Difficulty vs Dark Souls

#21foodeater4Posted 6/12/2012 2:44:13 PM
Dark Souls is a great RPG, it is hard, but most of the difficulty comes from the boss fights.

Once you get past the initial learning curve, learn the controls well and everything, most of the normal fights easy peasy. But in new game+ the regular fights will mess you up if you dont pay attention since you take a lot more damage. But basically fighting the regular bad guys through out the game is pretty simple once your used to the game. But there are bigger bad guys like mini bosses scattered through out the world, early in the game, I found myself getting PWND by these types of bad guys, but even toward the end of the game I really had nothing to fear from these guys. And it was funny upon starting a fresh playthrough (not new game +) I was able to rock these mini boss guys so easily despite my crappy gear and just brand new character.

The boss fights are very challenging. If you like to tear down a huge bad guy and learn their patterns and stuff, you will enjoy the boss fights and thats where most of the dying and difficulty comes from IMO.

Dark Souls is really about player skills, once your good at the game, you can beat the game as a level 1 character cause if you know how to dodge, and parry and attack well you can defeat anything

DD, its hard at first, but just through levels you get so over powered. Leving is dark souls will not overpower you as much as DD.
#22Giltia_zeroPosted 6/12/2012 2:46:50 PM
That's because levelling in Dark Souls is gimped beyond a certain threshold. There's a point you just stop getting any stronger because of caps.

Also, New Game+ ramps up the difficulty. Hard.
#23BackzlashPosted 6/12/2012 3:00:03 PM
Basically Dark souls rewards you if you are good at playing it, gaining levels and putting them into more hitpoints or damage or whatnot is to make the game more forgiving when you mess up. One thing I learned about playing Dark Souls is you cant mash buttons and hope to win. I probably died like 20 times my first 2 hours playing Dark Souls and I barely went anywhere.

Dark Souls is actually a great game but it pretty much has 0 story too it, and it's actually quite short, experienced players who have played it for 500 hours can probably beat it in less than two hours. What makes them game so long is that you die so much as it seems like a big and long game.

Don't get me wrong, Dark Souls has optional side quests and covenants to join that makes the game longer, but the main quest can be done really quickly.

One of the hardest fights for me wasn't the first one but actually the taurus demon since the room was so small and he had 2 undead dogs attacking me at the same time and it was still early enough in the game so you didn't have many levels.
#24treebotPosted 6/12/2012 6:45:13 PM
I feel like no real darksouls player has answered here, they are all noob responses.

If you play darksouls with no guidance/wiki/friend help, yes, its incredibly hard and confusing as many elements are left unexplained.

Once you know the game, or have beaten it once or twice, its very easy to beat, at any level, with any character, thats why I find it interesting, you CAN beat it at lvl 0, there is no enemy you "cant" hurt, you just hurt them very little.

also someone previously stated there are some tough boss fights only, whereas after beating the game 7 times and playing exclusive pvp for 500 hours or so, I can say its actually the normal enemies that get the best of you, not the bosses. And ng+ only gets actually hard at ng++++ which I didnt do, ng+ is eassssy.

The drake sword is an extremely low lvl garbage sword, its good for like 2 hours of gameplay. otherwise its completely useless.

NOW : dragons dogma is completely different, COMPLETELY. so I cant say its harder or easier, its a different game and also awesome. skyrim was easy because it could be broken with enchantments, so you couldnt lose. So far in my experience I havent found dogma breakable nor darksouls (darksouls has odd glitches, like the bottomless box transfer glitch or the copy glitch, but these do not break the game at all)

both games seem to explain very little (pure jrpg awesomeness), both have very convoluted stories that involve digging to really make sense of, darksouls is actually insane once you know the story, but dont expect the game to tell you it lol.

both games seem awesome, so far dogma is much more fun to me for the pve, whereas darksouls pvp is incredible and uncomparable to pretty much all other games (yes it has flaws but you need to embrace them to understand) real duelling is soooooo fun

I have yet to see gamers hit dogma hours into 999+ hours on one character, so darksouls should be worth the buy...
#25eugene1222Posted 6/12/2012 6:50:12 PM
People still think dark souls is hard? lol

First time through it can be punishing due to not knowing much about the game. Once you learn the combat system, its a very easy game.

Dragons dogma can be hard in similar ways, as in being punishing, but being perfectly fine, actually easy once you learn how to play it. Just like dark souls.
---
'You know what they call a quarter pounder in France? Royale with cheese' 'And what do they call a whopper?' 'I Dunno, I didnt go into burger king'
#26BrakkisPosted 6/12/2012 6:57:00 PM
eugene1222 posted...
People still think dark souls is hard? lol

First time through it can be punishing due to not knowing much about the game. Once you learn the combat system, its a very easy game.

Dragons dogma can be hard in similar ways, as in being punishing, but being perfectly fine, actually easy once you learn how to play it. Just like dark souls.

Demon and Dark Souls are often considered to be among the toughest games ever. (Lists that often exclude NES games that made you break TV's and Controllers...like Contra). They're brutal and unforgiving to even the slightest mistakes, and lacking any form of a checkpoint aside from defeating Bosses only made it even more unforgiving and time consuming.

Anyone who says they're easy is just trying to flex his e-peen and get a confidence boost.
#27eugene1222Posted 6/12/2012 7:10:55 PM
Brakkis posted...

Demon and Dark Souls are often considered to be among the toughest games ever. (Lists that often exclude NES games that made you break TV's and Controllers...like Contra). They're brutal and unforgiving to even the slightest mistakes, and lacking any form of a checkpoint aside from defeating Bosses only made it even more unforgiving and time consuming.

Anyone who says they're easy is just trying to flex his e-peen and get a confidence boost.

No dark souls doesnt punish you for every single mistake you make. It punishes you for being dumb. If you think you made "just a slight mistake" and you got punished for it, then it definitely wasnt a slight mistake.

Then again, small mistake is different for everyone, IMO having a shield not on your back for PvE (or not used strictly for parrying), and being over 25% equip weight (50% with dwgr) are big mistakes, while for others they might not even seem like mistakes.

Once you learn how to actually play the game, and know a bit about the mechanics, the PvE part is a joke, and you will be asking yourself "how the hell did I ever have trouble with these guys? LOL"

First time through, I admit, it can be punishing and at certain parts of the game unfair to gamers who arent too good, and ESPECIALLY unfair to stubborn players who cant give up bad habits, at parts even unfair to good gamers (Im looking at you bed of chaos).

Once you have been through it once though, you have no real excuse to have trouble with anything really.
---
'You know what they call a quarter pounder in France? Royale with cheese' 'And what do they call a whopper?' 'I Dunno, I didnt go into burger king'
#28AE_Posted 6/12/2012 7:38:59 PM
Brakkis:

haha, sorry you didn't beat dark souls.

never said it was easy, but its not as hard as people make it up to be:

As the other user posted,once you learn to walk slowly with your shield up, and only strike on openings,then learn to parry / backstab, and are leveled enough, you will have absolutely no problem vs any enemy, except bosses or minibosses. In those you just need to learn to roll when they attack so that with the invincible frames you don't get hit. Oversimplifying alot quite a deep combat system but yeah.

yeah, your bound to die a bit, especially if you go to an area that youre not levelled enough to go, but thats pretty much the game. take another path and move on.

evne the boss Backzlash mentioned. (its the Capra Demon). Probably died like 20 times to him until i got the timing to instantly roll and kill the damn dogs haha.

Checkpoints? you are never too far from a bonfire, true, you don't know where the next one is, but its pretty much the point of the game. as soon as the world becomes a bit too vast, it throws you in a quicktravel, not to mention the whole game world is really well designed with loads of shortcuts.

it will be hard if you try to run into a bunch of enemies mashing X like you can do in dragons dogma. (zombie horde on 1st floor of cathedral, got me when i was rockin +5 black knight armor and didn't give a crap and tried to power through them)
#29AshuxxPosted 6/12/2012 7:45:56 PM
Dark Souls is a few things...

- Beautiful
- Breath-taking
- Controller Smashing
- Rage Quitting
- Soul Destroying
- Life Consuming
- Unforgiving
- Amazing

Piece of fun, it was definitely GOTY for me when it was released, i only ever did one playthough of it though but i re-bought it and plan to 1000G it very soon. it is a breath-takingly visual game especially for an RPG, storyline isn't amazing but it's not rushed either, it has meaning, but you'll most likely lose track after dying so many times. If you liked Dragons Dogma but found it a bit too easy for your liking after... level 20-30 or so, then you should try Dark Souls or even Demon Souls for the PS3.

Dragons Dogma is awesome, i'm on my 5th Playthrough i believe, however it isn't as hard as Dark Souls, but it is extremely fun, infact i see it in a way an easier alternative to the eye-crushing game. I've not got bored of DD yet, it's been a bit grindy with the whole Ur-Dragon and such but luckily i've got near enough all i need as i have the Abyssinal Outfit + the rest of the set Dragonforged and pretty over-all decent gear, decent stats and so forth, heck i recently hit 1000G on it today and i still play it!
---
GT: iFirework
#30eugene1222Posted 6/12/2012 7:49:03 PM
AE_ posted...
stuff

Wow

Someone who clearly is terrible at dark souls judging by the content of his post, yet still thinks its not "ZOMG SO HARD"

I guess I am right after all and it isnt a hard game if you have half a brain.
---