Pawn chatter frequency - possible deal-breaker for me

#1ZauronPosted 5/3/2012 1:09:16 PM(edited)
The first thing I saw for this game was some video (from TGS I think) of a player taking down a Chimera in the prologue, and I thought from that video "well, I don't think I'd like this game, the AI talks WAY too much and repeats the same thing over and over, I just know I'd eventually want to throw my controller at the wall and scream at the TV 'YES! I know that the lion hates magic! You've said it like a dozen times SHUT UP ALREADY!!'"

However, my interest was rekindled after the amazing OXM preview video from Matt talking about the danger, the effects of night, and how the game was much more than it seemed. Excited by what I saw, I immediately searched these boards for any word on an option to make the Pawns not say stuff so often, and found some posters saying that a dev in a stream had responded to a question about it saying that you could turn down pawn chatter frequency.

Thus reassured, I started looking more into the game and my hype continued to grow until its practically all I can think about. I even obsessively played the demo over and over and made some videos of skill runs ( http://youtu.be/Cb4TN-UFg_c and http://youtu.be/65LBrfCdQ6Y ).

But...I saw in a preview video (the extended play video from videogamer) that they went into the options menu and there was no option to turn down the chatter frequency. I then noticed there was none in the demo either, which had the exact same options menu and included every other option the devs had mentioned before (like turning off the subtitles for the pawns).

And finally, we now have reviews which so far have not mentioned such an option, but have mentioned how annoying the constant pawn comments are (see the Game Informer review thread, he mentions it in the Sound section).

So now I feel I'm either going to have to solo this game and miss a lot of its point and appeal, forget it altogether, or try to play it "normally "anyway and just grit my teeth through the pawns being so annoying with constantly telling me the same thing they already told me over and over and over with barely a breath between their comments and overlapping each other's comments.

Is anyone else conflicted about this? Am I the only one that finds this thing super annoying and is worried about it ruining the enjoyment of the game? What do you think the chances are that the devs really did add some option to turn it down (like perhaps when you talk to your pawn to tell them what you want from them) and the reviewers have just never found it?
---
www.zauron.net / www.crazyvikingstudios.com
#2LeonKennedy28Posted 5/3/2012 12:55:58 PM
There is an option, the devs said it themselves you didnt look hard enough.
---
F4in
.:The Fatal Four:.
#3GrowshroomPosted 5/3/2012 12:57:01 PM
Pawn dialogue frequency is a mechanic you change in-game. In every place where you can rest for the night (towns, camps, outposts) there are tables where you can sit down and have a conversation with your Main Pawn You can ask them to change elements of their behavior, such as their aggressiveness (chase after enemies/avoid battle), their item scrounging (leave it all to you/scrounge even during battle), and talkativeness (speak a lot/totally mute).

Keep in mind that this only works for your Main Pawn. Pawns you hire will have behaviors preset based on game defaults or how their players have made them. Thankfully, there are tons and tons of pawns to choose from.
---
+50 HP
Shoot the mask to hear more
#4meralonnePosted 5/3/2012 12:57:52 PM
Personally, I'm usually to busy worrying about the creature trying to eat my face to be worried about what Pawns are saying. I tend to tune them out entirely.
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#5Zauron(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 1:00:34 PM(edited)
LeonKennedy28 posted...
There is an option, the devs said it themselves you didnt look hard enough.

And all devs always tell the truth and keep all their promises? HA!

Seriously though, since it can't be found in the preview build or the demo and apparantly so far none of the reviewers have found it, I'd say the chances of the option actually being there, despite the devs saying this (and no one has yet been able to actually point me to the time slot in a stream where a dev actually said this), is about 1 in 10 at this point.
---
#6Zauron(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 1:00:04 PM
Growshroom posted...
Pawn dialogue frequency is a mechanic you change in-game. In every place where you can rest for the night (towns, camps, outposts) there are tables where you can sit down and have a conversation with your Main Pawn You can ask them to change elements of their behavior, such as their aggressiveness (chase after enemies/avoid battle), their item scrounging (leave it all to you/scrounge even during battle), and talkativeness (speak a lot/totally mute).

Keep in mind that this only works for your Main Pawn. Pawns you hire will have behaviors preset based on game defaults or how their players have made them. Thankfully, there are tons and tons of pawns to choose from.

Your response seems reasonable and well-informed, have you actually played the game then? Where did you get this info??
---
#7PhadinPosted 5/3/2012 1:01:47 PM
Zauron posted...
Growshroom posted...

Your response seems reasonable and well-informed, have you actually played the game then? Where did you get this info??

More then just reasonable, I think this sounds interesting. You can control your own Pawns personality, but you can't control the personality of hired pawns. If you hire a chatterbox, your stuck with a chatterbox. Thats interesting... somewhat analogous to real life. You can't always enjoy the personality of everyone you work with.
#8PeetaaBlahPosted 5/3/2012 1:03:14 PM
There is this little gem

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/03/08/dragons_dogma_-_pawns_learn_organically_as_you_play

And bunch of video streams that mentioned it.
#9GrowshroomPosted 5/3/2012 1:06:36 PM(edited)
From reading and watching myriad media for this game for the last month or so. It's all blended together, but I recall one written preview in particular detailing an encounter with a pack of wolves in the Witchwood area of the game. The author made a point of mentioning that one of his Pawns never talked.
---
+50 HP
Shoot the mask to hear more
#10Zauron(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 1:08:35 PM
PeetaaBlah posted...
There is this little gem

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/03/08/dragons_dogma_-_pawns_learn_organically_as_you_play

And bunch of video streams that mentioned it.

I read that blog before, so I knew about the system for customizing your pawn's behavior, but it doesn't mention any option for how often they say stuff. It mentions an option for telling them to change what word choices they use when they DO say stuff, but not an option to tell them to just say stuff less frequently. I figured this system was the only chance for the feature I want, since the options menu does not appear to have it, but have not seen confirmation before that it was actually there.

I've watched a couple streams but not all of them (wanted to say some surprises for the game), do you know of any specific streams where this option was mentioned? I'd just like to verify how the question and answer were actually phrased, because so far I've never personally seen a direct dev statement saying "yes, you can make your pawn say things less frequently".
---