Catch the Thief (How!?)

#1Mr Penguin 007Posted 5/22/2012 4:57:42 AM
I get right next to him and try pressing grab, I try slashing with daggers, I try shooting with my bow... How do I get this dang thief? Ensnare maybe?
---
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas
#2F_WolfPosted 5/22/2012 4:59:26 AM
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
I get right next to him and try pressing grab, I try slashing with daggers, I try shooting with my bow... How do I get this dang thief? Ensnare maybe?

You have to sneak up on him while he is not running away, like when he is entering a door or the like.
#3Mr Penguin 007(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 5:00:38 AM
Got him! If anyone has trouble, attack him 'til he's stunned and then run up and grab him.
---
#4Mr Penguin 007(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2012 5:02:10 AM
F_Wolf posted...
Mr Penguin 007 posted...

You have to sneak up on him while he is not running away, like when he is entering a door or the like.

Haha, oh. Well, I just stood on a rooftop until I saw him run past. Then I pounced on him shooting a barrage of arrows at him until I was right on top of him. I'm loving the Strider.
---
#5psttitiPosted 5/22/2012 9:30:18 AM
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
F_Wolf posted...
Mr Penguin 007 posted...

Haha, oh. Well, I just stood on a rooftop until I saw him run past. Then I pounced on him shooting a barrage of arrows at him until I was right on top of him. I'm loving the Strider.

Strider too, but when I shoot him, he just little off balance a bit but keep running further until out of my sign.
Any other tip?
#6Fragnarok(VIP)Posted 5/22/2012 10:07:58 AM
The road up the hill splits in two directions but loops together at the top. When he ran off to the left, I went right and grabbed him when he turned a corner.
---
Xbox Live: Flagnalok
GameSpot: Yarvem
#7SkeletonJackPosted 5/23/2012 10:48:40 AM
I got MASSIVELY lucky. The idiot ran right past me, and when he was opening a door, I grabbed him. I was basically an unhelpful doorman.
---
You keep waiting for the dust to settle... Then it hits you... This is it, the dust is your life going on.
Xbox Live GT: ZeroThreshold
#8Mu_NovaPosted 5/23/2012 10:50:53 AM
...I managed to grab him as he turned around to run past me... It feels hard to predict just when he'll do that, but I got lucky. lol
#9TheghostlivesPosted 5/23/2012 10:57:32 AM(edited)
Mr Penguin 007 posted...

I guess mages CAN'T do this quest?
i've tried 2 dozen times. Since I can only greab by standing still, and he is always moving, I can't do anything. My magic missle spell doesn't lock onto him and none of my other spells do either.

EDIT: the answer is to stand REALLY still in the road and wait for him to bolt past. after a couple dozen tries, you may win.
#10macstarvoPosted 5/24/2012 1:28:12 PM
My mage finally did it and if I would have done it this way from the beginning I wouldn't have gotten so stressed.

Here is how I did it:

Open the door to the Inn and wait for the thief to see you so he starts running.
Chase him until you see him run up the hill on the left path heading toward the church.
Stop at the fork by the shops and cast Fire or Lightning boon. Then take the right path behind the grocer shop toward the steps by the well so you can meet him coming down.
Stand at the foot of the steps and ready Frazil but don't cast it yet. As soon as you see him let Frazil go and when he runs into you he will be stopped suddenly by Frazil, then wack him with your staff. Only took one hit for me. Then when he's down, grab him.

GL