Can someone clarify this?

#1CRK44Posted 2/4/2013 8:32:04 PM
I'm going off this page's info:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Archydra

I'm trying to farm White Hydra scales to 3* the Philosopher's Robes. There is a 49% Drop rate if you get a "Normal Hydra kill" but only a 7% drop rate if you get the "head/ neck destroyed kill". What does this mean? Does it mean I have to kill the hydra without destroying any of its heads?
---
Level ~61 Ranger (Challenger/Mitigator)
GT: C IR IK B3AST (those are capital i's)
#2DatDarkOnePosted 2/4/2013 8:38:50 PM
I've gotten them everytime and I've always try for killing all the heads first. You can try to kill it without killing all the heads and see what happens.
---
It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for.
GT: DatDarkOne Pawn: Alita Alt: CujoGojiro Pawn: Cujo
#3AnakeriePosted 2/4/2013 8:42:20 PM
I just killed one yesterday. When it died it had two heads left, and I got the white hydra scales from it. Not sure if that helps or not.
---
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna
#4mightehpelvisPosted 2/4/2013 8:47:14 PM
That column on the table lists what drops when you chop the head off.
---
GT: pelviccannon
Silver alts: Tentacled Daisy, ScepticalHealer
#5MassacaPosted 2/4/2013 8:49:42 PM
Sounds like it's meaning that there's a 49% chance if you kill it with a hit that doesn't take a head off and a 7% chance if the killing blow did lop a head off.
---
"In a world without rules, danmaku is nonsense."
~ Marisa Kirisame
#6DrNick2008Posted 2/4/2013 9:01:07 PM
I've killed the archhydra 2 ways... with high exequy as a sorcerer and with the traditional hack, slash, and burn method as a MA. Using the traditional method I think I've always gotten at least 2 white hydra scales and a poison hydra fang. Using exequy, I'm pretty sure I didn't receive any white hydra scales.

I just killed one a few minutes ago... just Julia and myself. I was trying to do it by just climbing and immolation + 100-kisses. Very hard. Very fun. Burned through all my curatives, and down to double-digit health at the end. Thankfully Julia got the killing stroke with a Bolide barrage. Totally awesome. :)
---
Gumbercules? I love that guy.
GT: Dr Nick 1971
#7AtrabiliousPosted 2/4/2013 9:05:38 PM
You could just create duplicates at the Black Cat instead of endlessly farming scales. I do this for mostly everything nowadays, just make sure you dupe 1 more than you need for upgrading. That way you'll always have a spare to repeat the process should you ever need to.

Unless you're trying to get your first scale, in which case I can just send you one if you like. Pretty sure I have a spare.
---
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious/ClassiestFiddle/Phantom Ostrava | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Rent my Dragon's Dogma pawns on my Xbox GT's.
#8Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 2/4/2013 9:20:40 PM(edited)
You could just create duplicates at the Black Cat instead of endlessly farming scales.

Where's the fun in that?

At the OP, I'm just a little bit out of touch with the game as it's been awhile. Even longer since I've worried about something like drops. But I'm reading this chart more like a Monster Hunter drop chart: the chance is 49% default, but if you kill all its heads an additional drop occurs, which has a 7% chance of being the scale. The reason I'm reading it like this is because the Dragonkin tears increase rare drops, but this chat displays a lower rate with them. So I'm reading it as when you have them with you, there's a 60% chance you get an additional wakestone and a 40% chance you get a shard. Not reduced chances, they're better chances - or, rather, chances to get additional things.

Like in MH: the more stuff you break, the more rewards you get.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - any game, any gamer! Love games? So do we.
#9AtrabiliousPosted 2/4/2013 9:53:19 PM
To be honest I've never seen the fun in playing the odds of a RNG, different strokes for different folks I guess.
---
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious/ClassiestFiddle/Phantom Ostrava | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Rent my Dragon's Dogma pawns on my Xbox GT's.
#10CRK44(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:52:29 AM
Thanks guys, that really helps! I'm about to get on in a bit and run the Archhydra some more.

Atrabilious posted...
You could just create duplicates at the Black Cat instead of endlessly farming scales. I do this for mostly everything nowadays, just make sure you dupe 1 more than you need for upgrading. That way you'll always have a spare to repeat the process should you ever need to.

Unless you're trying to get your first scale, in which case I can just send you one if you like. Pretty sure I have a spare.

I'm actually trying to get my first one haha. If I kill it again and I still don't get a scale, I'll probably take you up on that offer :D

DrNick2008 posted...
I've killed the archhydra 2 ways... with high exequy as a sorcerer and with the traditional hack, slash, and burn method as a MA. Using the traditional method I think I've always gotten at least 2 white hydra scales and a poison hydra fang. Using exequy, I'm pretty sure I didn't receive any white hydra scales.

I just killed one a few minutes ago... just Julia and myself. I was trying to do it by just climbing and immolation + 100-kisses. Very hard. Very fun. Burned through all my curatives, and down to double-digit health at the end. Thankfully Julia got the killing stroke with a Bolide barrage. Totally awesome. :)

High Exequy eh? About how long did that actually take, and how did you manage to pull it off? Haha
---
Level ~61 Ranger (Challenger/Mitigator)
GT: C IR IK B3AST (those are capital i's)