Ur-Dragon Generation 137

#81Austin119Posted 11/26/2012 1:00:28 PM
Ghost_of_Kirin posted...
Austin119 posted...
You know, maybe all the hackers actually modded their saves and someone seen what was going on and how much damage they were doing or something and put an end to it. Just a thought

Nope, that's very unlikely, and I say that with no disrespect. The system isn't that swift at all. Not from Microsoft's LIVE service or that from Capcom's end, if history is anything to go by.

This is actually Fred's doing. He single handedly stopped the Japanese hackers right at the time that they were beginning to get tired of competing against him.

He sent them a message on Thanksgiving Day -- crazy, I know, but it's got to be the Tryptophan -- to notify them of a Grace period. This touched their dark souls, and along with the fact that they were already getting burn-out from the game anyway, and realizing that Fred wouldn't easily give up his lead, they dropped out.

That is the more likely scenario than Microsoft or Capcom taking the appropriate actions. =)

I didn't know that Fred was messing with them like that. I must of been working. On a side note, I have been researching the different gamesaves online and have found that it isn't hard to increase your stats by insane amounts. Wouldn't that get you banned from XBL if you were facing online ur and did a crazy amount of damage?
---
GT: TylorTheTerrabl Pawn : Lola LVL 200 Sorcerer
GT: TheDarkArisen Pawn: Lilly LVL 200 Ranger
#82Ghost_of_KirinPosted 11/26/2012 1:17:03 PM
Austin119 posted...

I didn't know that Fred was messing with them like that. I must of been working. On a side note, I have been researching the different gamesaves online and have found that it isn't hard to increase your stats by insane amounts. Wouldn't that get you banned from XBL if you were facing online ur and did a crazy amount of damage?

Yeah, word is that it is easy to modify your save game stats to do massive amounts of damage, but the Ur-Dragon has a damage cap to protect it from such an exploit. So if you do too much damage and it'll simply fly off and you won't get the 'Access Server' notification to register the damage which would otherwise be added to the global total.

The hackers apparently found some form of software to manipulate their online Ur-Dragon damage dealing stats and other exploits to bypass any software security protocols.
---
"I often think that the best way to liberate Iran is just to drop Nintendo consoles from the air." ~ Salman Rushdie
#83Austin119Posted 11/26/2012 2:02:50 PM
It must be relativly high though, as a makers finger kills a heart flat out , something you could never do with just a character attacking.
---
GT: TylorTheTerrabl Pawn : Lola LVL 200 Sorcerer
GT: TheDarkArisen Pawn: Lilly LVL 200 Ranger
#84KarathraxPosted 11/26/2012 2:14:35 PM
Ghost_of_Kirin posted...
Karathrax posted...
Ghost_of_Kirin posted...

For the 0.02 one, and I say this very carefully, had you killed it in that round, we would have had Grace on the following rounds. =)

Oh, I know, and I did my level best. My normally-torpored cats actually opened a disdainful eye when that one got away, trust me... :D

Haha! The only thing my cats notice or take note of are the loading screen's fiery effect and the accessing server cursor spinning.

Also, while we're on the subject of animals, I swear that the Grimgooblin leader, with the Dire Wolf head attire, bellows out, who let the dogs out! It's the funniest thing, but I just never got around to bringing it up. =D

Capcom must have added new lines and idling animations at some point, because last night I was re-stocking my spring water and Draken was, as usual, acting all patiently impatient, being the designated beast of burden while everyone else was busily bottle-filling. He reaches up to scratch his head, looks at his fingers and takes a sniff!

I died on the spot.

This time I disturbed demon!puppy, who had been asleep under my chair. She gave me that reproachful look that dogs do so well.

(new lines because one of my alts is using lines I've never heard before from any pawn out of the hundreds I've rented, or seen on any dialog chart)
---
GT: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti
Boom-chicka-BOW-WOW
#85robert43sPosted 11/26/2012 2:28:17 PM
I suspect it depends on the communications between the Xbox and capcom servers. Was the data encrypted, was a simple easy to understand protocol used, did the servers each have there own IP address, was this address dictated by the Xbox, instead of the server etc... Targeting a single instance, suggest either each server had a unique IP address, or that the instance was part of the message. There are many ways to guard against this (single ip address through a firewall and load balancer), but it depends on what was implemented. For instance, the max damage; was that just checked for on the client (Xbox), or was it also checked for on the server. It would be relatively easy to snoop on the data stream that is sent between the server and client, but I am not interested in doing this, but I could see how someone would do this. Once done, it wouldn't be that hard to manipulate if the data was not encrypted, and was relatively easy to read.
#86robert43sPosted 11/26/2012 2:35:00 PM
Karathrax posted...
Capcom must have added new lines and idling animations at some point, because last night I was re-stocking my spring water and Draken was, as usual, acting all patiently impatient, being the designated beast of burden while everyone else was busily bottle-filling. He reaches up to scratch his head, looks at his fingers and takes a sniff!

I died on the spot.

This time I disturbed demon!puppy, who had been asleep under my chair. She gave me that reproachful look that dogs do so well.

(new lines because one of my alts is using lines I've never heard before from any pawn out of the hundreds I've rented, or seen on any dialog chart)

I was annoyed with my pawn; I too was restocking my spring water. At the beginning he was filling up the bottle, and then he stopped. Bloody lazy pawn, just stood there doing nothing. Well that's ok, when we fought the wyvern outside gran soren, my pawn died (as they do), and I ignored him. That will teach him not to fill up his bottles (the fact I would probably have thrown him in the brine is irrelevant).

Anyone got a health update ? I looked earlier and it was about 8.2.
#87KarathraxPosted 11/26/2012 2:41:06 PM
They do not fill empty bottles when their spring water inventory count reaches ten, no matter how many empties they have on hand. So, I get the strongest pawn to hold everyone's spring water bottles while the other two pawns and I keep filling.
---
GT: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti
Boom-chicka-BOW-WOW
#88robert43sPosted 11/26/2012 2:51:52 PM
Karathrax posted...
They do not fill empty bottles when their spring water inventory count reaches ten, no matter how many empties they have on hand. So, I get the strongest pawn to hold everyone's spring water bottles while the other two pawns and I keep filling.

Well, I learn something new about this game all the time, I did not realise that (or I forgot). I could have sworn they filled up more than 10 before, but it was a while back so I could be mistaken. Of course, I could have just been moving bottles around and forgot about the limit. D'oh.
#89Zague77Posted 11/26/2012 3:07:09 PM
On the subject of animals, my dog howls at the Battlestar Galactica title music (modern remake.) Cracks me up every time!
---
GTs: Zague77 & SleepyJimZzz
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
#90NAME(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 3:59:29 PM
Maybe he was a resistance fighter in a past life! Does he like tented market places? If you walk up to him when he's done eating from his bowl, does he wait for you to flip it over or something? :/
---
I'm supposed to be dead.