Few questions

#1shockwave981Posted 1/21/2013 12:02:12 PM(edited)
So i finished the main game on easy and did seperate ways. Is it true that i cant just start a new game on Normal and buy bonus weapons? (Chicago typewriter, matilda, infinite rpg etc), if so then thats going to be a pain.

Someone also told me that the unlockable costumes dont have the bonuses in the HD versions. Is this true?
---
Rawr
#2BimmyLeePosted 1/21/2013 1:53:22 PM
Yeah, bonus weapons are only available on a cleared save (NewGame+) for the difficulty you just beat the game at. This is so because bonus weapons are for cheating (nothing wrong with that, they're fun, but they make the game trivially easy, even on Pro), and the game expects you to beat it at least once without cheating before it lets you use them.

I know it sounds like a chore, but you'll just have to start a NewGame on Normal and beat it once. This will also unlock Pro difficulty.

shockwave981 posted...
Someone also told me that the unlockable costumes dont have the bonuses in the HD versions. Is this true?

- Special costume #1: Leon's RPD uniform is just for show and doesn't provide any advantage.
It only acted as the tactical vest on the NTSC Gamecube version, and only on Normal difficulty.
- Special costume #2 (not available on Gamecube): works just as it did on the PS2 and Wii: Ashley is in a 100% invulnerable knight armor.
#3shockwave981(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 2:46:02 PM
Costume 2 on the original versions gave you a 60% damage resistance or something. Is that the same for the HD versions?
---
Rawr
#4BimmyLeePosted 1/21/2013 3:45:08 PM(edited)
Ah, you're right. I actually didn't know about the 60% protection with the gangster outfit, but it seems that this was only present on the PS2 version, and it's not present on the Wii or the HD versions.

From http://residentevil.wikia.com/Unlockable_costumes_in_Resident_Evil_4:
The gangster outfit reduces enemy damage by 60% and when combined with the Tactical Vest reduces 90% damage from enemies rendering Leon virtually unharmed.

Again the protection bonus is not present in the Wii and HD re-release versions.
#5heartlessangelPosted 2/8/2013 8:21:56 PM
BimmyLee posted...
Ah, you're right. I actually didn't know about the 60% protection with the gangster outfit, but it seems that this was only present on the PS2 version, and it's not present on the Wii or the HD versions.

From http://residentevil.wikia.com/Unlockable_costumes_in_Resident_Evil_4:
The gangster outfit reduces enemy damage by 60% and when combined with the Tactical Vest reduces 90% damage from enemies rendering Leon virtually unharmed.

Again the protection bonus is not present in the Wii and HD re-release versions.

Who wrote that absolute nonsense on the wiki?
#6BimmyLeePosted 2/8/2013 10:04:17 PM
heartlessangel posted...

Yeah, looks like it's nonsense indeed. I just tested it on the PAL PS2 and neither special-1 nor special-2 offer any damage-protection whatsoever, be it on Pro, Normal, or Easy difficulty.
Can someone confirm that it is the same in the NTSC PS2?

Shouldn't have pasted that wrong info there without having tested it myself.
#7JoveHackPosted 2/10/2013 3:14:43 PM
BimmyLee posted...
heartlessangel posted...

Yeah, looks like it's nonsense indeed. I just tested it on the PAL PS2 and neither special-1 nor special-2 offer any damage-protection whatsoever, be it on Pro, Normal, or Easy difficulty.
Can someone confirm that it is the same in the NTSC PS2?

I've never noticed any difference in Leon's damage taken, whatever the costume, on Pro. Normal I'm not sure I'd have noticed, and it's been a long, long time since I played on Normal.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#8BimmyLeePosted 2/10/2013 3:56:16 PM(edited)
JoveHack posted...
I've never noticed any difference in Leon's damage taken, whatever the costume, on Pro. Normal I'm not sure I'd have noticed, and it's been a long, long time since I played on Normal.

Yeah, this 60% thing is almost certainly bull ****, but if there is the slightest chance of there being any difference, it will be on Normal and not on Pro, I think.

Can you test it when you get a chance? Just start a new-game on Normal and let the first ganado hit you. In the PAL, it took the ganado 4 hits to put Leon in the brink of death, whatever the costume.

**Edit: Just be aware that on Normal, the adaptive difficulty will reduce the damage Leon takes after he's been hit 5 times in a row, and it will reduce it even further after he's been hit 10 times in a row.
#9JoveHackPosted 2/10/2013 8:51:51 PM
BimmyLee posted...
Yeah, this 60% thing is almost certainly bull ****, but if there is the slightest chance of there being any difference, it will be on Normal and not on Pro, I think.

Can you test it when you get a chance? Just start a new-game on Normal and let the first ganado hit you. In the PAL, it took the ganado 4 hits to put Leon in the brink of death, whatever the costume.

**Edit: Just be aware that on Normal, the adaptive difficulty will reduce the damage Leon takes after he's been hit 5 times in a row, and it will reduce it even further after he's been hit 10 times in a row.

Normal mode wearing Special 1 - the RPD uniform: One hit from the first Ganado causes 1.8 bars of damage (out of 5).

Normal Mode wearing Special 2 - the Gangster outfit: The same.

Played on ahead for a bit after the second test. My continual improvements in video quality (component cables, 480p, new HDTV, calibration, and turning on Game Mode) had me notice another new detail. The woman in the cabin, stuck to the wall with a pitchfork, there's noticeable blood on the outside wall where the pitchfork tines should be sticking through the wall.

Also, the blood from Leon's decapitation by Dr. Salvadore was very red, and a large pool. It had always just looked a dark, almost black, red before. 480p helps show the colors.

Died to Dr. Salvadore 3x before deciding to just resume my Leon Pro game on the 3rd run through. Got to the pure QTE fight with Krauser and switched to the 8x Separate Ways runthrough. Really got to admire the scenery.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#10BimmyLeePosted 2/10/2013 9:46:25 PM
Thanks for the testing there. Actually though, sorry to be a pest, but could you test it with the Normal outfit as well? Just to make sure that neither of the two special costumes offer any damage protection.

So, 1.8 bars damage per hit on Normal, huh? In the PAL, the first ganado only does 1.25 bars damage per hit on Normal. (He does 2.5 bars damage on Pro.)

Don't think I've noticed the blood on the outside wall that you mention, but the blood from the Dr's decapitations is always red enough on my standard definition TV, heh. I don't have component cables so I've never tried to connect my PS2 to an HD TV. My friend did though, and not sure if it is due to his cheap LED TV, but PS2 games look awful in it, even doing the "hold T+X" progressive scan trick.