The length of Day Night Cycle in the Demo - 48 minutes

#1joetbdPosted 4/29/2012 6:12:28 PM
I had read a rumor that the day night cycle was 20 minutes. That seemed short, so I timed the demo.

From the time your NPCs turn off their lanterns in the morning, until they turn them back on at night; is 28 minutes. I then timed the reverse, to measure how long the night was (20 minutes). So a full day is roughly 48 minutes.

minor notes -
Dawn and Dusk seem to last about 6 minutes each, and your NPCs switch their lights on/off roughly 4 minutes into the change (not half way through). Meaning, it is much brighter in the mornings, when they turn them off; than it is at night when they turn them on.

Dusk/Dawn are fuzzy concepts, because the sun moves throughout the whole day (and may vary based on your TV brightness). But the lantern times are solid.

Day is 28 minutes, and night is 20 minutes.
#2PanopictonguyPosted 4/29/2012 6:14:33 PM
Cool thanks.
---
Castlevania Lords Of Lycans And Trolls
#3PlasmetoPosted 4/29/2012 6:14:59 PM
Interesting. Good find.
---
"there have been plenty of entries in the horror genre based around killers, cereal killers" - BhaalAvitar
#4LordOfDonkeysPosted 4/29/2012 6:15:20 PM
Seems a little short. It looked quite a bit longer in the playthrough streams, granted they did jump between characters a few times.
---
I think it's a rule for mods to have a God complex.
#5GarudinPosted 4/29/2012 6:26:31 PM
For this game wanting to make night more dangerous and punish those that wander aimlessly or that don't prepare having a day go buy in 48 minutes is way to short

I foresee a lot of times running for my life from taking on a difficult dungeon that I prepared for only to have to make an unprepared long trek back to the city through the night or nights depending on how long the journey is

Because if I remember right:

-There aren't that many real cities(not counting only major ones I mean even little towns)

-The world is pretty large

-Night is actually very dark in this game

-Fast Travel is limited

-Lots of monster seem to be as fast if not faster than you
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea
#6GraBugPosted 4/29/2012 6:27:40 PM
The only thing I have to say here is that I must congratulate them for actually having day last longer than night. I can't tell you how many games I've played (though a lot less in recent years, I must admit) with a day/night cycle equivalent to like 10 minutes of day, 10 minutes of night.

Just like with those Night/Day related perks in Fallout games which last from 6AM to 6PM/6PM to AM. The day ones should last longer and the night ones should last less long. In return, maybe make the night ones stronger...
---
Live Gamertag - GraBug
#7joetbd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 6:54:29 PM
I was hoping for the day to be twice as long as the night.
And a full one hour day/night cycle, would have been nice too.

But 48 minutes is much better than the 20 minutes I had heard.
Ten minutes of daylight would have been ridiculous.
On the other hand, I have also heard that this demo is fairly old
(sure they just recently released it publicly, but some people have said, capcom has been showing off this part of the game, for a long time.)

The final game could be different, thats why I made sure to point out I was merely measuring the demo. I have NO inside information, about the final game.
#8midnyghtsson265Posted 4/29/2012 6:57:33 PM
I'm not sure guys...but I think I remember one of the devs say it lasted longer than that. I think the demo had an accelerated clock going on...thats pretty short to be honest and on some playthroughs it lasted longer than that.
---
"Competition and Cheating can't co-exist"
#9Doug151Posted 4/29/2012 8:18:17 PM
Thats kinda short. Does make night time seem that dangerous since you can just wait it out if you really wanted. Since a whole day is 48 minutes. I can assume pitch dark wont last long. I think it should be 2 morning, 1 hour day and 1.50 hours night.
#10DrakoVongola1Posted 4/29/2012 8:20:58 PM
Doug151 posted...
Thats kinda short. Does make night time seem that dangerous since you can just wait it out if you really wanted. Since a whole day is 48 minutes. I can assume pitch dark wont last long. I think it should be 2 morning, 1 hour day and 1.50 hours night.

Would you really want to just stand in one spot for 20 minutes waiting for night to end while praying zombies don't bite your ankles off?
---
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.