Monster Manor Puzzle Boxes - Where are they?

#1BrodiusPosted 7/28/2013 3:55:25 PM
I haven't seen a puzzle box yet, and I've read that you only get them from streetpasses. Do you have to streetpass someone else who plays the game to get one?

And if there are 50 in total, according to the Japanese wiki, does that mean you're supposed to do one per floor and therefore I have missed the first 3? I'm on floor 4.
---
"Oh no!" He screamed. "Please not again! Have pity! Have mercy!"
3DS FC: 1118-0590-0987
#2norshanarePosted 7/28/2013 5:15:24 PM
They are random. I'm gotten 2 so far and i'm on floor 9
#3IronTuskPosted 7/28/2013 5:43:18 PM
You need to make large shapes of a single color. They're much more likely to appear the larger your single color area.
---
https://twitter.com/arthurvonnagel
#4Brodius(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 5:54:57 PM
IronTusk posted...
You need to make large shapes of a single color. They're much more likely to appear the larger your single color area.

I've been doing exactly that, and getting gold chests. Okay, guess I'll keep doing that then.
---
"Oh no!" He screamed. "Please not again! Have pity! Have mercy!"
3DS FC: 1118-0590-0987
#5mantezPosted 7/29/2013 1:09:58 AM
I've done 37 of them so far. I believe you need to streetpass more than one person at a time, when ever I got one it was from one of the current group of Miis usually after my 3rd or 4th piece created a section of chest. It doesn't have to be a large section as I have recieved a puzzle box from a section only containing the mii and access to my storage, but it would be logical to assume the bigger section you create the more chance you'd have.

Does any one know how to team up, I have completed 31 floors and have never been given the option.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.
#6tipntopPosted 7/29/2013 3:37:18 AM
mantez posted...
I've done 37 of them so far. I believe you need to streetpass more than one person at a time, when ever I got one it was from one of the current group of Miis usually after my 3rd or 4th piece created a section of chest. It doesn't have to be a large section as I have recieved a puzzle box from a section only containing the mii and access to my storage, but it would be logical to assume the bigger section you create the more chance you'd have.

Does any one know how to team up, I have completed 31 floors and have never been given the option.

My understanding is that team-ups would have a similar trigger to puzzle boxes, except they'd to be from people that own the game.

Is the streetpassed person you meet with the puzzle box from the people you already used, or from the ones you have yet to use ?

I got 11 puzzle boxes and a bunch of team-ups at a convention early in the month, but didn't pay enough attention.

I'm pretty much on single streetpasses now, but I wonder if, combined with play coins, I could get an occasional puzzle box from that one streetpass while setting piece from a hired investigator.
---
Christmas trees are eating the pavement,
The pavement is eating old ladies
#7mantezPosted 7/29/2013 4:06:36 AM
tipntop posted...
Is the streetpassed person you meet with the puzzle box from the people you already used

The puzzle box comes from a Mii which I have already taken a piece from and they don't have to own the game to get a puzzle box.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.
#8tipntopPosted 7/29/2013 5:12:27 AM
mantez posted...
The puzzle box comes from a Mii which I have already taken a piece from and they don't have to own the game to get a puzzle box.

So with one streetpass, I could hire 9 dogs. Then I would first set the Mii piece and might have a shot at a puzzle box when making rooms with the dogs afterwards.

With all the streetpasses I got at the convention, I still mostly got small amounts of gems from Miis in rooms, far more often than puzzle boxes or team-ups.
---
Christmas trees are eating the pavement,
The pavement is eating old ladies
#9ZaghrenautPosted 7/29/2013 8:20:03 AM
I've gotten puzzle boxes from both players with the game and players without, but i think it has to be actual streetpass miis... I don't think I've gotten any from dogs/cats, but I'll have to hire more and get back to you...

As for the team ups... In order for a mii to team up with you it needs to have a weapon and therefore needs to also be playing the game... but regardless of the weapon they're holding they only seem to add 8 attack and 6 defense though (the eqivalent to a level up i figure), I made the mistake because of which to take the items they offered instead until I realized that the item always suck (concealing cape or something lame) and that i needed 10 to get the plaza ticket...
#10lankelinkPosted 7/29/2013 10:02:38 AM
Zaghrenaut posted...
I've gotten puzzle boxes from both players with the game and players without, but i think it has to be actual streetpass miis... I don't think I've gotten any from dogs/cats, but I'll have to hire more and get back to you...

As for the team ups... In order for a mii to team up with you it needs to have a weapon and therefore needs to also be playing the game... but regardless of the weapon they're holding they only seem to add 8 attack and 6 defense though (the eqivalent to a level up i figure), I made the mistake because of which to take the items they offered instead until I realized that the item always suck (concealing cape or something lame) and that i needed 10 to get the plaza ticket...

If you take the item, they can also give puzzle boxes to you, but only if they have solved at least one. You can even try to make a better time than the other mii