Assassin build for the Ur Dragon

#1PrinceCharmlessPosted 7/30/2012 2:20:39 AM
I'm just about to start a new game and was wondering if anyone knew a good leveling path or had any tips/answers to some questions I have about it.

First is a higher strength or magic more important in terms of damage?

Swords or daggers, why?

Best set of skills for fighting him?

Recommended level?

Thanks.
---
XBL: WombStomp
#2WinturwulfPosted 7/30/2012 5:06:30 AM
If you're building a character specifically for Ur, the trick is to maximize your damage output. Since you're building an Assassin, you'll want to focus on strength.

The Dragon's Dogma wiki recommends this build for Assassins:

Primary Weapon: Daggers
Secondary Weapon: Bow or Shield
Dagger Skills: Invisibility, Hundred Kisses, Gale Harness
Bow Skills: Any
Items: 10+ Liquid Vims, 10 Conqueror's Periapts, 10 Demon's Periapts, 1 Maker's Finger, some Staminal Drenches.
Recommended Weapons: Heaven's Key, Fey Whisper
Recommended Equipment: Dragonroar, Chainmail Bracers, Golden Belt, Assailant's Bracers, Gleaming Bangles, Holy Cuisses, Baleful Nails.
Recommended Augments: Bloodlust, Autonomy, Exhilaration, Equanimity, Clout, Acuity

Alternatively, you can take an Ascalon in and equip Dire Gouge to do more damage at the cost of being less safe from invisibility. Also, blast arrows are said to do wonders against Ur, so maybe carrying some of those may be helpful.
#3Phractal65Posted 7/30/2012 5:42:20 AM
Fighter lvls 1-10
Assassin lvls 11-200
---
-------
GT: iluminatae
#4NyalliPosted 7/30/2012 5:53:32 AM
Phractal65 posted...
Fighter lvls 1-10
Assassin lvls 11-200

If you want to fight the Ur-Dragon before level 200, you'll need some augments from other classes (Warrior and Sorc, mostly, for the +20% str/mag augs and the +50% while critical str/mag augs). You don't want to actually level as either class if you're going for full min-maxing, so keep a close eye on your exp, and before you level, switch vocation back to Assassin.

Or, wait until you're level 200 to switch to get the augments so you don't have to worry about leveling as the wrong vocation. In that case though, you're waiting until level 200 to fight the Ur-Dragon at all.

Of course, I find this far less fun than just doing whatever you feel like. ;) But, it does give an edge against the online ur-dragon once you hit level 200.
---
GT: Nyalli
Pawn: Leora
#5Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 7/30/2012 6:21:56 AM
The Dragon's Dogma wiki recommends this build for Assassins:

I find myself doing more damage with my new tactic, wish I had gone pure str.

Fighter lvls 1-10
Assassin lvls 11-200

^
Get yourself a Fey Whisper DF'ed, 13 Liquid Vims, 8 Conqueror's Periapts, and the Godsbane. Make sure you have Sinew, Vehemence, Clout, Bloodlust, Autonomy, and Exhilaration. As an assassin, equip daggers w/ Gale Harness and Invisibility, and make sure your have Fivefold Arrow. Get yourself into critical HP by falling. Buy up as many blast arrows as you can possibly carry, then head into the Everfall (or beach in Cassardis).

SAVE before you enter Lament.

Go kill the pawns, wait for Ur, cast Gale as he's coming down. Cast Invisibility. Use a liquid vim, use a periapt, equip blast arrows. Spam fivefold. Make sure you keep an eye on your vim status, reuse vims and periapts as needed.

When he leaves, make sure he really is leaving and not just going to the tower or something. Wait for the accessing server message. Afterwards, don't leave. Get out your Godsbane and kill yourself. Reload your save from outside, bam you have all your stuff back and you're instantly ready to go back in.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://dd360chat.chatango.com/ - Live Xbox 360 Dragon's Dogma Q&A, Urpdates, Game Tips, Trades, Uncensored General Chat
#6NyalliPosted 7/30/2012 7:56:24 AM
Unpure_Euphoria posted...
SAVE before you enter Lament.

Go kill the pawns, wait for Ur, cast Gale as he's coming down. Cast Invisibility. Use a liquid vim, use a periapt, equip blast arrows. Spam fivefold. Make sure you keep an eye on your vim status, reuse vims and periapts as needed.

When he leaves, make sure he really is leaving and not just going to the tower or something. Wait for the accessing server message. Afterwards, don't leave. Get out your Godsbane and kill yourself. Reload your save from outside, bam you have all your stuff back and you're instantly ready to go back in.

Are there any other items that are worth it for this strategy? Like, Maker's Fingers or magic items of any kind? I really wish there was a magic item that would cast an elemental enchantment, so you could get some advantage from your magic stat using this kind of strategy...

I wonder if it would be worth it (especially for a high-magic character like me) to go in with a low-level Mage pawn with Holy Affinity and Perturbation. Have the pawn severely hurt before you enter (when you save), have her cast Holy Affinity before you get to the pawns, and send her alone against the pawns to die.

Do you think the boost from that would be worth the extra hassle?

I'm not sure how long Holy Affinity lasts, but I guess you can keep her from going away by reviving her occasionally when you go to recast Gale Harness, but if you're doing that, you will want her to be not your main pawn and really low level. And mostly naked with an unbuffered Tattered Mantle equipped or something.

Hmm. Might make a new profile just to try this. Keep the pawn as low level as possible, but get her just enough exp to learn Holy Affinity and Perturbation. Then off the cliff with her! Not sure if it's worth it to get her to rank 7 for both skills. Might be better just to get her Holy Boon at rank 3 and leave her at level absurdly low.
---
#7Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 7/30/2012 8:50:06 AM
Maker's Finger nulls this strategy because when fired, the game saves.

As for the holy affinity deal, I've considered the concept. I don't think it'd be worth the hassle, really. Holy would give you a 25% damage boost for as long as it lasts, but you're losing out on Autonomy. Even sending the pawn to die against the pawns, it can take awhile for them to die and then you have to wait for them to go back to The Rift for Autonomy to kick in. You can go ahead and crunch your own numbers, I applaud the empirical spirit, but I personally don't see it being worth it.
---
http://dd360chat.chatango.com/ - Live Xbox 360 Dragon's Dogma Q&A, Urpdates, Game Tips, Trades, Uncensored General Chat
#8NyalliPosted 7/30/2012 9:12:58 AM
Maker's Finger nulls this strategy because when fired, the game saves.

As for the holy affinity deal, I've considered the concept. I don't think it'd be worth the hassle, really. Holy would give you a 25% damage boost for as long as it lasts, but you're losing out on Autonomy. Even sending the pawn to die against the pawns, it can take awhile for them to die and then you have to wait for them to go back to The Rift for Autonomy to kick in. You can go ahead and crunch your own numbers, I applaud the empirical spirit, but I personally don't see it being worth it.

I've read several places that Autonomy works while they are dead even before they get sent back to the Rift. I'll have to crunch the numbers myself to see. Also, doesn't the enchant add more than the 25% boost? Doesn't it add your magic to your strength? So, if you're like me and have higher magic than strength, wouldn't it add more like 50% to your damage for as long as it's active? Or does it not work like that because bows have no magic stat? I guess though that, because bows don't have a magic stat, the effects aren't as much as they'd be otherwise.

I guess I'll have to test this when I next have the time!
---
#9Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 7/30/2012 9:16:10 AM(edited)
I'm personally not yet convinced that enchanted items have their magic added to their strength outright. I'm more convinced that it's some more along the lines of 75% magic, 25% strength (that is to say, magic + 50% of str = damage). I don't have any numbers to support this, only my own observations and a hunch.

But by all means, test your heart out and let us know.
---
#10NyalliPosted 7/30/2012 9:20:55 AM
I'm personally not yet convinced that enchanted items have their magic added to their strength outright. I'm more convinced that it's some more along the lines of 75% magic, 25% strength (that is to say, magic + 50% of str = damage). I don't have any numbers to support this, only my own observations and a hunch.

But by all means, test your heart out and let us know.

Hmm, yeah, I'll definitely check that out when I have the time.

Any recommendations for number crunching? I was thinking of using the "total damage" value in the History screen and recording it after each shot. Also, using single shots and not skills, since they're more precise.
---