Are you THAT guy? Or is everyone else just crazy? Group talk, gamefaqs!

#1SixStringSamuaiPosted 3/29/2012 6:03:31 PM
I know I haven't been the most supportive person when it comes to this game. I know I haven't given it a lot of praise, but I also know I've been fair with this game and haven't said anything that didn't have merit to it, so please bear with me on this.

No flaming, lets just have a group discussion.

When a bad game comes out, like say Rogue Warrior (just to name an example), and a strong majority of people know it's bad. They either play it, read negative reviews or were put off by friends. Either way, they know it's not good.

But there's always that group of people, no matter how bad the game is, that defends the game and will swear to God that the reviewers weren't paid off, or that most gamers suck now and that we don't appreciate "old school" gaming and blah blah blah, something about COD sucks. Can't spell ignorant with IGN. You know, the usual.

Are those people for this game, THAT guy, or is the majority of people who are like me, just crazy?

Now to clarify, I don't hate this game. I WANT this game to get patched and be better. I WANT to really enjoy my experience with this game. I DON'T want this game to simply just die out miserably under the radar in a bargain bin of some store next to a copy of Fracture.

I admit this game has some fun elements, but from a technical and fundamental stand point there are so many weird bugs and bad design and gameplay choices, I just don't understand how anyone can defend this title.

I'm not saying you can't like it, I'm just saying I'm having a hard time figuring out why there are people out there that find this game to be an 8 or higher. Hell even a 7 is way high for this game. Do most people just not have high standards for games anymore? Do all you look for in shooters is a shoot and reload button? There has to be a bigger demand in quality and execution than that.

Look, I'am a huge RE mark. And I cannot justify giving this game a score higher than a 5 out of 10. Maybe I can give it a 6 if they fix all the bugs and improve the AI and hit detection, but everything else is so generic and dull, I just can't score it higher.

Help me out gamefaqs. Lets have a legit conversation about the merits of this game. And why (if you're THAT guy) you feel this game deserves an 8 or higher.

And try and compare it with games that you hated and gave a low score to. Just so I can try and understand how your scale works.
---
I'm working on this screenplay for a movie, it's called Schindler's List 2: Let's get this party started.
#2NavexPosted 3/29/2012 6:16:18 PM
I don't think this game is excellent or anything but it does not deserve the hate it's getting. A majority of the attackers are citing it's just not a true RE and unworthy of getting any support. Hello morons, this was never meant to be the next epic RE game in the franchise, something the devs had pointed out multiple times when they said this was a spinoff game that would depart from the usual RE formula. It's just ignorant fanboys and it's getting annoying.

The game has issues, there is no denying that. Still, it's a damn fun third person shooter and it being a TPS WITH RE that's a win in my book.
---
"You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too."
- Conan O'Brien
#3VaporFoxPosted 3/29/2012 6:19:12 PM
I think a lot of people are just happy to finally play an RE game where you don't control like an organic tank turret. I'll confess the main reason I bought this was to see how an RE game might play with a more "modern" shooter control setup. RE4 was a big step in the right direction, but despite how much I loved it, I still found myself saying "damn, it STILL feels clunky though."

I think this is at least a nice warm-up for how RE6 is going to control. I'll agree that ORC was pretty average or sub-standard in a lot of areas, but somehow I've still managed to have fun with it. It's just frustrating when I sit there and think how much better this COULD HAVE BEEN if Capcom acted like it gave a damn about the project at all. Giving the game to a relatively unknown and unproven developer was a move that had me scratching my head from day one. But, the more I read about it in Game Informer while it was in development, the more excited I got, because they made it genuinely LOOK like it would be awesome.

Like I said...it's just frustrating, because I saw butt-loads of potential for ORC as I played it. It's rough around the edges and downright fails on some levels (like teammate AI), but it still had enough put together to keep me playing it longer than I thought I would after the first day.

Honestly, this makes me wonder if RE6 is going to have any multiplayer along the lines of this, or if they're just going to regurgitate the mercenaries/versus mode again like they did in 4 and 5.
---
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
Xbox Live Gamertag: Valorik
#4OrbochPosted 3/29/2012 6:22:24 PM
I personally give it a 7 out of 10. I've enjoyed my single player experience, and most of my online matches.

Have I been lucky in NOT experiencing crazy game-bending glitches? Maybe; a lot of initial complaints never even registered on my radar. Someone said it takes them a full 2-3 seconds to stop to pick up an item. I don't know what they smoke, I can pick up items on the fly ALMOST without stopping.

I've had it freeze my xbox once. I'm not reaching for my pitchfork over that.

Playing online, I've had invisible zombies or players rake me across the coals about... 5 times out of 45 games played. It frustrating perhaps, because you feel like it's not fair, but it's really no worse than ANY shooter where you're experiencing lag in a match.

Maybe I have enjoyed it more because I play it more like Gears than I do Halo (I see countless idiots running into the line of fire online, both versus and campaign. I open a door, there's 10 zombies inside. They bolt right in WHILE I'M SHOOTING, get shot in the back of the head, and then rage on me for not being careful T_T)

It's not perfect, and there are games I've enjoyed much more than this. But that doesn't mean this game is better off used as a drink coaster.
#5VaporFoxPosted 3/29/2012 6:32:09 PM(edited)
Orboch posted...
Have I been lucky in NOT experiencing crazy game-bending glitches?

In my entire time playing this I've only witnessed 2 things that could qualify as glitches. The first time I played the campaign, in the VERY FIRST opening cutscene where the team introduces itself to Hunk, Lupo's entire head was oddly flashing a bright reddish pink color ... but it went away after the opening cutscene and never happened again.

Other than that, I've gotten "stuck" on a level before because an AI teammate decided to inexplicably hang back or got stuck on the geometry of the level, and it wouldn't let me advance past the checkpoint since "my entire surviving team wasn't present." No matter what I did, my teammate wouldn't move, and for some reason when this happened, I couldn't kill them either to "fix" it. It's happened...mmm...twice so far. -_-
---
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
Xbox Live Gamertag: Valorik
#6SixStringSamuai(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 6:34:18 PM
@Orboch

I'm not sure how you're scale works with other games, but I'll give you an example and in sight on how my scale works for reviews.

Syndicate. A really good mediocre game. Oxymoron, right? You see, Syndicate is a 6 out of 10 for me. On a technical stand point, it does everything ok, and a couple things good. But it doesn't do anything great, and it doesn't do anything new, it's generic and plays like a game that knew it wasn't going to reach scores higher than a 8 out of 10.

I mean with Syndicate, that is like one of the best mediocre games ever. The shooting works fine, a lot better than ORC. The server stability is better than ORC. The graphics are better. The AI is slightly better. I mean really, if you take away the RE license, and just judge ORC on gameplay, there is nothing that ORC does, that isn't done better on Syndicate.

And that game is a 6 out of 10. I mean with Syndicate, naturally you're going to start comparing the game to Deus EX. And you're going to naturally disappointed every time. Because it's no where near that level. It's not bad, but it's not great, and at times it struggles to be good.

ORC is bad, not great and at times it can be a little good. That's a type of game that I would just have a hard time justifying a score higher than a 5.

I feel that 3 is a little harsh and 2 and 1 are just trolling, but being honest, 4 or 5 out of 10 feel fair to me. The core fundamentals of this game are hampered with wonky AI, unstable servers and questionable design choices. For a full priced $60 dollar game at this day and age when games like Mass Effect and Uncharted or whatever other AAA game you can think of is put in the market charing the same price as ORC, ORC just falls short.

If this were priced as a budget title, like $40 or something, maybe I'd be more easy on my review, but as a full priced game, I'am expecting the same type of polish that I would expect from other full priced games. Especially coming from a company as big as Capcom.
---
I'm working on this screenplay for a movie, it's called Schindler's List 2: Let's get this party started.
#7SixStringSamuai(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 6:47:03 PM
@Navex

From what I've seen, the people that didn't understand that this game was a spin off, are a minority of the people who are hating on this game. They might stick out more because of how incredibly stupid their logic is, but they are definitely a minority compared to the people that hate this game because of it's AI or glitches.
---
#8SixStringSamuai(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 6:49:16 PM
@VaporFox

When this game was first announced, I thought... RE5 with 4 player co-op and the ability to move and shoot at the same time. SWEET. There's no way they can mess this up lol.
---
#9woahiluvdisPosted 3/29/2012 6:52:52 PM
i would never defend this game and say it was perfect because it obviously isnt.

im fiending for patches too, but at the moment the level of fun i get out of this game is probably a 10.

the game itself as a whole product is definately not a 10, it needs a patch or patches, but provides crazy fun and lulz at how stupid things can be in it.

people can defend this game because people find different things fun/enjoyable.
#10mudelledgePosted 3/29/2012 7:54:03 PM
I knew what I was buying at full price....I haven't regretted it since. And the length...well atleast the are trying to expand it with dlc rapidly. That will probably come with a patch....ii think its a good spinoff but still has room for improvements. I'm glad the player base is growing even after the reviews. So with that of the dlc and and slowly growing gamer populace....it'll be around for awhile. I still would like a traditional Re after this tho.
---
I don't like anything in the mainstream and they don't like me.~ Bill Hicks
More topics from this board...
Looking for playersscream13514/14 2:26PM