Convice me to buy this game over The Witcher 2

#11gamer6879403333Posted 6/21/2012 11:02:48 AM(edited)
Easily. I actually bought W2 after my second playthrough of this game. I made sure I wasn't at all hyped, and was just expecting a decent game to pass the time. You know what happened? I played for a single day, and switched back to DD. I played that for a single day, and forced myself to switch back. That lasted a single day again, and switched to DD and played for 3 days straight and finished my third playthrough. I took W2 back 2 days ago because I couldn't even get myself to play it again.

So I preferred this game after playing it twice in a row to do a third run through it, while the brand new game couldn't hold my interest. Honestly, I regret buying it. I'm very glad I got a full refund. The story, the thing that was apparently the best thing about it, somehow managed to feel worse then DD's simplistic story. I have no idea how the heck that's possible. The combat was terrible, and games like Ocarina of Time on the N64 had better combat that W2 did, and that game is over 15 years old.

I honestly, truly mean it when I say, you will regret getting W2 over DD. It's a promise.
---
They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour-One of the dumbest sentences ever.
#12Tobias_Is_QueenPosted 6/21/2012 11:00:04 AM
Both games are pretty awesome in their own ways... I wouldn't say it's as black and white as Ghizz puts it - combat in The Witcher 2 is badass, but it is really different from Dragon's Dogma. I would say that Dragon's Dogma is fairly typical Action game, while The Witcher fairly typical RPG... although both games have strong RPG and Action elements.

As you might suspect, The Witcher has a much stronger story and an actual conversation system - so if you're interested in those, I'd go for The Witcher. Dragon's Dogma has way more of those vistas, and although it's not on Red Dead Redemption's level of "see something on the horizon and you can actually go there," it's still got some amazing views and gives me that same feeling of size that I get when playing RDR. Also, DD's got a really great "epic" combat feeling - whether you're climbing up a giant monster so you can stab it in the face, or summoning a meteor shower (and then watching it send the mobs flying), there's always something to make me smile and say "awesome!"
---
I farted on a little girl in a crowded elevator in a Children's hospital before - Snake_Puppy
#13coydog_30Posted 6/21/2012 11:05:42 AM
To be fair, the combat in Witcher 2 is not to bad itself. It will punish most if not all players that rely on just button-mashing to get through games, but i generally found it if nothing else different and intriguing
---
"When life gives you lemons, go murder a clown"~Festus Krex
PSN: coydog_30 GT: TyingDarkDragon
#14EEKman71Posted 6/21/2012 11:20:32 AM
Both DD and The Witcher are terrible time sucking wastes of brainpower. Buy neither and instead go outside and read a book.
#15coydog_30Posted 6/21/2012 11:27:17 AM
As opposed to you staying inside and typing a post that serves no real purpose in this topic. I can easily read my share of books during my breaks and lunches at work so if i go outside i'd rather do something a little more............constructive. Technically, you can get as much knowledge from certain games as you can from many books.
---
"When life gives you lemons, go murder a clown"~Festus Krex
PSN: coydog_30 GT: TyingDarkDragon
#16littlecletusPosted 6/21/2012 11:56:03 AM
I bought The Witcher 2 instead of Dragon's Dogma.
Witcher 2 annoyed the hell out of me.
I took it back and traded it in for Dragon's Dogma.
I am loving Dragon's Dogma.
---
GT = PapaJupe13
#17SigmavirusXPosted 6/21/2012 11:58:04 AM
Play the freaking demo
#18TopdrunkeePosted 6/21/2012 1:42:03 PM
Witcher 2 has Dark Souls combat gone wrong but you'll may enjoy it for the story. Which is pretty good actually. Not as good as everyone says it is but at least it's not typical "I think I'm so witty!" Bioware snark.

Dogma has hack n slash combat but it's a bit deeper than most hack n slashes due to its Devil May Cry roots.

While I used to disagree with the Dark Souls fans, it's true that the DS games have a much longer life span than Dogma.
Dogma's typical (Jrpg) lack of endgame enemy level balance kills it.
Dogma actually seemed like a decent Souls clone when it starts out.
Dogma kicks the **** out of W2 but of course I'd say that. It's the Dogma board.
I prefer character builds & strategizing over story & immersion.
Story & Immersion is where most Wrpgs went wrong. They forgot the game part.

Both DD and The Witcher are terrible time sucking wastes of brainpower. Buy neither and instead go outside and read a book.

Wut book? Harry Potter, Twilight? Hah hah, you need to be a bit more specific. Witcher actually are a series of novels. Not very good ones but hey there you go.
Anyway who plays Dogma for story? (Even though it surprisingly does have a deep story. Although it's somewhat of a rip off of golden age Berserk.)
Dogma is like Diablo, I play to kill **** and collect loot. Well it's more like a real time Might & Magic 3 but I'm trying to use recent examples.

As opposed to you staying inside and typing a post that serves no real purpose in this topic.
Hey now. Let him be, he's just an idiot who reads books.
Obviously, all books are as refined & well written as a King James book, lol.
Oh wait, most books aren't to that level at all. They're just throw away disposable entertainment like every single entertainment medium.
Not unless he's referring to historical books & encyclopedias.
---
t(-_-t) \(*o*)/ http://www.youtube.com/user/BoozeAholic http://www.paradisehotel51.com/
#19CrazyMammothPosted 6/21/2012 1:52:07 PM
Witcher 2 has the best bare none Mid-evil RPG story i have ever played
also chapter 2 has 2 versions so its like a whole different game on a replay run

Dragons Dogma is a hack and slash adventure with a few cut scenes
has an armor system like Morrowind
and the entire game is based around its multiplayer concept
it is basically an offline MMO where the main stars of the show (You your pawn and 2 other random people) are created by the community, adds a different feel to the story every time

i'd say buy both if you can Witcher 2 should be played but you might get more game from Dragons Dogma
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: CrazyMammoth1
#20USMC_0311_MOS(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2012 3:56:33 PM
Bump. Now for a question: Which game has more assasination/contract killing sidequests? GOGOGO