Can someone clarify this?

  • Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma
  3. Can someone clarify this?

User Info: CRK44

CRK44
4 years ago#1
I'm going off this page's info:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Archydra

I'm trying to farm White Hydra scales to 3* the Philosopher's Robes. There is a 49% Drop rate if you get a "Normal Hydra kill" but only a 7% drop rate if you get the "head/ neck destroyed kill". What does this mean? Does it mean I have to kill the hydra without destroying any of its heads?
Level ~61 Ranger (Challenger/Mitigator)
GT: C IR IK B3AST (those are capital i's)

User Info: DatDarkOne

DatDarkOne
4 years ago#2
I've gotten them everytime and I've always try for killing all the heads first. You can try to kill it without killing all the heads and see what happens.
It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for.
GT: DatDarkOne Pawn: Alita Alt: CujoGojiro Pawn: Cujo

User Info: Anakerie

Anakerie
4 years ago#3
I just killed one yesterday. When it died it had two heads left, and I got the white hydra scales from it. Not sure if that helps or not.
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna

User Info: mightehpelvis

mightehpelvis
4 years ago#4
That column on the table lists what drops when you chop the head off.
GT: pelviccannon
Silver alts: Tentacled Daisy, ScepticalHealer

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
4 years ago#5
Sounds like it's meaning that there's a 49% chance if you kill it with a hit that doesn't take a head off and a 7% chance if the killing blow did lop a head off.
"In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense."
~ Marisa Kirisame

User Info: DrNick2008

DrNick2008
4 years ago#6
I've killed the archhydra 2 ways... with high exequy as a sorcerer and with the traditional hack, slash, and burn method as a MA. Using the traditional method I think I've always gotten at least 2 white hydra scales and a poison hydra fang. Using exequy, I'm pretty sure I didn't receive any white hydra scales.

I just killed one a few minutes ago... just Julia and myself. I was trying to do it by just climbing and immolation + 100-kisses. Very hard. Very fun. Burned through all my curatives, and down to double-digit health at the end. Thankfully Julia got the killing stroke with a Bolide barrage. Totally awesome. :)
Gumbercules? I love that guy.
GT: Dr Nick 1971

User Info: Atrabilious

Atrabilious
4 years ago#7
You could just create duplicates at the Black Cat instead of endlessly farming scales. I do this for mostly everything nowadays, just make sure you dupe 1 more than you need for upgrading. That way you'll always have a spare to repeat the process should you ever need to.

Unless you're trying to get your first scale, in which case I can just send you one if you like. Pretty sure I have a spare.
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious/ClassiestFiddle/Phantom Ostrava | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Rent my Dragon's Dogma pawns on my Xbox GT's.

User Info: Unpure_Euphoria

Unpure_Euphoria
4 years ago#8
From: Atrabilious | Posted: 2/4/2013 11:05:38 PM | #007
You could just create duplicates at the Black Cat instead of endlessly farming scales.


Where's the fun in that?

At the OP, I'm just a little bit out of touch with the game as it's been awhile. Even longer since I've worried about something like drops. But I'm reading this chart more like a Monster Hunter drop chart: the chance is 49% default, but if you kill all its heads an additional drop occurs, which has a 7% chance of being the scale. The reason I'm reading it like this is because the Dragonkin tears increase rare drops, but this chat displays a lower rate with them. So I'm reading it as when you have them with you, there's a 60% chance you get an additional wakestone and a 40% chance you get a shard. Not reduced chances, they're better chances - or, rather, chances to get additional things.

Like in MH: the more stuff you break, the more rewards you get.
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - any game, any gamer! Love games? So do we.

User Info: Atrabilious

Atrabilious
4 years ago#9
To be honest I've never seen the fun in playing the odds of a RNG, different strokes for different folks I guess.
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious/ClassiestFiddle/Phantom Ostrava | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Rent my Dragon's Dogma pawns on my Xbox GT's.

User Info: CRK44

CRK44
4 years ago#10
Thanks guys, that really helps! I'm about to get on in a bit and run the Archhydra some more.

Atrabilious posted...
You could just create duplicates at the Black Cat instead of endlessly farming scales. I do this for mostly everything nowadays, just make sure you dupe 1 more than you need for upgrading. That way you'll always have a spare to repeat the process should you ever need to.

Unless you're trying to get your first scale, in which case I can just send you one if you like. Pretty sure I have a spare.


I'm actually trying to get my first one haha. If I kill it again and I still don't get a scale, I'll probably take you up on that offer :D

DrNick2008 posted...
I've killed the archhydra 2 ways... with high exequy as a sorcerer and with the traditional hack, slash, and burn method as a MA. Using the traditional method I think I've always gotten at least 2 white hydra scales and a poison hydra fang. Using exequy, I'm pretty sure I didn't receive any white hydra scales.

I just killed one a few minutes ago... just Julia and myself. I was trying to do it by just climbing and immolation + 100-kisses. Very hard. Very fun. Burned through all my curatives, and down to double-digit health at the end. Thankfully Julia got the killing stroke with a Bolide barrage. Totally awesome. :)


High Exequy eh? About how long did that actually take, and how did you manage to pull it off? Haha
Level ~61 Ranger (Challenger/Mitigator)
GT: C IR IK B3AST (those are capital i's)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma
  3. Can someone clarify this?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

  • Topic Archived