Sorc pawn and the Ur

#1PsychopskiPosted 11/17/2012 3:50:59 PM
My current lvl is 106, I've had 2 killing blows on the Ur since I started runs on him a few days ago, and I'm pretty sure I've lucked out by getting in on the easy grace period after only a few rotations.

Observations:

-High Levin never casted... EVER. removed from ability list
-High Ingle never casted. Remains on bar, only in case she's rented out for Chamber runs
-High Seism never casted. Remains in my line up in hopes i can find a spell line up where she'll start using this ability.
-High Bolide.... when this is in her attack line up, it's all she'll every try to cast. Even when put in Secondary slot.
-High Glicel... same as high bolide, she spams this ability, and pretty much no other abilities. I have another sorc pawn i bring that also has High Glicel, is there synergy between pawns when they're both casting?
-High Fulmination recently added to spell line up. Overall effectiveness questionable. High Bolide and High Glicel tend to trump use of any other ability, including Fulmination.
-High Maelstrom: used often, tends to be used in conjunction with Bolide and Glicel. Pretty much the ONLY other ability she'll cast other than Bolide/Glicel. Pawn will cast this 2 to 3 times per 8 minute fight.
-Ground based Abilities Comestation, Frigor tend to "miss" the Ur a majority of the time. Overall effectiveness questionable.

**Use of blast arrows on my Arisen/Ranger, keeping the Ur nearly "perma stunned" the first 3 to 4 minutes of the fight exponentially increases pawn successfully casting High Maelstrom.

Questions:

-Quick casting versus alpha strikes versus Ur. Any theory crafting or CONFIRMED effectiveness of going with ONLY Quick Casting line up of spells, versus going with NUKES(High Seism, High Maelstrom)? If I go with all Tier 1 and Tier 2 Abilities, High Ingle, Levin, Frigor, Comestation... will this be MORE effective than going with any Tier 3 abilities(Seism, Glicel, Maelstrom, Bolide)???

-Does Maelstrom only hit at the ground level? Or does the tornado hit from top(head of Ur) to the bottom(feet of Ur)? How high is the actual damage from this ability? Does this ability stagger/stun the Ur?

-Do abilities that knock down/stun(Frigor,Glicel, Comestation, Seism) smaller mobs actually stun/interrupt the Ur? From my observations... NO

-High Bolide... overall effectiveness versus Ur? A lot of the meteors tend to "miss" the Ur, versus homing in on one location.

-High Seism.. why doesnt my pawn cast this ability versus Ur?

-Does High Lassitude work versus Ur?(inflicts Turpor) Same question for Petrification.

-What does Fulmination actually do? Simply AOE lightning damage? Any stun component versus Ur? What's the hype with Sorc Fulmination use in conjunciton with Mystic Knight? What does the term "adds a bit of spark to the rest of the party" actually mean?

-Does placement of abilities in "Primary" and "Secondary" slots actually have any effect on a pawns tendency to cast one spell over the other more often? From my observations, NO. Bolide/Glicel in secondary slots my pawn still spams these ablities over all others.

-Effectiveness of Emphasis Augment(+ chance to knock down) versus Ur. Does this increases chances of stunning/staggering Ur? I see no difference in stun rates versus Ur when this ability is NOT slotted on my sorc.

-Stability Augment > Emphasis versus Ur? My experiences on my Ranger, when I dont have Stability slotted, I'm constantly interrupted by the Ur flapping his wings. Stability seems the superior for my sorc pawn, less chances of being interrupted.

-Utilitarian: superior for multiple sorc pawn synergy? Will they tend to cast the same spells more often?(lowering cast times)

more questions to follow.
---
GT: ST7A Bad Karma
Pawn: Pixie
#2Psychopski(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 4:02:35 PM
Caveat on the High Maelstrom question. When I asked "how high is the actual damage" I meant as in total damage dealt, versus how high up(towards the head) it actually hits the Ur.

So... is the damage output from Maelstrom extreme single target damage? or is it fluff AOE damage?
---
#3robert43sPosted 11/17/2012 4:42:33 PM
I fight the UR dragon as a sorcerer, and I really only use holy focused bolts. At the beginning I might cast high maelstrom, but that's about it.
#4KarathraxPosted 11/17/2012 5:06:36 PM
What you are experiencing is the difference between a sorcerer who runs with an Arisen sorcerer and a sorcerer who runs with an MK. I do not have answers for some of your questions as they lie outside my experience; I only played as a Ranger once, and that was my solo run on the online Ur that netted me my first kill.

Yes, spell order makes a difference, at times. You pawn knows what works and what doesn't by its AI recording a success. My sorcerers default to High Fulmination because with Draken's huge stamina stat, he can hold it for about a full minute, and it feeds into the best MK attack by stacking the sorcerers' united mag att into the MK's RS/GC. Stamina is crucial for success with this spell.

Utilitarian in the first position encourages the slower casting sorcerers to join the primary caster. By putting the mob inclination in first position, your pawn's battle position is out on the front line relative to the Arisen. In the second position, the sorcerer is between the Arisen and front line pawns, better strategically.

I use High: Ingle, Fulmination, Bolide, Gicel, holy affinity, and Maelstrom, in that order. Ingle is there for personal defense... I see my pawns use Ingle all the time, but in Lament, only on the evil!pawns. Bolide also fires the RS/GC combo but Bolide is best cast in a group, as is Maelstrom. Gicel is typically aimed at an Ur paw heart when the dragon is stunlocked or casting.

Yes, there is casting synergy, both speed and damage. The fastest caster determines the spell, the others join in.

I have to read your post again to write more.
#5CasylePosted 11/17/2012 9:41:08 PM
Karathrax posted...

Utilitarian in the first position encourages the slower casting sorcerers to join the primary caster. By putting the mob inclination in first position, your pawn's battle position is out on the front line relative to the Arisen. In the second position, the sorcerer is between the Arisen and front line pawns, better strategically.

I'll try flipping Scather and Utilitarian and putting Utilitarian on top and Scather 2nd position. Cas loves to dual cast High Gicel and High Fulmination when I really want her dual casting High Maelstrom and High Bolide.

I still say watching Ur buckle under the assault of twin High Maelstroms is beautiful. Can't wait to see if I can make that 3 High Maelstroms at once! *Laughs*
---
I will always love you Patricia Kathleen Ramsey, I miss you beyond belief and words and I'll never forget you...
#6meralonnePosted 11/19/2012 9:42:11 AM
My sorcerer Pawns also tend to spam Bolide and Gicel. They probably learned it from me. But Gorgoron will also frequently pull out the electro-bullwhip, and I use that only against armored Cyclopes.

Psychopski posted...
High Bolide... overall effectiveness versus Ur? A lot of the meteors tend to "miss" the Ur, versus homing in on one location.

Bolide is more effective when you're close to the target, as the meteors tend to land near your cast location. When fighting offline Ur, I like to get right next to Ur when he's staggered and charge this up. Typically, Ur gets staggered for an extended period this way. Online? I stick to Holy bolts as well. I may launch one Bolide at the beginning, but that's all I usually have time to do.
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#7Psychopski(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:49:03 PM
I switched over to Sorc(from Ranger, ranked up between levels) on my arisen, got sorc rank maxed. Hoping to gain some insite on how sorc mechanics work.

With Pixie(my pawn), Gandalph, my sorc, and a Ranger I tried several Ur runs. 3 High Maelstroms up at once is pretty magnificent. I can usually see which way the Ur is trying to escape out of the 3 maelstroms when they're up and running and usually try to get the next one in his path. Nothing funnier than seeing big baddie try his cool guy move by rearing up then shooting back, only to have 2 or 3 maelstroms stop him dead in his tracks.

Anyway back on topic. I found the "Go" command used just when I'm starting the casting of a spell causes the other sorc pawns to join in if they're not being knocked down/staggered, ect. Especially effective right as the Ur lands(if you and your pawns are close enough) at the beginning of the fight. I pulled off several 3 Maelstrom simulcasts several Ur rotations this way. Had several 8 minute rotations where the Ur hardly even scratched us, with multiple high maelstroms up all over the place. When the timing is right, tossed in the occasional High Gicel and High Seism when the Ur was "locked down" inside 2 or 3 maelstroms. Interesting fights, but I feel i get much steadier overall DPS on my Ranger. Being interrupted on a High Seism/Maelstrom at 99.9999% multiple times, that's a lot of time not doing any dps.

Now that I'm waaay off topic, still looking for feedback on several of the questions i listed above, thx all.
---