Upgrade standard handgun or use Punisher?

#11BimmyLeePosted 11/11/2012 10:10:17 PM(edited)
@Ze_Po1ar_Bear: Almost any fully upgraded weapon is way overpowered for the village ambush because the Ganados are very weak at that point, so I'm not sure that's an ideal place to test which weapons you like better; at least not fully upgraded.

@Dante729: Agree with almost all of your views. I'll just point out that the Broken Butterfly is the most expensive weapon to upgrade in the game, so I have some reservations recommending it to new players; at least I wouldn't upgrade it at the expense of my other, more important weapons.

Also, the 50.0 damage upgrade IMO comes too late to be of much use. It would've been nice to have it for the U-3 ("It") fight at least, but as it is, you only have a chance to use it on the last two JJs and on Saddler, and Saddler is easiest dealt with a rocket anyway.

Overall, I do prefer the BB over the Killer7, simply because the K7 comes way too late in the game (5-1), but it's also worth noting that if you want a cheap and powerful magnum, the un-upgraded K7 (25.0 dmg) is a bargain at 77,700 ptas. (The BB costs 140,000 ptas to upgrade to 24.0 dmg if you got the free BB in 4-1.) Additionally, there is a good portion of the game (from 5-1 till after beating U-3) when the K7 has a considerable firepower advantage over the BB.
#12ugglanPosted 11/12/2012 12:20:43 AM
Upgrade neither; stay with the 15 blue medal Punisher until the Red9 becomes available.

After doing my pro run I realized that upgrading the handguns before the Red9 is available is not necessary.
---
Make an instrumental add a little vocal; take to the stage and make the people go loco!
#13Ze_Po1ar_BearPosted 11/12/2012 4:57:28 AM
Its what I've always done and its never let me down before. Its true that most of the "zombies" you fight are weak ones, but they're the main ones you fight through most of the game anyways. They just get alittle more annoying with their helments and such.
---
Has your dyson vacum cleaner murdered anyone lately?
#14ugglanPosted 11/13/2012 8:45:00 AM
On another note; my favorite weapon combo is the SAR and the Handcannon.
---
Make an instrumental add a little vocal; take to the stage and make the people go loco!
#15Ze_Po1ar_BearPosted 11/13/2012 4:22:33 PM
My favorite is the red 9, striker, bolt-actoin, tmp, rpg combo. Basicly the pest of each type (with the exceptoin of a magnum)
---
Has your dyson vacuum cleaner murdered anyone lately?
#16Ze_Po1ar_BearPosted 11/13/2012 4:24:34 PM
meant "best"
---
Has your dyson vacuum cleaner murdered anyone lately?
#17AhrimanTheStillPosted 11/20/2012 10:28:08 PM
Red9 is probably the easiest and on average most useful handgun.
---
The big H . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxsN423EVs
#18jackstar_rockPosted 12/2/2012 4:39:47 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#19LovethepythonPosted 12/11/2012 6:12:55 AM
durangodan posted...
i usually just keep the regular handgun because of it's critical hit bonus once it's fully powered up. It takes a while to level it up (the island I think) but head shots are so satisfying.

Yeah the 'Handgun' is so underestimated, fully upgraded it has a 25% chance of a critical headshot, and unlike re5, the critical headshot also applies to the parasites spawn from heads and works on the large metal armoured enemies (with the big axe) which is useful.
---
The death cannot hear.
#20BimmyLeePosted 12/11/2012 11:12:35 AM
Ze_Po1ar_Bear posted...
Its what I've always done and its never let me down before. Its true that most of the "zombies" you fight are weak ones, but they're the main ones you fight through most of the game anyways. They just get alittle more annoying with their helments and such.

Just wanted to say that I just tested this the other day and you're right. It seems I underestimated the Pueblo ambush ganados; they're actually tougher (need more hitpoints to be killed) than both the ganados before and after the ambush. I just assumed they were weak because most of the enemies in the game get progressively stronger as you get further into the game.

I'd say chapter 5 is still the ultimate test for a weapon's worth (because the enemies there are much tougher than anything that came before), but you're right that the Pueblo ambush is a good place to test most weapons too.