So everything is supposed to smash my face in right?

#1PhantasmplusPosted 6/8/2012 8:26:01 PM
So I start off a Mage cuz I like magic. Turn to Sorcerer as soon as I hit Gran Soren, do a few quests here and there. Get back out from the Everwhatever, accept the Seeking Salvation quest and off I go. Now, my friend is pretty experienced at the game but didn't tell me much. Just handed me a sweet Archistaff, cloak and a circlet and off I went. Now I have the High versions of the 3 main spells and Miasma as well as Necromancy and the boons. But it seems every time I get into a fight with lets say bandits. I hit them with fire and the archers die easy enough and then I get blindsided by some Fighter who wtfpwns me in one shot from full health. He would literally take like 400 High Ingles and not die, nigh immovable health bar just like the Ogres I encounter. Now I can understand an Ogre slapping me across a room for instant death but why am I doing so little to everything?

I figured as a Sorcerer I'd be smashing everything with fire and lightning before it could touch me but apparently 3 fireballs to the face is like standing in front of a microwave to everyone I fight. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
---
I'll just have to get a full apology from you later.
RARITYCATCHME.
#2MancombSeepgoodPosted 6/8/2012 8:29:54 PM
Most bandit groups are really, really tough at lower levels. Best to avoid them until you've leveled a fair bit.
#3Silver_SolPosted 6/8/2012 8:31:16 PM
Sorcerer has pretty bad defense to begin with. You might want to get the Bastion augment from Warrior to help. It adds +50 defense. As for the bandit Fighters, don't worry about them. They're very tough for people just starting up.
---
"All hail the Aldmeri Dominion! All hail the Thalmor!"
Xbox LIVE GT: TotallyRadYo - Dragon's Dogma pawn: Hjalti/Deneb
#4Phantasmplus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 8:32:32 PM
I'm 17 if that's a fair bit, I doubt it. I don't know what the level cap is, I can mostly kill a few archer bandits, mages, cyclops, skeletons, the undead, bats and spiders. That's about it. Oh and the lizard people, they ignite like dry kindling.
---
RARITYCATCHME.
#5TaladasharPosted 6/8/2012 8:32:34 PM
Those bandits *and you'll find other monsters as well like this* have insane defenses when standing up. There should be a few spells that cause knock down and the melee classes have se drape.

Basically, knock em down and own face.
---
( \ ( \"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain, It's time to roll the dice ."
(=^:^) So sayeth the cute bunny
#6Phantasmplus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2012 7:35:35 AM
My friend gave me a Helical Archstaff +2 and some cloak that increases my stamina as well as a special circlet that I never read what it did. The staff boosted my magick by around 300 when I put it on, I just figured I'd be facestomping the first little bit of the game. Guess I have to actually think about what I'm doing like in Dark Souls. Interesting. I like it.
---
RARITYCATCHME.
#7simonbelmont2Posted 6/9/2012 7:39:04 AM
As other have said the bandits are master killers early in the game. Get the warrior aug that boosts defense. Things will improve as you level up.
---
Adversity introduces a man to himself.
#8RuneweaverPosted 6/9/2012 7:39:44 AM
keep raising sorcerer till you get the Maelstrom spell,once you get use to casting it at long range it wins most fights before they begin,can half kill a drake in one spell.
#9Phantasmplus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2012 7:43:11 AM
One last question, do the spells and abilities I get for my Sorcerer vocation increase with the vocations rank or my characters level? 9 ranks doesn't seem like a whole lot of opportunity for new spells unless you get like 3 or 4 each rank up.

And thanks for all the help guys :)
---
RARITYCATCHME.
#10OddmanUGPosted 6/9/2012 7:54:28 AM
phantasmplus posted...
I'm 17 if that's a fair bit, I doubt it. I don't know what the level cap is, I can mostly kill a few archer bandits, mages, cyclops, skeletons, the undead, bats and spiders. That's about it. Oh and the lizard people, they ignite like dry kindling.

LVL 17/200 don't worry, you'll get a lot stronger. But yes, if you want to kill everything with Magic, max vocation, you will get all sorts of augments to help. Also stop by warrior for bastion augment at least. Hire a fighter pawn with combative inclinations like scather, mitigator, utilitarian. Or you could hire a warrior with Guardian to stick on your butt everywhere you go, while you cast spells.