How to beat the Jambots/Gold challenges

#1Julian_CaesarPosted 10/16/2011 7:11:37 PM
I see a lot of frustration about that mode, and about the shoving in general. Here's some tips that might be helpful:

1. Pick your team carefully (Jambots)

As far as I can tell, the Jambots will mirror your team stats pretty closely. With that in mind, I VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST that you avoid any players that have an 8-10 steal rating. Anything that high will give you fits with getting the ball stolen every time you touch it (and that's on top of the shoving, which is frustrating enough all on its own).

Obviously, the best team to use is Bird/Allen because they aren't too fast, aren't too good at stealing, and are both 10 at 3-pointers. That's the team I use, but I think there are other teams that you COULD use and be successful. I just haven't tried any of them yet.

2. Move before you catch the inbounds pass

I found this one out by accident and it changed my game completely. Just hold a direction on the control stick (usually towards one of your own corners, or up/down) before you catch the pass, and your player will move before the ball is thrown. This is REALLY helpful when the computer starts molesting your players at the instant they catch the inbound pass.

3. Utilize the dribble moves, NOT the spin

Most of you have figured out that the spin move never works off the shove, for whatever reason...and I agree that it's a broken part of the game that was never intended to be that difficult. But what you may not have figured out is that if you learn to time the dribble move right (i.e. starting it just a split second before the defender closes in) you can pull off a surprisingly high percentage of successful "ankle-breaks", even on the Jambots. It's super effective for beating the computer 1v1 to go for the dunk, if you don't want to play "three point warfare." Obviously, this works best if you pick a team with high dribble stats but low steal stats. And generally speaking, the offensive advantage outweighs any disadvantage on defense.

4. Be aggressive on the inbounds defense

Learn how to go after the computer the instant they take in the pass. This is where picking slow players pays off, because the computer won't be able to jet away from you when you chase them off the inbounds.

5. Be patient

On defense, don't be afraid to hit the "steal" button over and over, if necessary. Sometimes it actually works. On offense, don't be afraid to run around holding the turbo button and waiting for your AI teammate to shove/run into your defender. If your defender is the same speed as you, you can do it for a few seconds to get your bearings/find the LB button. And if you get shoved, don't break your controller. Switch to your teammate and run back on D; 20-30% of the time you can keep them from scoring, if you play D just right. You might have to restart the match a couple times too.

And above all, do NOT get frustrated when the computer alley-oops its way out of impossible situations on offense. This is to me the most broken part of the game system (yes, even more than the shoves) and I found myself yelling at the TV a lot when this happened.

This is by far the most difficult of all these suggestions, lol.

6. Shoving sucks

Easily the second most broken part of the game system. But unlike impossible alley-oops, this is something you can do right back to the computer. Learn to double-team at the right moments (i.e. when both Jambots are close to each other, so you can jump right off your man-to-man defense to shove/steal), and accept the consequences of leaving your man open; as far as I can tell, it works out in your favor in the long run to succeed on 1 out of 5 defensive double teams even if the computer scores an alley-oop on the other 4.
---
"I don't think you can run a double-blind experiment with an omniscient being as the subject." -- kozlo100
#2Julian_Caesar(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2011 7:16:40 PM
Hope these are helpful. I want to go ahead and point out for any Gold-level dunk challenges (and even silver level, really) using the Shaq/Howard combo (as one of the FAQs suggested) seems like a great idea, and turns out to be a HORRIBLE idea...because the computer will steal the ball from them almost at will, and they're way too slow to avoid it. I guess it's possible to win with them, but I've found the dunk challenges to be FAR FAR easier with either the Clippers or the classic Hawks team of Wilkins/Webb...in other words, an athletic, fast dunker and a speeder stealer/passer. Those are the two I've used, and even the classic Pistons team of Thomas/Laimbeer if I'm feeling ambitious/nostalgic.
---
"I don't think you can run a double-blind experiment with an omniscient being as the subject." -- kozlo100
#3TheBEST305gamerPosted 10/16/2011 8:35:40 PM
Julian_Caesar posted...
Hope these are helpful. I want to go ahead and point out for any Gold-level dunk challenges (and even silver level, really) using the Shaq/Howard combo (as one of the FAQs suggested) seems like a great idea, and turns out to be a HORRIBLE idea...because the computer will steal the ball from them almost at will, and they're way too slow to avoid it. I guess it's possible to win with them, but I've found the dunk challenges to be FAR FAR easier with either the Clippers or the classic Hawks team of Wilkins/Webb...in other words, an athletic, fast dunker and a speeder stealer/passer. Those are the two I've used, and even the classic Pistons team of Thomas/Laimbeer if I'm feeling ambitious/nostalgic.

NO NO NO to the last part. I don't know how you did it, but I almost destroyed my controller while trying to beat the Shaq/Howard duo with Wade/James. I did use Wade/James against another combo and had no problem with it, but to beat Shaq/Howard.. you apparently have to pick Shaq/Howard!

Hell, even with the Shaq/Howard vs Shaq/Howard game.. I jumped off to a 22-3 lead in the 1st quarter only to lose by 1!!!!!!
#4TehUnibongerPosted 10/17/2011 12:22:28 PM
HOW TO BEAT THE JAMBOTS:

Just pick Mark Price / Roswell, cleveland cavaliers. trust me. once i started using that team, i never lost any more games against jambots, you'll annihilate them. Use Price/Roswell, both of them. you'll never lose.
#5Julian_Caesar(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2011 5:11:07 PM
Ahhh....I haven't beaten all the challenges, I wasn't aware that you have to beat a Shaq/Howard team.

But that being said...I would still use Wilkins/Webb against that combo. I've gotten pretty good at stealing the ball, even against higher level opponents...and if the computer can't get the ball down the court, it can't win.
---
#6TheBEST305gamerPosted 10/17/2011 8:04:35 PM
Julian_Caesar posted...
Ahhh....I haven't beaten all the challenges, I wasn't aware that you have to beat a Shaq/Howard team.

But that being said...I would still use Wilkins/Webb against that combo. I've gotten pretty good at stealing the ball, even against higher level opponents...and if the computer can't get the ball down the court, it can't win.

Play against the magic.. do the gold challenge.. please, get back to me with your results.

P.S. Get ready to be assautled, blocked, and dunked on repeatedly.
#7cod5000Posted 10/17/2011 8:11:29 PM
I didn't think jambots were hard. I just shove the crap out of the computer as soon as they inbound. I pretty much blow them out every game.
#8sean221983Posted 10/18/2011 1:03:56 PM
I love using the Shaq/Howard team
Dominating
---
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
#9buddaballPosted 10/18/2011 1:31:05 PM
cod5000 posted...
I didn't think jambots were hard. I just shove the crap out of the computer as soon as they inbound. I pretty much blow them out every game.

I believe the Gold challenges are harder then the Jambots because the gold have stipulations that work in the cpu favors (threes worth 2 but dunks worth 3 since the cpu for that game cant shoot 3's but are great blockers/dunkers) in Jambot games there are no stipulations all you gotta do is ball as usual...
---
Live GT: Curtald420
#10Julian_Caesar(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2011 6:23:53 PM
cod5000 posted...

I have also noticed that once you've played enough, you can figure out the few routes the jambots take to inbound and cut them off. So there is a certain amount of AI abuse involved :P
---