For Dark Arisen: Going to be making a Mystic Knight.

#1shiggyboy2Posted 3/11/2013 11:55:51 PM
So, after getting to level 60 or so, defeating the dragon (But not post game) and kind of getting bored of playing my Strider/Assassin/Ranger for some reason, I kind of decided I wanted to try playing a mystic knight. Mostly because I like magic/melee hybrids, and because I keep finding really cool stuff to use with them.

Just curious on a few things. Any suggestions, hints, tips, etc for playing a Mystic Knight? Do they focus on Magic for their attack? Or only for their spells and strength for club attacks?

Just wondering how they work in comparison to other classes. Once I kind of know, I'll probably start working on a kind of level make-up.
#2KarathraxPosted 3/12/2013 2:45:11 AM
The MK is very versatile and can be massively OP depending on skill selection, party makeup and tactics.

One can act as a squad leader with sorcerers and rangers (I haven not tried striders with this yet) and watch the sorcerers and rangers feed their attacks into your great cannons. Or you can lay waste to everything by aggressively using the Fighter skills. Or equip the Staff and go around one-shotting enemies with a charged focus bolt (I'm looking at you, dead Hellhounds, hahah!), or great cannon everything that moves using the appropriate elemental buff-- your Trances.

The Magick/Great Cannon is split 40/60 str to mag in its calculation of damage. This means the MK was probably designed to turn a balanced Arisen into a powerhouse; in actuality it can shine with any spread of stats except a full str build. Even then, using the fighter-based abilities and avoiding the purely magick skills would make that 'sin build MK very effective, too, though the one thing I would not do is take that one against the online Ur as its mag and mag def deficiencies would work against it.
---
GT/PSN: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti
#3cmhawk84Posted 3/12/2013 5:14:15 AM
Yeah Mystic Knight was my favorite class besides Magic Archer. Great Cannon is the almighty equalizer...
#4erw62Posted 3/12/2013 5:30:32 AM
Mystic Knight was an early favorite vocation for me, and the first hybrid one that I sampled. I sorta go back and forth between this and Magick Archer for the most part, and typically prefer a ranged Arisen over a melee vocation anyway. My favorite magic shield is Dark Buckler, and my preferred weapon is Totem Mace.
---
gt: AboundedOrc0
main pawn: Skuld
#5hauntbotPosted 3/12/2013 7:51:46 AM
Karathrax posted...
The MK is very versatile and can be massively OP depending on skill selection, party makeup and tactics.

One can act as a squad leader with sorcerers and rangers (I haven not tried striders with this yet) and watch the sorcerers and rangers feed their attacks into your great cannons. Or you can lay waste to everything by aggressively using the Fighter skills. Or equip the Staff and go around one-shotting enemies with a charged focus bolt (I'm looking at you, dead Hellhounds, hahah!), or great cannon everything that moves using the appropriate elemental buff-- your Trances.

The Magick/Great Cannon is split 40/60 str to mag in its calculation of damage. This means the MK was probably designed to turn a balanced Arisen into a powerhouse; in actuality it can shine with any spread of stats except a full str build. Even then, using the fighter-based abilities and avoiding the purely magick skills would make that 'sin build MK very effective, too, though the one thing I would not do is take that one against the online Ur as its mag and mag def deficiencies would work against it.

im pretty new to mk myself- how do you get pawns to target the gc? do they just learn from you over time, or will any particular ai inclinations or commands (like GO!) encourage this?
---
if it doesnt feel like dragging rusty needles across your gums, it isnt worth playing. ~truballergamerjammer2013
#6meralonnePosted 3/12/2013 7:56:42 AM
I'm not certain that they'll go out of their way to target a GC sphere. But I do know that certain spells equipped on a Sorcerer pawn will tend to find their way to it. Fulmination is a definite YES. Gicel is very effective as well and even a stray Bolide meteor will set a GC off.

Kara would know a lot better than I, since MK is her bread and butter.
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#7KarathraxPosted 3/12/2013 8:22:59 AM(edited)
I get the best results with Utilitarian/Challenger. Three sorcerers with this inclination setting plus similar spells just about guarantees tag-team casting. You need three stars in the Bestiary knowledge, though that's not as essential as mirroring is pretty universal no matter the bestiary knowledge of the pawn. An interloper with different inclinations, even Challenger/Utilitarian, alas, is not guaranteed to cast as part of the team.

Things that set off a Ruinous Sigil, which in turn fires a Great Cannon:

Magick Agent
Wind impact (gust of air when you're rushed by a big enemy)

Things that set off a Great Cannon:

High Fulmination (set within the bubble field from the sorcerer)
High Bolide
High Gicel (if you stand in front of the Sorcerer casting this spell)
High Maelstrom (set your sigils just inside the funnel cloud, yeow!)

Never interrupt your sorcerers with a d-pad directive. This means casting your own party buffs during a long fight. A Wyrmking's Ring will help a MK cast all his/her magick skills 15% faster, including the RS and MC.

I built my alt's pawn, Segnbora, specifically for this purpose-- small and quick to cast and quick to regain stamina. She is almost as fond of High Bolide as Gorgoron...
---
GT/PSN: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti
#8hauntbotPosted 3/12/2013 8:38:21 AM
Karathrax posted...
I get the best results with Utilitarian/Challenger. Three sorcerers with this inclination setting plus similar spells just about guarantees tag-team casting. You need three stars in the Bestiary knowledge, though that's not as essential as mirroring is pretty universal no matter the bestiary knowledge of the pawn. An interloper with different inclinations, even Challenger/Utilitarian, alas, is not guaranteed to cast as part of the team.

Things that set off a Ruinous Sigil, which in turn fires a Great Cannon:

Magick Agent
Wind impact (gust of air when you're rushed by a big enemy)

Things that set off a Great Cannon:

High Fulmination (set within the bubble field from the sorcerer)
High Bolide
High Gicel (if you stand in front of the Sorcerer casting this spell)
High Maelstrom (set your sigils just inside the funnel cloud, yeow!)

Never interrupt your sorcerers with a d-pad directive. This means casting your own party buffs during a long fight. A Wyrmking's Ring will help a MK cast all his/her magick skills 15% faster, including the RS and MC.

I built my alt's pawn, Segnbora, specifically for this purpose-- small and quick to cast and quick to regain stamina. She is almost as fond of High Bolide as Gorgoron...

cool.

a shame most sorc pawns i see are challenger/uti instead of vice-versa. assuming they arent just guardians, that is. XD
---
if it doesnt feel like dragging rusty needles across your gums, it isnt worth playing. ~truballergamerjammer2013
#9shiggyboy2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 2:16:45 PM
:D Awesome! All this info is much appreciated. So I need to find some good balance between strength and magick huh? Alrighty... I'll have to plan something out.
#10CarlBarryPosted 3/13/2013 2:57:51 PM
I have dragons dogma. On reading the boards, I noticed the words dark arisen. Can someone please tell me what that is, is it a DLC, or new game?