How is damage calculated?

#1jackstar_rockPosted 12/2/2012 5:31:57 PM
I'm playing the Wii edition on Pro but that board seems to be dead.

Scenario: I'm using the Striker with firepower 8.0. Takes 1 shot from medium distance to knockdown the Dr. Salvador in the mines beneath the castle and another 7 up close to kill it. So simple maths should dictate that Dr. Salvador's health is around 57~64 right?

Well after hitting retry from the menu, it takes more than 3 shots (around 5~6) from a fully upgrade rifle at 30.0 firepower to kill the very same Dr. Salvador. =/ I was aiming for the head as well, not sure if that makes any difference when it comes to Dr. Salvador.

Even if it is 18.0 (the GC's stat for rifle exclusive), it doesn't add up. It should still take only 4 shots at most to kill Dr. Salvador.

I feel cheated! The only reason I chose the rifle was for that exclusive 30.0 damage. Is there something I'm missing?
#2BimmyLeePosted 12/2/2012 6:16:11 PM
Dr Salvador and Bella Sisters have a damage cap of around 6 firepower, which means that if you use a weapon with a higher firepower than that, the extra power will go wasted. (So it's not a good idea to use the BrokenButterfly or a rifle on them, for example.)

AFAIK, the only weapons that will bypass damaga-caps are the Rocket-Launcher, Handcannon, and the PRL.

If you're looking for an easy and efficient way to kill Salvador, use the shotgun to knock him down and then knife him while he's down; repeat. The knife will save you 3 or 4 shotgun shells.

Another option if you're feeling braver, you can do a "feint-retreat" (run towards him and quickly back away to dodge) to trick Salvy into swinging the chainsaw at you. Then quickly, before he recovers, use your pistol or TMP to shoot him on the face (which will stun him) and use the "kick" prompt to knock him down; knife him while he's down. Note that if you don't do a "feint-retreat" before shooting his head, the shot won't stun him.

Other than chainsaw guys, there aren't other enemies in the game with damage-caps like that, so don't worry. I think the plagas on the Gigantes and Saddler's main eye also have a damage cap but that's about it.
#3jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 6:37:31 PM
Thanks for the explanation! I feel more informed about the game's system now. ^
#4LovethepythonPosted 12/11/2012 4:01:02 AM
I'm so glad I read this! I always wondered why they take like 4-5 shots with my Killer7.

Never again will I use it on them.
---
The death cannot hear.
#5AtrumRuinaPosted 12/13/2012 11:20:43 PM
BimmyLee posted...
Dr Salvador and Bella Sisters have a damage cap of around 6 firepower, which means that if you use a weapon with a higher firepower than that, the extra power will go wasted. (So it's not a good idea to use the BrokenButterfly or a rifle on them, for example.)

AFAIK, the only weapons that will bypass damaga-caps are the Rocket-Launcher, Handcannon, and the PRL.

If you're looking for an easy and efficient way to kill Salvador, use the shotgun to knock him down and then knife him while he's down; repeat. The knife will save you 3 or 4 shotgun shells.

Another option if you're feeling braver, you can do a "feint-retreat" (run towards him and quickly back away to dodge) to trick Salvy into swinging the chainsaw at you. Then quickly, before he recovers, use your pistol or TMP to shoot him on the face (which will stun him) and use the "kick" prompt to knock him down; knife him while he's down. Note that if you don't do a "feint-retreat" before shooting his head, the shot won't stun him.

Other than chainsaw guys, there aren't other enemies in the game with damage-caps like that, so don't worry. I think the plagas on the Gigantes and Saddler's main eye also have a damage cap but that's about it.

This is really interesting information actually. Thanks a lot for posting this.

I'm still a bit curious on damage calculation though. It seems sometimes two shots will down a Ganado (to the body) and others it might take 6-7. Are criticals still possible on a Ganado's body?
---
"Suppose you throw a coin enough times. . .suppose one day, it lands on its edge." -Kain
#6BimmyLeePosted 12/14/2012 1:56:58 PM
I think critical shots are only possible on the head, but I'm not 100% sure. As for why some ganados take more body shots to die than others, this is most likely due to different ganados being stronger or weaker (even on the same area). For example, in the farm area right after the Pueblo ambush in 1-1, the Don Diego (fat ganado) with the axe is weaker than the Don Diego with the pitchfork (the one on the second floor), and the tall ganado with the axe near the exit is even weaker.

But yes, precisely how damage is calculated in the game in every situation is not entirely clear. Regenerators, for example, seem to require widely different amounts of firepower to die depending on what kind of weapon you use.