What's the best PSP Gundam game?

#1BubblegumHavokPosted 7/8/2011 4:10:45 PM
I was looking at a gundam game to pick up for my psp. Saw this new game looked interesting but it's sounds like this one is missing a few suits (I thought I read somwhere on this board there were 300 suits) I'm looking for either an action type or action shooter (a la Encounter in Space) but I needed some opinions. Which PSP gundam game has the most MS and the best gameplay? Any suggestions welcome
#2AlgusBlightPosted 7/8/2011 5:19:31 PM(edited)
If you want action and a lot of mobile suits to choose from, there's the Gundam Battle series.
Its latest games are Gundam Battle Universe and Gundam Assault Survive.

Both games have over 300 suits, are mainly focused on the UC timeline (from 0079 to Char's Counterattack) and allow you to customize your mobile suits.

The gameplay is basically choose a pilot (from the shows or created by you), choose a mobile suit, pick a show, choose a faction, play the mission, get money, spend money on mobile suit to improve stats, repeat until bored.

Assault Survive is the newer of the two, but I've heard about people who like Universe better.
The main differences, IIRC, are:
- Survive also has the F91, SEED and 00S1 scenarios (*);
- Universe uses a map for each mission, while Survive uses several small maps linked together;
- Universe gives you new MS as rewards for doing well, Survive just needs you to buy them;
- Survive has custom BGM, which means you can play mp3 files in your memory stick while you're playing the game.

(*) the SEED and 00S1 scenarios play differently from the normal missions: first you have to play by the plot (which means your pilots and mobile suits are fixed); only then can you unlock free access to those missions.

EDIT
If you ask me, I'll say Survive is the better of the two. It's extremely grindy, though, since you need money to both buy mobile suits (and accessories) AND customize them, and the game is pretty stingy when it comes to mission rewards.
I found it nice to play some 00 to break the routine, too.
---
Because LucaSadalfas didn't sound that good...
#3cainx10aPosted 7/9/2011 5:38:27 AM
I just ordered the following:
- GvG Next Plus
- Gundam Battle Universe (Personally, the best I played when i was "sampling" :p).
- Gundam Assault Survive (Mainly because you can play with the earlier G00 suits)
- Gundam Memories (It's the latest, so why not)
- Macross Triangle Frontier (Remember that poor Tuna in SDF? Bought the game in his memories).
#4grimmjowespadaPosted 7/9/2011 5:48:46 AM
If you want the best quality Gundam game with balanced gameplay I suggest Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus.

It has around 40 different Mobile Suits from nearly all Gundam series and each MS is unique and plays differently with lots of combos.

It does not have as many suits as the Battle series, but it has better gameplay and like I mentioned above, each suit is different and not a clone of another suit like in the Battle series (many suits share the same moveset)and also the melee attacks are useless in the Battle/Assault series.

So if you want a Gundam game with a lot of MS (even grunt units are playable) from the UC timeline and overpowered suits to dominate the battlefield I would say that you should get Assault Survive or Battle Universe, but if you want a Gundam game with unique MS from all series (mostly the main character, main villain and another one from each series) and more balanced gameplay I suggest Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus.
---
PSN: JaggerJaque
"The kid is a little more important, but just a little" - Zack Fair, Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core (optional answer to Angeal fan)
#5cainx10aPosted 7/9/2011 6:58:12 AM
Should also note that Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus is like the Final Fantasy Dissidia of the Gundamverse. It's a fighting game, but extremely well designed and polished compared to ... GvZG :p (the G4TV review still cracks me up).

Gundam Battle series are more like an action title that reflects the ground/space warfare that occurred during the UC timeline. The gameplay felt right to a tee, at least, that's my personal opinion.
#6AlgusBlightPosted 7/9/2011 9:01:55 AM

It does not have as many suits as the Battle series, but it has better gameplay and like I mentioned above, each suit is different and not a clone of another suit like in the Battle series (many suits share the same moveset)and also the melee attacks are useless in the Battle/Assault series.

I can't speak for Universe, but suits are definitely different in Survive. They either have different attack strength, different rate of fire or different melee strings. They also have (mostly) different special attacks.
Some suits also have a very unique gimmick to them which makes them stand out:
- Big Rang heals nearby allies;
- Zaku Mine Layer only has mines as weapons (its melee is punching stuff holding a mine);
- Doan's Zaku throws rocks and performs basic grapple attacks;
- Asshimar boxes...yeah.
It's not much but it's enough to set units apart when there are 300 of them.
Survive also disregards balance in favor to variety.

Should also note that Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus is like the Final Fantasy Dissidia of the Gundamverse. It's a fighting game, but extremely well designed and polished compared to ... GvZG :p (the G4TV review still cracks me up).

I wouldn't compare it to Dissidia. GvGN+ doesn't expect the player to grind levels, weapon and accessories, and its gameplay is much more frenetic than "jump five times, then do three backflips and shoot a fireball".

GvGN+ is also geared towards 2v2, and the game gives you an AI partner if you're playing by yourself.
---
Because LucaSadalfas didn't sound that good...
#7racoon88Posted 7/9/2011 9:26:53 PM
If you are looking for action type gundam games on PSP, definitely not this one [gundam memories], try Kidou senshi gundam : gundam vs gundam next plus. that's game is pure on action and the best for now for competitive versus mode to play, wether 1vs1 or 2vs2[max], but u should check first @youtube what's the game looks like... good luck.
#8youngskillzPosted 7/9/2011 10:20:19 PM
looks like ur all set tc lol.

can't go wrong with assault surive and gundam vs n+....also macross ultimeate frontier or triangle i guess.

all pretty damn good games.

i'll add another centuries episode portable for honorable mention
---
Where is this dark i came to find ? -- Dark Tranquility
#9BubblegumHavok(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2011 11:52:59 PM
Great feedback fellas, thanks.
#10avenue20Posted 7/18/2011 6:57:47 AM
AlgusBlight posted...
If you want action and a lot of mobile suits to choose from, there's the Gundam Battle series.
Its latest games are Gundam Battle Universe and Gundam Assault Survive.

Both games have over 300 suits, are mainly focused on the UC timeline (from 0079 to Char's Counterattack) and allow you to customize your mobile suits.

The gameplay is basically choose a pilot (from the shows or created by you), choose a mobile suit, pick a show, choose a faction, play the mission, get money, spend money on mobile suit to improve stats, repeat until bored.

Assault Survive is the newer of the two, but I've heard about people who like Universe better.
The main differences, IIRC, are:
- Survive also has the F91, SEED and 00S1 scenarios (*);
- Universe uses a map for each mission, while Survive uses several small maps linked together;
- Universe gives you new MS as rewards for doing well, Survive just needs you to buy them;
- Survive has custom BGM, which means you can play mp3 files in your memory stick while you're playing the game.

(*) the SEED and 00S1 scenarios play differently from the normal missions: first you have to play by the plot (which means your pilots and mobile suits are fixed); only then can you unlock free access to those missions.

EDIT
If you ask me, I'll say Survive is the better of the two. It's extremely grindy, though, since you need money to both buy mobile suits (and accessories) AND customize them, and the game is pretty stingy when it comes to mission rewards.
I found it nice to play some 00 to break the routine, too.

you're right Gundam Assault Survive better than Battle Universe

1. they fix machine gun glitch, in Battle Universe ur machine guns speed is very slow if its compared with MS, MS is faster than machine guns so in Battle Universe machine guns is very useless but im glad they fix it in Universe
2. More wingmen and Allies (in Battle Universe you only have 1 allied and no grunt but in GAS have 2 wingmen and some grunts as allies)