Street Pass seems to be virtually useless in the US

#31JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2012 9:45:38 AM(edited)
Picked up 3 in the Charlotte airport yesterday. Those were my first airport tags since Christmas (I figured they'd get more frequent after Christmas, but that hasn't seemed to be the case for me).

3DS' have been sold to 1.4% of the US population, so you would think that in an airport with thousands of people ranging from kids to adults of all ages from various walks of life that about 1.4% of them would have 3DS'. (that's 14 per 1000). That's obviously not the case. I saw plenty of kids playing games on iPods though. :-(
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
#32AndrewTheEpicPosted 4/3/2012 4:36:07 PM
I've only got 1 tag but thats REGGIE!!!! :(
---
TROLOLOL
#33imagineer100Posted 4/3/2012 6:12:51 PM
At my high school I usually get one or two a day, but I'm guaranteed at least a puzzle piece and a Level 7 hero twice a day because my sister has a 3DS.
I've only taken my 3DS to the mall twice but I got two pink pieces. It was amazing.
---
Disney~Nintendo~Apple
#34ZarxraxPosted 4/4/2012 1:18:22 PM
I haven't found many in the US either. 2 trips through both Charlotte and Chicago airports got me none, but I picked up over 200 during a 2 week trip in Japan. I actually could have easily gotten over 100 a day, but I had more pressing things to do than just play streetpass all day :p
#35aRobloxianPosted 4/4/2012 3:24:33 PM
I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago, and in the airport I got 10 StreetPasses on an hour-long flight. You just have to be in the right places.
---
whats a skyrim and how do i become one
#36JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2012 6:21:45 PM
aRobloxian posted...
I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago, and in the airport I got 10 StreetPasses on an hour-long flight. You just have to be in the right places.

Been through that place more times than I care to remember. I average maybe 1 every few trips through the busiest airport in the country. :-(
---
#37KitoroPosted 4/4/2012 7:52:50 PM(edited)
Speak for yourself, OP. My Mii plaza has over 800 unique Miis that I've gotten from StreetPass.

Be social and go to gaming events and StreetPass gatherings (find your city on Facebook.

Or, go to a place that people actually go to in order to have fun (aka not an airport) such as Disneyland. I live an hour from Disneyland, and I got a few times a month, and get between 50-90 StreetPasses a day there. :)

I should also add I've got every Puzzle Swap piece and almost every hat in Find Mii 1 & 2.

The US is a great place for StreetPass if you frequent fun places and events!
#38JetPilot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2012 9:21:50 PM
If you had read all of the posts here you would see that I'm not the only person having trouble with Street Pass outside of Japan.

My city has no Street Pass groups on Facebook. Already checked.

Most people don't live within an hour of Disneyland or Disney World. As I said earlier, we are taking the kids to Disney World next month so we'll take the 3DS's with us and see how we do.

I frequently pass through many airports because my job requires it. I see lots of iPhones, iPods and DS's at airports...very few 3DS's.

As an adult with a family and a job I can't just pick up and go to social events when I please (nor do I want to...I'm past that phase of my life). Street Pass was designed to be used throughout the normal course of the day. That's exactly how it works in Japan. It doesn't work very well as it was designed outside of Japan.
---
#39katysuPosted 4/5/2012 2:36:09 AM(edited)
JetPilot: I frequently pass through many airports because my job requires it. I see lots of iPhones, iPods and DS's at airports...very few 3DS's

This is what I'm finding everywhere - on the underground, mainline trains & generally walking around - (I'm in the UK). Here, if people are doing anything its mainly on their phones.
But you don't know what they might also have in their pockets/bags.

I've found my best bets are the underground/tube, employees/demo units of game stores and busy shopping streets/malls.

Arranged meetups are great, if there are any within reasonable reach, or maybe try and start one up?
With neighbours/friends/your childrens friends & their parents.
Doesn't have to be a meeting for 3ds/SP, tack it onto meetings for other things.

The time element I mentioned earlier: I generally carry around 2 consoles, most of the time both pick up, but sometimes only one does - I think this is because I am passing the other unit quickly and there is not enough time for the data to be exchanged with more than one unit. I'm guessing, but have seen it reported by others.

Yesterday I went to my local shops taking 3 consoles with me (just for the coins), not expecting streetpasses with other units (I never have locally up to now, its semi rural)

- and I got one - but only with one of the consoles I was carrying.
(they were all together, had streetpassed one another OK)
I'd guess although I was on foot my stranger streetpass may have been in a car.

My advice is to keep carrying, especially if you will be part of the time on foot in a town/city. (supermarket/mall).
I've managed fairly well with just normal outings to shops & my local city.
Though of course I'd take advantage, as you are, of bigger outings like Disney.

Edit: As you I'm not getting many, but still think its worth the trying.
#40Chykka_BlackPosted 4/5/2012 4:03:27 AM
Disneyland if you're in California or Florida or any theme park really. 2 days in a row at Disneyland and about 20 street passes a day
---
Pokemon White FC: 4427-3698-5253 Izzi
3DS FC 4081-5675-7223