UNreadable disc

#21PisonPosted 5/22/2012 6:48:30 PM
I have an old Elite myself, and had a problem with the 'rattling disc' thing when trying to install to my hard drive. At first I thought it was eating my disc or something equally silly; after multiple attempts at a solution, it always had the same problem. Found out though, that if you go ahead and leave it in about a minute or two, it'll start reading the disc and downloading. Figured this out when I realized the rattling was making the same patterns every time I re-tried to download from the disc, and hoped for the best.

Gave me a hell of a scare, though.
#22astaroth1234Posted 5/22/2012 6:49:28 PM
Might be the disk. Try uninstalling games to see if that helps. Mine was doing this with Max Payne 3 but once i uninstalled some other games i had previously installed the system reads the game with no problems(Knock on WOOD!) and i hope it stays that way.
---
I got reset, however they didnt reset my deaths, so at this point in time i have 148 kills and 6169 deaths, which gives me an epic k/d of 0.02! - Phil
#23WinturwulfPosted 5/22/2012 6:50:45 PM
I have the Halo 3 Xbox and I got it to install. It took a little bit to initialize it (didn't get to 0% until after a couple of minutes), but it did work.
#24GazardrielPosted 5/22/2012 6:53:35 PM
I have a pre-jasper chip Elite 360, and had zero problems. It also RRoD on me once, but I repaired it if that matters.

Exchange the disc TC and others... If it persists, call Microsoft. If all else fails, swap the disc drive out.
#25RiddickSCPosted 5/22/2012 6:55:04 PM
astaroth1234 posted...
Might be the disk. Try uninstalling games to see if that helps. Mine was doing this with Max Payne 3 but once i uninstalled some other games i had previously installed the system reads the game with no problems(Knock on WOOD!) and i hope it stays that way.

Well see were (me, kevin and OP) not even able to install the game to the hdd. i just tried playing the game without installing and it gave me the same message as i got when installing the game "cant read this disc, it might be scratched etc".

Also when playing before I got the message I got some crazy graphics issues going on, i cant even explain what i saw other than it looked like my main character was merging into the cave wall (not him directly but there was big polygons coming out of the wall in colors of red black and static).
#26RiddickSCPosted 5/22/2012 7:02:43 PM
Gazardriel posted...
I have a pre-jasper chip Elite 360, and had zero problems. It also RRoD on me once, but I repaired it if that matters.

Exchange the disc TC and others... If it persists, call Microsoft. If all else fails, swap the disc drive out.

Ive never had to exchange a disc before, will gamestop just swap it for another disc free of charge or what?
#27GazardrielPosted 5/22/2012 7:06:09 PM
RiddickSC posted...
Gazardriel posted...

Ive never had to exchange a disc before, will gamestop just swap it for another disc free of charge or what?

Return Policy:

Opened new merchandise may be exchanged for identical item within 30 days of purchase.

You're good to go if you have the reciept, if you ordered it off the internet print out your order and go to a store.
#28RiddickSCPosted 5/22/2012 7:08:45 PM
Gazardriel posted...
RiddickSC posted...
Gazardriel posted...

Return Policy:

Opened new merchandise may be exchanged for identical item within 30 days of purchase.

You're good to go if you have the reciept, if you ordered it off the internet print out your order and go to a store.

Thanks you! :)
#29skool h8erPosted 5/22/2012 7:39:52 PM
When i put the game in to install, it took about 5 minutes before the first 0% installing came on the screen. All those 5 minutes, it was going full blast and sounded like it was being scratched. But it finally started installing after that 5 minutes. I played through the prologue and hopefully it plays the full game. I got it from amazon so i'm thinking of getting a return and exchange.
---
[~N~]
#30joetbdPosted 5/22/2012 7:49:46 PM
pandoraorb posted...
it took forever for the saving choices to come up when i installed and it made the rattly noises like xbox was eating the disc.

finally i was able to install to HDD and it did okay. haven't had a chance to play yet, though.

same