, has excellent damage, and once you get its exclusive, you probably won't need shotgun ammo for the rest of the playthrough, depending on how much you use it.

The Semi-Auto Rifle is my favorite weapon, because of how all purpose it can be. At a range, it goes without saying that it's good, but it also becomes quite good even at relatively close range, due to its penetration. If you have a following, depending on how calm you are, you can pull out a the Semi-Auto Rifle, and take a shot into the crowd, thus either killing, or weakening them. That being said, you can do that with the normal Bolt Action Rifle as well, but I prefer the Semi-Auto because it fires faster.

The Broken Butterfly is where I believe there really is no contest. You get it for free, and it ends up having an ending firepower of 50, which is obscene.

As I said earlier, I would suggest trying to have 2 of every grenade, and try not to waste them.

Also, some boss fights aren't really worth the ammo. If you engage a boss, and realize you're using a lot of ammo, try just buying a rocket launcher to solve the problem. That ammo can be invaluable.

My opinion aside, buy some guns, and just have some fun with them. You may like some that I don't.
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
#10Ze_Po1ar_BearPosted 11/11/2012 6:11:06 PM
In my opinion, if you're wanting to try any of the weapons at their fully upgraded state to find the best one to fit your play style, you need to beat the game first. On the second play through, sell all or most of your weapons and then buy and fully upgrade it. After that, take it to the village ambush place thingy and have it out with your new toy.