German Review

#101CapnStanky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 7:25:21 AM
PrinceOfFallout posted...
CapnStanky posted...
blueboykc posted...

i dont think your definition of open world is the same as most ppl and its very misleading..every interview every preview every time the questions been asked in a live stream the answer was open wold..you should really stop saying that "linear but somewhat open world" crap..makes you sound like a liar..

A liar? LOL. Skyrim is a sandbox. Dragon's Dogma isn't. Is that really hard to comprehend?

both are sandbox simple as that

No they're not.
---
Mass Effect 3, Witcher 2 360, Darksiders 2, Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Lumines Electronic Symphony, Fez, Trials Evolution
#102Dart_Feld7Posted 5/3/2012 7:29:27 AM
CapnStanky posted...
It's because Skyrim and games like Dragon's Dogma are completely different. Skyrim without scaling enemies would suck. It's a truly open world sandbox with no limitations put on you on where you can go and when you can go there. Thus the enemies need to scale. It works well for that type of world. The way games like Amalur and DD are set up, you're meant to proceed through the world in a very specific, choreographed way, thus the enemies are set-level. And it works for those kinds of worlds. You don't have to hate one way to love another.

Uh, we have no idea where the main quest in DD takes us and how the map unfolds and many other key details.

It's a little hasty to decide that it's as restrictive as KoA(esp. when KoA has a different take on open world almost entirely).

From what we've seen, it's completely open after finishing the "Deliver the Hydra head quest" which

Also remember dem frost trolls on the path of 7000 steps and the multiple quest locked dungeons in Skyrim?

You're making some assumptions based on the scaling system and contradictions with your view on true open world sandbox. I loved Skyrim for the record.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmox6rdpiog - Dragon's Dogma
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m26tsm6yo81qfy7zpo4_250.gif
#103CapnStanky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 7:31:58 AM
Dart_Feld7 posted...
CapnStanky posted...
It's because Skyrim and games like Dragon's Dogma are completely different. Skyrim without scaling enemies would suck. It's a truly open world sandbox with no limitations put on you on where you can go and when you can go there. Thus the enemies need to scale. It works well for that type of world. The way games like Amalur and DD are set up, you're meant to proceed through the world in a very specific, choreographed way, thus the enemies are set-level. And it works for those kinds of worlds. You don't have to hate one way to love another.

Uh, we have no idea where the main quest in DD takes us and how the map unfolds and many other key details.

It's a little hasty to decide that it's as restrictive as KoA(esp. when KoA has a different take on open world almost entirely).

From what we've seen, it's completely open after finishing the "Deliver the Hydra head quest" which

Also remember dem frost trolls on the path of 7000 steps and the multiple quest locked dungeons in Skyrim?

You're making some assumptions based on the scaling system and contradictions with your view on true open world sandbox. I loved Skyrim for the record.

Not making any assumptions at all. I'm watching the Capcom videos. It's not a open-world sandbox RPG like Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion. Fact. It's not an insult. It's a different style of RPG.
---
Mass Effect 3, Witcher 2 360, Darksiders 2, Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Lumines Electronic Symphony, Fez, Trials Evolution
#104Dart_Feld7Posted 5/3/2012 7:40:57 AM
I'm not taking it as an insult, I'm just having trouble understanding. I haven't seen what you have somehow.

Wouldn't enemies like deathclaws early in FO3 disqualify it from being an open-world sandbox by your standards then?

It seems like you're using the suggestion that because it doesn't have scaling that there'll be areas effectively blocked by high level enemies as a point to call it "linear but somewhat open".

None of streams and preview vids. that I've seen have showed an area that they could not get through because of a disparity between their(admittedly high level party) and mobs.
---
#105CapnStanky(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 8:18:23 AM
Dart_Feld7 posted...
I'm not taking it as an insult, I'm just having trouble understanding. I haven't seen what you have somehow.

Wouldn't enemies like deathclaws early in FO3 disqualify it from being an open-world sandbox by your standards then?

It seems like you're using the suggestion that because it doesn't have scaling that there'll be areas effectively blocked by high level enemies as a point to call it "linear but somewhat open".

None of streams and preview vids. that I've seen have showed an area that they could not get through because of a disparity between their(admittedly high level party) and mobs.

Not at all. Fallout, and Skyrim, have mobs all over the place that are always a challenge, but there's also quests for any level in all areas of the map that scale to you. Dragon's Dogma doesnt have that. Everything is set, specific levels. They've been quite clear about that.
---
#106midnyghtsson265Posted 5/3/2012 8:23:34 AM(edited)
Open means open...if you go there and get destroyed by tougher enemies...that doesn't make it any less open ended...Open means you have a choice to go anywhere.

I certainly don't agree with you Stanky as far as what open world means. I also dislike the fact that if someone really dislikes skyrim and says bad things about it, that means there opinion is wrong according to the sales numbers. Success doesn't mean EVERYONE likes it. I also prefer non-scaling enemies becuz it feels more organic. I WANT to wander off the beaten path and get totally ambushed sometimes, but remember the area for later.

I don't get any sense that capcom or the devs want people to stay on a certain path...you are interpreting that all on your own from the non-scaling enemies. Non-scaling enemies don't have ANY effect on a game open-endness.
---
"Competition and Cheating can't co-exist"
#107Dart_Feld7Posted 5/3/2012 8:31:00 AM
CapnStanky posted...
Not at all. Fallout, and Skyrim, have mobs all over the place that are always a challenge, but there's also quests for any level in all areas of the map that scale to you. Dragon's Dogma doesnt have that. Everything is set, specific levels. They've been quite clear about that.

Enemies stop scaling before even level 50 in Skyrim, the level cap is 81.

I disagree that there is always mobs in Skyrim that will give a challenge to the player.

As far as quests scaling in Skyrim, that's a bit disingenuous. Dungeons have scaling, quests do not. You can start a quest as level 4 and come back and complete it at level 25, the level ranges are not locked until you enter the accompanying dungeon. Moreover, Skyrim can lose this sense of openness, as defined by you, if the player does alot of exploring as a low level and then decides to put quests off since dungeons lock to your level the first time you set foot in it.

Overall I just don't agree with your qualifications, I guess. I don't think that we'll change each other's minds so we might as well drop it.
---
#108blueboykcPosted 5/3/2012 9:58:27 AM
CapnStanky posted...
PrinceOfFallout posted...
CapnStanky posted...
blueboykc posted...

i dont think your definition of open world is the same as most ppl and its very misleading..every interview every preview every time the questions been asked in a live stream the answer was open wold..you should really stop saying that "linear but somewhat open world" crap..makes you sound like a liar..

A liar? LOL. Skyrim is a sandbox. Dragon's Dogma isn't. Is that really hard to comprehend?

both are sandbox simple as that

No they're not.
---

you are insane..thats all there is to that..and therefore not worth talking to..stop spreading your lies and disinformation..the developers and in every preview written by ppl that HAVE PLAYED the game say massive open world..you havent so shut it..your wrong..
#109PanopictonguyPosted 5/3/2012 10:06:12 AM
So far cap there has been nothing shown that suggest linear progression. In fact advertise it's freedom. I may not be as open as the Elder Scrolls or Fallot games which give you the option of finishing the main quest 10 mins in. but I'm sure the world will be fully open.

The story may be linear but the world appears to be wide open. But we'll have to wait another few Weeks to find out.
---
Castlevania Lords Of Lycans And Trolls
#110F_WolfPosted 5/3/2012 10:12:56 AM
Aenisha posted...
Actually just looked at that sites review for Skyrim in which they gave it a 93. And one of the positives was 'Huge Game World' but yet for this game thats a negative.. ok. Also it doesnt list 'No Multiplayer' at all as a negative. Talk about a one sided review.

There's a difference between a huge populated game world and a giant empty one.