Changing vocations

#1CarlBarryPosted 5/17/2013 10:48:44 AM
I'm a level 39 strider using a reinforced longbow. Should I switch over to a MA? Does a MA have better and stronger bows than a strider?
#2DrNick2008Posted 5/17/2013 11:00:07 AM(edited)
MA is basically a magic user that uses a magic bow instead of a staff/archistaff. Magic bows are pure magic weapons, unlike bows/longbows of striders/rangers that use arrows (and specialty arrows). The magic bows, since they are pure magic damage, aren't better, or necessarily stronger, just different.

You can switch to MA at any point. But, you'd be better off at least maxing out the sorcerer vocation before attempting a switch to MA... both for its increased Mag stat and for the sorcerer augments that are almost a requirement for any decent MA.
---
There's no zodiacal sign called Nesbitt.
GT: Dr Nick 1971
#3K_MAC445Posted 5/17/2013 11:01:31 AM(edited)
Striders cant use longbows so you are either a ranger or using a different weapon. As for which is better it depends on your stats, The damage of magick bows is based on your magick stat only so depending on what yours is it could be better or worse. My advice, if you care about having a really powerful character and like to min/max, is to look into how vocation affects stat growth and decide what you want to do from there.
---
"if you can chainbs well then putting on hornets is like giving Michael Phelps arm floats" -Dex_Pyromaniac
GT: RANNOK445
#4CarlBarry(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 11:01:56 AM
Thanks dr. Nick, another question, I can't seem to find any stronger longbows than the reinforced one I'm using, any suggestions where to go to find them?
#5meralonnePosted 5/17/2013 11:03:58 AM
Stronger gear unlocks at the shops as you progress in the MQ.

The strongest stuff is in Bitterblack Isle. But be prepared to die a lot if you're low level.
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#6LonerwolfMPosted 5/17/2013 11:09:48 AM
CarlBarry posted...
I'm a level 39 strider using a reinforced longbow. Should I switch over to a MA? Does a MA have better and stronger bows than a strider?

Think this was awnsered in your other post but here goes .

Shortbows for Strider and Assasin plus Longbows for Rangers are ALL Stregnth based for damage. Magic Bows for Magic Archer are Magic based for damage so you cant compare them.

Altho you want Stamina for both my suggestion if you want to end as Magic Archer throw some lvls in as Sorceror now so your Magic Archer will have some punch when hits with bow shots.
---
GT LONER WOLF pawn Makoto Fire feel free to send a friend request :)
#7CarlBarry(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 11:15:52 AM
Thanks loner so you're saying I should switch over to a scorcerer, before I become a MA?
#8LonerwolfMPosted 5/17/2013 11:36:32 AM
CarlBarry posted...
Thanks dr. Nick, another question, I can't seem to find any stronger longbows than the reinforced one I'm using, any suggestions where to go to find them?

Dependig how far in story you are Reinforced is best you can get for awile. NOT counting post game and Merchants you have chances at better Longbows at these locations in DD vanilla

Bespoke Longbow lvl 23
Northface Forest, Frontier Cavern, Soulflayer Canyon, Bluemoon Tower 1st floor

Plain Longbow lvl 28
Soulflayer Canyon 1st floor, Asst Merchants

Veterans Arc lvl 32
Tainted Mtn Temple, The Greatwall

Noble Limbs lvl 35
Tainted Mountain

Dragons Blink lvl 42
ARISEN DEFEATS GRIGORI AS RANGER

Savage Fang lvl 43 EVERFALL any additional DA only Longbows I dont know offhand
---
#9LonerwolfMPosted 5/17/2013 11:41:04 AM
CarlBarry posted...
Thanks loner so you're saying I should switch over to a scorcerer, before I become a MA?

JMO

Yes because that extra magic will make a difference in the Damage when you do switch and MA equips Magic Bows you need that list too ?
---
#10xtabascomanxPosted 5/17/2013 11:42:46 AM
LonerwolfM posted...
CarlBarry posted...

Dependig how far in story you are Reinforced is best you can get for awile. NOT counting post game and Merchants you have chances at better Longbows at these locations in DD vanilla

Bespoke Longbow lvl 23
Northface Forest, Frontier Cavern, Soulflayer Canyon, Bluemoon Tower 1st floor

Plain Longbow lvl 28
Soulflayer Canyon 1st floor, Asst Merchants

Veterans Arc lvl 32
Tainted Mtn Temple, The Greatwall

Noble Limbs lvl 35
Tainted Mountain

Dragons Blink lvl 42
ARISEN DEFEATS GRIGORI AS RANGER

Savage Fang lvl 43 EVERFALL any additional DA only Longbows I dont know offhand

Is Veteran's Arc really lvl 32? I got one around level 22 and it wasn't draining stamina.
---
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
GT: xchumfiestax - Ranger; Fystax - Sorcerer; Mechwarri0r2 - Warrior