Dragon's Dogma Helpful Info

#31GuileHawk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:01:47 PMmessage detail
Zauron posted...
I think Fighter pawns should have Cymbal Onslaught. It is one of the best skills in the game for the Fighter, and pawns make excellent use of it. Let me count the ways in which this skill is amazingly awesome:

1) One of the lowest stamina-consuming skills in the game. Almost always available for use.

2) If hit with all 5 hits with a decent shield, does as much damage as any other skill including Downcrack, and only beaten by Legion's Bite/Dragon's Maw (assuming have a shield that's on par with your sword). This means its damage/stamina ratio is leagues better than any other skill a Fighter has, since the other big damage skills require more stamina per use.

3) Uses blunt damage, meaning a Fighter has effective blunt and slashing damage available at all times. This skill absolutely destroys skeletons. Even better than being able to use a mace as a Mystic Knight because don't need to switch weapons. Shield Storm does pathetic damage and is more for the stun effect (and comes out very slowly) so can't compare to this for dealing blunt damage.

4) Since it is a rapid 5 hits, can abort it at any time, so is much safer to use than other skills that have long animations (doesn't leave you as vulnerable during use). You can also change targets while using it to hit multiple targets with one move, and only the first hit takes stamina.

5) First hit comes out very very quickly, so can use it in between enemy attacks.

6) Almost guaranteed to stagger/knockback any enemy that isn't a boss monster, at least after the first couple hits. I think that staggering "stacks" as you hit an enemy and since this hits so fast the stagger stacks quickly.

7) Pawns LOVE this skill and will use it very effectively in their AI. They will employ it more often and with much more accuracy than many other skills like Antler Toss or Hindsight Slash.

There's a reason this skill was picked by the devs to be Fighter-only (the class-specific skills are generally better than the generic ones)...

Personally I would much rather have a Pawn with Cymbal Onslaught than with Divine Defense. They tend to over-use Divine Defense and drain their stamina, and it doesn't have the benefits of a perfect block (deflecting attack back at attacker) which pawns are VERY good at doing since they have perfect timing. So I would personally recommend Cymbal Onslaught, Shield Drum (of course), and either Shield Storm or Launchboard for a Fighter pawn's shield skills.

I'd add it to the list if I could, but since this got stickied it hasn't let me edit anything. I wish it would though cause I left quite a few grammatical errors. Also the skills I mentioned are just recommended skills, and I mentioned that it was good to try out as many skills as possible and test different combinations so I'd say I did alright.
#32ZauronPosted 6/1/2012 6:12:26 PMmessage detail
GuileHawk posted...

I'd add it to the list if I could, but since this got stickied it hasn't let me edit anything. I wish it would though cause I left quite a few grammatical errors. Also the skills I mentioned are just recommended skills, and I mentioned that it was good to try out as many skills as possible and test different combinations so I'd say I did alright.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think your post is great! It does suck you can't edit it.

I didn't mean to sound combatitive if I did, I just wanted to state an alternate opinion about keeping to only defensive skills on the shield for Fighters, but its all just opinion. I was actually thinking of making a separate thread about Cymbal Onslaught and how great I thought it was when I was reading this thread and guess I just decided to post the reasons here instead.
---
www.zauron.net
www.crazyvikingstudios.com
#33ZauronPosted 6/1/2012 6:39:28 PMmessage detail
GuileHawk posted...

1) Keep in mind when creating your character that his or her build has an effect on their natural stats. For example taller, bulkier characters will have a good natural strength and defense while smaller, shorter characters will have a good natural magick and magick defense stat.

Sorry to be a pest again, but it isn't just opinion for this one - this statement is actually incorrect.

Strength, Defense, Magick, and Magick Defense are not affected by size, they are only affected by initial vocation and what vocation you are each time you level up, as shown here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62840355

Your weight and height have other effects, including:

- Lighter characters regenerate stamina faster
- Lighter characters use less stamina when climbing on a large creature
- Heavier characters use less stamina for skills when NOT climbing on a large creature (despite the strategy guide's claims to the contrary)
- Heavier characters can carry significantly more weight before they are slowed down (encumbered)
- Heavier characters weigh down monsters more when they grab them (i.e. bring flying monsters to ground)
- Heavier characters have more resistance to knockback/stagger
- Heavier characters are more resistant to wind (though you can also carry a lot of stuff to increase wind resistance)
- Taller characters can wade through deeper water without their lantern going out
- Taller characters move faster due to longer stride (except when sprinting, all characters travel at the same speed when sprinting, though it feels faster when shorter since they have to move their legs faster to keep up...)
- Very small characters can fit through spaces others can't, such as holes meant for goblins
- Smaller characters are less likely to get hit (make a smaller target) but have less reach on melee attacks.

Details:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62922952
---
www.zauron.net
www.crazyvikingstudios.com
#34ZauronPosted 6/1/2012 6:47:35 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#35Topdog75Posted 6/1/2012 6:48:35 PMmessage detail
plokis246 posted...
SPOILERS

While in the everfall WHERE IS THERE A PLACE TO REST AND PUT YOUR LOOT?

Edit: I found out you have to ferrystone out of there. Then you can jump back in after.

You don't have to use a ferrystone, when you're falling land on the very first platform and there is a staircase that leads back to the surface.
---
"Marcus needs to go home and put on the rest of his damn beard." -SmokingGhost on Gears of War
#36GuileHawk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 7:12:12 PMmessage detail
Sorry to be a pest again, but it isn't just opinion for this one - this statement is actually incorrect.

Strength, Defense, Magick, and Magick Defense are not affected by size, they are only affected by initial vocation and what vocation you are each time you level up, as shown here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62840355

Your weight and height have other effects, including:

- Lighter characters regenerate stamina faster
- Lighter characters use less stamina when climbing on a large creature
- Heavier characters use less stamina for skills when NOT climbing on a large creature (despite the strategy guide's claims to the contrary)
- Heavier characters can carry significantly more weight before they are slowed down (encumbered)
- Heavier characters weigh down monsters more when they grab them (i.e. bring flying monsters to ground)
- Heavier characters have more resistance to knockback/stagger
- Heavier characters are more resistant to wind (though you can also carry a lot of stuff to increase wind resistance)
- Taller characters can wade through deeper water without their lantern going out
- Taller characters move faster due to longer stride (except when sprinting, all characters travel at the same speed when sprinting, though it feels faster when shorter since they have to move their legs faster to keep up...)
- Very small characters can fit through spaces others can't, such as holes meant for goblins
- Smaller characters are less likely to get hit (make a smaller target) but have less reach on melee attacks.

Details:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62922952

Man I really wish I could edit the post now. I guess I was a little misinformed, this is good info thanks.
#37TigerStealthPosted 6/2/2012 1:09:07 PMmessage detail
great post thank you!
#38TakuruPosted 6/3/2012 8:23:00 PMmessage detail
It hurts that my topic (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62938572) didn't get stickied when it is massive compared to this topic.

But whatever, I'm happy the mods actually put something up instead of ignoring large help topics like they do with every new release.
---
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/april6e/1336115779405.gif http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/april6e/Untitdffled.jpg
#39Andrew2108Posted 6/3/2012 10:11:31 PMmessage detail
useful tips for me..
#40devildogsPosted 6/4/2012 8:13:38 AMmessage detail
Great stuff. I appreciate all the information you've put in here.
---
I will not be denied my rightful place in the nightmares of men.
GT - Titus Crow USMC