I never really understood why people enjoy creating characters from other games.

#1CarpeCapricornPosted 5/5/2012 3:56:21 AM
I tried it once... but it ruined my suspension of disbelief.
It was really hard for me to get into the plot of the game I was playing when i was trying to roleplay a character from something else and there were constant continuity errors that pulled me out of the experience.

Wouldn't people rather create their own unique characters and experience an original story involving them? Every time I click on a post about creating characters, I get excited to see what people have come up with and then when i start reading, all I see are pages full of characters from other games and i get disappointed.

oh well.
---
---
Beings that are born of dreams must return to them...
#2LythirisPosted 5/5/2012 3:58:48 AM
i would probably find it a little distracting, but not enough to bother me
---
"I figured maybe a bullet in the back. Or a knife in the back. Maybe hit by a train."
"In the back?" "In the back, yeah."
#3ZacTBPosted 5/5/2012 5:35:19 AM
Yeah it bothers me too. In Saint's Row 2 I went through the whole thing in co-op and my friend made his character as Johnny Gat, that irritated me (though I didn't say anything).
---
"Please remember, Science rhymes with compliance. Do you know what doesn't rhyme with compliance? Neurotoxin" - Portal 2
#4TheKokopelliPosted 5/5/2012 5:47:29 AM

Probably goes back to the old skool days when people would edit texture maps to put characters in games.  I usually do a basic character design.  However, when messing around with the facial editors for Saints Row 1, I unintentially ended up with something that resembled a pastly white Snoop Dogg with a very long nose.  For the Third, the protag resembled the Twins from the Matrix series.

While I won't do more than the basics, eye and hair colors, etc, I applaud the people that do.  It takes a sharp eye and attention to detail.

#5DrakoVongola1Posted 5/5/2012 5:51:02 AM
I usually just do it to see if I can, most of the time I play as something original.
---
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#6Dart_Feld7Posted 5/5/2012 5:51:29 AM
I guess it depends on how much you are transferring and your driving goal(s).

With me it varies, sometimes I imagine that I'm bringing their entire backstory along with everything else.

Most times I just bring over their likeness and core perspnality traits. When I do that seldom do I run into continuity issues. I don't really put much emphasis on that character conforming to that world's lore though. It'such more about that character being in a new setting and reacting to it.

Anyways, I'm making original characters for this game. I will be looking for established characters tbf. I already got my eyes peeled for L.o.D pawns.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmox6rdpiog - Dragon's Dogma
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m26tsm6yo81qfy7zpo4_250.gif
#7TheRedDashPosted 5/5/2012 7:38:59 AM

I am the opposite kinda. I love making characters from other games that are not all cliche. It gives you a nice reference point to start from.

The one thing I don't understand is how some players play as girls as their main character. To me that is very.....odd haha

#8Golem345Posted 5/5/2012 7:53:05 AM
TheRedDash posted...
I am the opposite kinda. I love making characters from other games that are not all cliche. It gives you a nice reference point to start from.The one thing I don't understand is how some players play as girls as their main character. To me that is very.....odd haha

Dude, activate your flame shield, like right now.
---
What? You want to know what? Rage you pathetic child. RAAAAAAGE!
XBoxLive Tag: Steampunk Ruin
#9TheRedDashPosted 5/5/2012 8:57:44 AM

Opinions dot com!

I don't need no shield. But seriously idk I just like playing a man cause I am a man. I myself find it silly that guys play as girls as their type of character for every game that has the option. I understand if you played as a guy first then decided to try a girl but playing as a girl first every game that has the choice? Is odd to me. 

But I quote the hodgetwins "at the end of the day..you can do what ever the F*** you wanna do)

#10Epic_McDudePosted 5/5/2012 9:10:59 AM(edited)
I usually create myself in games with Character Creators/Editors. I like being the hero or villain of the game. I also have other creations of my own as well, of course.

I am one of those people in the minority who doesn't like creating characters from other games, as much as I may love them.

Edit: Or from movies, books, comics, anime and what-have-you. I don't do those either.
---
"Being required to learn Java for a Comp Sci MAJOR is like being required to crap on a lawnmower to be an astronaut." -jleemero (Kodewerx)