How evil is the DRM?

#1ZerethPosted 11/25/2011 5:07:48 AM
Hello all.

I have been avoiding games from Ubi Soft due to the DRM demanding a permanent Internet connection. I have read that Anno 2070 only needs a connection at initialization, so I might be interested.

However, I already had problems with such DRM (Bioshock for instance). Is anyone here having troubles with it?

Thanks in advance.
---
Zereth
#2lemonrumblerPosted 11/25/2011 5:43:25 AM
The DRM is a little cooky for this, in the sense yes you don't need an internet connection after activating, but on the flip side if you play offline you miss out on a bunch of stuff that is only available if you play online/with a connection.

This includes voting for world leaders with other players, which influences production. As well as voting for senate members which does something similar, theirs news briefs about world events and other things that are updated.

Its actually very cool, it feels like the game is still alive and not just shipped as is. I have a feeling like I'll be playing this more often then I expected because of all the new content added weekly and placing votes, ect.

Other things offered online are world event missions (right now pirates have the bomb) and daily/weekly? missions.

So yes you can play it offline, but you miss out on a lot of content that's being added weekly not only by the developers but the community as well.

I suppose some will argue that they should these updated world events without it being online but...thats like playing multiplayer without any other players...and its not like your paying extra for the daily missions and world events.

So I guess let me put it this way, if you don't have a stable internet connection you can play it, but if you do it add a deep extra layer of live beyond the campaign and random map generator.
#3Zereth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 10:18:08 AM
Thanks for the answer.

I do have a good internet connection. But I play often on my laptop, in the train.

However, I'm not so much interested in playing offline than in not having to call unhelpful technical assistance to play the game I paid for.

Did anyone have technical problems?
---
Zereth
#4guildclawsPosted 11/27/2011 11:55:51 AM
no technical problem yet, but i WISH the campaign is a lot more like Anno 1404, which is longer.

This game still has TOP NOTCH music quality.
#5WCK619Posted 11/27/2011 12:53:09 PM

I don't know what the point of the DRM was anyway. The online content can't be accessed unless you're connected to the server. It does nothing to deter pirates either since a crack is already available to play this offline.

#6TheRabidOnePosted 11/27/2011 2:12:10 PM

The multiplayer aspects like senate/council votes and world events would feel cooler if MORE PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME

I swear the english global chat has one entry every half hour.. at best...

#7Zereth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 7:46:39 AM
So the DRM is only waste of place evil, not rampaging lunatic evil? Thanks, I'll get Anno 2070 then.
---
Zereth
#8kozzy1234Posted 11/28/2011 7:15:14 PM

guildclaws posted...
no technical problem yet, but i WISH the campaign is a lot more like Anno 1404, which is longer. This game still has TOP NOTCH music quality.

campaign for Anno games has ALWAYS been a tutorial... go start a continous mode game, the real metat and potatoes of the series.

#9bladexdslPosted 11/29/2011 1:24:20 AM
the campaign is a joke in this only has 3 chapters and is incredibly boring
#10thrice00Posted 11/29/2011 5:30:48 AM
bladexdsl posted...
the campaign is a joke in this only has 3 chapters and is incredibly boring

What I thought too.