So What Exactly Is This Game Like?

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 4/30/2012 2:03:06 AM
I came across this video online & I still can't tell exactly what this game is like / about. I know it's something to do w/ strategy & managing but could anyone explain & would I like this?

I do love strategy type games. From RTS to turn based or management (Roller Coaster Tycoon).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znMGuZsJpz8&feature=plcp

Also would I be able to run it w/ current specs?
-Thank you!
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#2colin_kernPosted 4/30/2012 4:09:42 PM
It's a city-building game, more along the lines of the Caesar series than SimCity.
#3colin_kernPosted 4/30/2012 4:13:10 PM
Basically, you build houses that people move in to, and you try to get those houses upgraded to higher and higher levels by providing the needs of the citizens living there, which you do by setting up production lines to produce the food, drinks, and goods they want. You have to balance the costs of running and maintaining those production lines with the income you're getting from taxes so you don't go broke. You can also sell your surplus goods to supplement your income.
#4EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 8:06:31 PM
Hmm. I never heard of Ceaser but I am more along the lines of a intense Simcity player.
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini Tower | 500GB HDD
#5EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 4:27:50 PM
Well I just lost all interest.
Just discovered that this is one of those only internet required games to play.

..Will not be supporting such a thing.
---
#6colin_kernPosted 5/6/2012 8:14:12 PM
That's not true. I just unplugged my modem and router, and when I ran it there was an option to run in offline mode. I was even able to load a save that I had made while in online mode.

Also, this isn't like some games where the only reason you have to be online constantly is because of DRM. It actually has some pretty cool features that use the internet, even when you're just playing single player. Every few days, there is a global issue with various solutions, having different in-game effects, that you can vote on. Whatever the winning vote is, that effect is active in the games you play. There's also regular votes on the world leader, which gives various abilities that you can activate while you're playing. There's also a world event mission that changes every so often. It's a single-player mission, but whenever someone beats it, points get added to a global pot and if a goal is reached within a time limit, everyone who puts points in the pot gets rewarded.
#7sntmrdgPosted 5/22/2012 11:38:59 AM
You only need to log in with the internet once, in order to activate the game with the key.
---
Why?
#8citronvandPosted 6/19/2012 1:36:03 PM
You can play this offline but as colin_kern said, you will lose a lot of cool features. Personally I wouldn't want to play offline if I had the choice (which I do).

You do have to login online at least once to be able to play offline but once that is done there shouldn't be any problem playing the game offline. Also, if you are playing online but singleplayer and your connection break for whatever reason you can continue playing offline mode. You can also reconnect in-game if you wish, while you're playing.

There are a few more online features as well, such as achievements. Not only achievements that give you points which are useless but stuff like new avatars, colors and technologies. Not only that but if you are online you can store items in your Ark which you can save for other levels. You can also upgrade your Ark which stays upgraded. Basically it could be a upgrade that lower energy consumption from all building by 2% or lower accidents with Nuclear power by 30%.

If there is anything that should hinder you from buying the game it should be the DRM. It's the typical 3 activation limit and THAT is BS. Yes, you can contact support for more once you're out of activation and yes, you get additional activations after 30 days once you have none left. But it is a useless system that only let the legit users suffer. THAT is something you don't want to support.

Still, it's a great game. Probably one of my favorites next to The Settlers 2 and SimCity 2000. I only wish they would remove that **** DRM.
#9QuetzalmaPosted 7/3/2012 6:58:10 AM
I'm not gonna lie, at first I pirated the game and enjoyed it using the offline mode, but when there was a 30% discount at Steam for the game and all DLCs, I bought it and I don't regret it, the online features are pretty cool and the Ark Storage, along with the Ark Upgrades are pretty damn epic!
#10Yami310Posted 7/13/2012 10:30:43 AM
Quetzalma posted...
I'm not gonna lie, at first I pirated the game and enjoyed it using the offline mode, but when there was a 30% discount at Steam for the game and all DLCs, I bought it and I don't regret it, the online features are pretty cool and the Ark Storage, along with the Ark Upgrades are pretty damn epic!

Same, pirated at first to try it; however, it was too good of a game to pass up. So, I had to get the full version. As of this year, the best $40 spent (steam discount) on a game (40 hours of gameplay on ONE MAP and 97 hours in gameplay total so far while enjoying every minute and second of it). I also bought all the DLC along with it, so I've spent around $50 total on this game. I will buy the expansion pack once it's released :).

At first, the DRM was a pain to get through; however, if you can look past or overcome that obstacle, you're looking at an incredible game.
---
"Put the Koreans in charge of the war effort. They should be able to win."--> necrolord00000 (StarCraft 2 Board)