The Frontier Caverns an Proving Grounds

#1BarakahPosted 5/26/2012 1:15:55 PM
Sorry if this topic has been created already, I did search but found nothing, but does anyone know what you're supposed to do in this area? I found the cavern ages ago but only just explored it, and I found the proving grounds inside.

It's basically a big underground arena, and when I found it there was an armoured Cyclops and a bunch of Goblins inside. Other than the entrance gate, which was open allowing me in, there's a small locked portcullis on the east side of the arena with a treasure chest behind it. And then at the north side directly opposite the entrance gate there's another portcullis, a massive one, which is also sealed shut. And when examined it says "Enemies... They're close.", but there's nothing here.

What am I missing here? Is there a lever somewhere? Is this part of the main story I haven't reached yet? If anyone knows I'd appreciate the info.
#2AthenovPosted 5/26/2012 1:16:51 PM
Bump
#3Barakah(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2012 1:21:03 PM
Lol thanks Athenov.

Quick update, I had the game unpaused whilst I was browsing the forum and another Cyclops and group of Goblins spawned. Note that this is a good half an hour after having killed them previously, so that may just be the normal spawning cycle. I'm not sure how that works, but I figured it was worth a mention.
#4PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 5/26/2012 1:24:40 PM
Theres a quest to kill that cyclops.

As for the door, I assume it's story related
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#5iLXeNkPosted 5/26/2012 1:30:47 PM
How did you make it into the Frontier Caverns?
I went in there from the Shadow Fort and it lead me to a massive portcullis that wouldn't open but if there is another way in I'd love to know.
---
XBL GT: iLXeNk
Waiting for - The Last Guardian
#6NolaxPosted 5/28/2012 1:30:14 AM
Bumpo!
#7GuileHawkPosted 5/28/2012 1:33:34 AM
You get a quest to kill a cyclops there. And when you reach the second part of the story there is another quest where someone challenges you to a duel there.
#8AtomSmasher99Posted 5/28/2012 1:37:50 AM
Ah, I remember when I asked this too.
Fear not though, you'll actually get your question answered.

Both portcullis are in fact utilized in a post game quest in which you are tasked with slaying a hydra.
The small one unlocks upon killing the beast, as a reward.

The real question is how do you access the gate atop the Shadowfort that bars entry to the opposite side, I'm doubting you can but it would be interesting nonetheless.

Then there's also the matter of the mysterious Quarry key...
#9SheriffJawlessPosted 5/28/2012 2:04:41 AM
AtomSmasher99 posted...
Then there's also the matter of the mysterious Quarry key...

It opens the locked door in the quarry. The one in the miners rest area with the gold bags to the tunnel area with undead. You can go around, that place has plenty of alternate paths.
#10AtomSmasher99Posted 5/28/2012 2:05:49 AM
^ I guess I never noticed I unlocked that door with that particular key, silly me.