Instead of Dark Arisen

#1HalecticPosted 2/4/2013 9:57:40 PM
Capcom should have just called it Dragons Dogma G, as it is basically what they do with Monster Hunter
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#2AnakeriePosted 2/4/2013 10:37:33 PM
I've said it before, I am well aware it's a ploy to get my money. However, I have gotten more joy and pleasure out of this slick little game than most games I've purchased over the last 5 years. So...yeah...they can have my money. If next year they release yet another version...I'll be there as well.
---
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna
#3clyde_ghostPosted 2/5/2013 12:37:25 AM
lol you miss the point dude. dark arisen itself is the name of the expansion. by your logic we should name stuff like skyrim, skyrim G or skyrim tri etc "as it is basically what they do in monster hunter".

sure. it has to come on a new disc, i get it. but they didnt want to take chances when they didnt know how many people were going to buy their game, so they played it safe and made it so that the original game couldnt support additional content. Why? well, so not to waste resources to include it. in summary, they played it safe so that if the game was a flop, they didnt have to make dlc for a game that nobody plays. it sorta explains on-disc dlc and why they were so small too. considering all that, no, thats not what they basically do for monster hunter.
---
GT - Vanuber & Stylish Lynx
PSN - Stylish_Lynx
#4PolypropylenPosted 2/5/2013 1:34:18 AM
What is dark arisen about? What causes your anger? I played DD 6months ago and just saw one DarkArisen trailer but i don't get it...
#5Zague77Posted 2/5/2013 3:13:08 AM
Polypropylen posted...
What is dark arisen about? What causes your anger? I played DD 6months ago and just saw one DarkArisen trailer but i don't get it...

Dark Arisen is an upcoming expansion. The anger is caused by the fact that it will not be available to buy alone. It only comes with the original game included - albeit a tweaked version with a few improvements. In other words, if you already own the game, you have to buy it again, plus the expansion, in order to get the new content. Now, it all depends on how much new content we get, how high the quality of that content is, and how much they charge as to just how badly Capcom is screwing us over, if at all. (Some people believe they're not actually charging for the original game at all, which makes for a phenomenally good deal for those who've never owned the game before.) So far, the only price floating around is 20/30/$40 for the PS3 downloadable version, which on the one hand seems very reasonable - especially for us here in the UK, as 20 is less than 30 and $40 - and on the other tends to suggest that we're not going to be getting much for our money. I really do hope it's the former.

The official reason given is that they didn't put "hooks" into the code when they made the game, meaning there's nothing to attach the expansion onto to make it work. I admit I don't really know the first thing about game design and development, so this might be a perfectly valid reason. The thing that annoys me, personally, is why they made the decision not to put those "hooks" in. Because they didn't want to waste time and resources in case the game didn't turn out successful enough to merit an expansion? If so, fair enough. But given that this is Capcom, and with their track record of doing exactly this kind of thing time and time again, I tend to suspect that the main thrust of their thinking was more like:

"OK. So we don't know if we'll be making an expansion, but if we do we get to fleece the gamers whose support is the reason we get to make it, by giving them no option but to buy the game they already own all over again! $$$ :D"

As I said, though, we need to wait and see about volume, quality and price. And I love this game to death, so I'm prepared to cut Capcom some slack. It's certainly going to make me very wary about buying new games from them in the future, though >_<
---
GTs: Zague77 & SleepyJimZzz
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
#6Halectic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:14:36 PM(edited)
It is a very valid concern though. Many people dont buy the new Monster Hunter because they release a G version, which if you want to use the enhanced featured and additions require you to buy the game all over again.

Bethesda does not require you to buy Skyrim everytime you want to play the DLC, however Capcom is making you buy a game you already own just to use the additions.

---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#7simonbelmont2Posted 2/6/2013 12:01:28 AM
Halectic posted...
It is a very valid concern though. Many people dont buy the new Monster Hunter because they release a G version, which if you want to use the enhanced featured and additions require you to buy the game all over again.

Bethesda does not require you to buy Skyrim everytime you want to play the DLC, however Capcom is making you buy a game you already own just to use the additions.

Yeah it is a valid concern. Capcom always do this with their games. I wonder how much content dark arisen will offer for 20. It will have to offer a lot for me to buy the game again. I don't reckon it will offer much but I could be wrong.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#8Chrono Trigger RulesPosted 2/6/2013 12:49:07 AM
ok this is the last time I ever bought a capcom game on release....
---
Colbert on HSBC: So they're like 007, licensed to kill our economy.
#9Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 2/6/2013 12:54:14 AM
From: Chrono Trigger Rules | Posted: 2/6/2013 2:49:07 AM | #008
ok this is the last time I ever bought a capcom game on release....

Oh God I thought I left you behind at the BL2 board.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - any game, any gamer! Love games? So do we.
#10Damiand77Posted 2/6/2013 1:15:15 AM
Nah, Dragon's Dogma 1.5, to really piss off fans.
:}