Secret Augment effectiveness

#1out51d3rPosted 7/2/2013 11:44:10 PM
So, I've been testing some of the secret augments lately, and here's my thoughts on what I've used so far:

Opportunism- One of the more obvious ones. 20% extra strength while climbing is really solid. I play a str assassin/strider, and darn near everything threatening in Dark Arisen is climbable, so I use it alot. Been a core skill for me ever since I got it.

Adhesion- This is even better than Opportunism. It solves the biggest weakness of climbing(getting knocked off/stamina drained as your victim flails about). Another core skill since I got it.

Recuperation- This is pretty decent if you have a healing mage in your group. Makes Anodyne top you up way faster. I'm not currently using it, but I'm debating what I can drop to make room for it.

Mettle- This one is really good if you have a healer(better than Recuperation, imho). It makes most of the damage you take into white damage(meaning your healer can heal it). It reminds me of what it was like to play on normal difficulty. I did a shortcut->daimon clear with this on tonight, and I only used a curative once(right before daimon, to top me up just in case). I'd ended up with maybe 750 unhealable damage through the entire run.

Tenacity- I haven't used this one on myself yet, but I do use it on my pawn. When it triggers, it really works well. My pawn get possessed a few days ago. So, I tried to kill it. It was surprisingly hard. It was stuck at 1 health for about 5-10 seconds before I finally got it down. I'm not sure how exactly this works, but I highly suspect that when it triggers, there's some sort of invulnerability that kicks in for a short time to prevent you from being immediately killed again. I probably won't use this one, as I have plenty of HP and don't get one shotted. I may keep it on my pawn though.

I haven't tried out Predation yet, how much health do you recover from it? How about Fortune, is the RC increase noticeable?

Other than those, the others look pretty situational. I could see Athleticism and Grace(and maybe Flow too) having their uses in Speed Run.
#2CuriousTroutPosted 7/2/2013 11:48:44 PM(edited)
out51d3r posted...
So, I've been testing some of the secret augments lately, and here's my thoughts on what I've used so far:

Opportunism- One of the more obvious ones. 20% extra strength while climbing is really solid. I play a str assassin/strider, and darn near everything threatening in Dark Arisen is climbable, so I use it alot. Been a core skill for me ever since I got it.

Adhesion- This is even better than Opportunism. It solves the biggest weakness of climbing(getting knocked off/stamina drained as your victim flails about). Another core skill since I got it.

Recuperation- This is pretty decent if you have a healing mage in your group. Makes Anodyne top you up way faster. I'm not currently using it, but I'm debating what I can drop to make room for it.

Mettle- This one is really good if you have a healer(better than Recuperation, imho). It makes most of the damage you take into white damage(meaning your healer can heal it). It reminds me of what it was like to play on normal difficulty. I did a shortcut->daimon clear with this on tonight, and I only used a curative once(right before daimon, to top me up just in case). I'd ended up with maybe 750 unhealable damage through the entire run.

Tenacity- I haven't used this one on myself yet, but I do use it on my pawn. When it triggers, it really works well. My pawn get possessed a few days ago. So, I tried to kill it. It was surprisingly hard. It was stuck at 1 health for about 5-10 seconds before I finally got it down. I'm not sure how exactly this works, but I highly suspect that when it triggers, there's some sort of invulnerability that kicks in for a short time to prevent you from being immediately killed again. I probably won't use this one, as I have plenty of HP and don't get one shotted. I may keep it on my pawn though.

I haven't tried out Predation yet, how much health do you recover from it? How about Fortune, is the RC increase noticeable?

Other than those, the others look pretty situational. I could see Athleticism and Grace(and maybe Flow too) having their uses in Speed Run.

For predation, it's 100 health a kill. In direct combat it isn't that noticeable, but if you run around without a mage and run out of curatives, then a room full of weak enemies (Spiders, Leapworms, Birds, etc.) can be a boon.
---
GT: CuriousTrout
#3Ghost_of_KirinPosted 7/3/2013 12:10:31 AM(edited)
To be perfectly honest? And not one to rain on your parade, but the only one worth mentioning is the Opportunism Secret Augment.

Adhesion is wasted on your Arisen since you can avoid being thrown off from enemies by simply holding up on the left analogue stick.

So, as you're wailing into the enemy, press and hold up on the left analogue stick to prevent your Arisen from being thrown off, don't press and hold up as the enemy is about to throw you off though, maintain that hold by continuously holding up whenever you're attacking to prevent your Arisen from being thrown off.

Reserve that space for another Augment. :)
---
Eram quod es, eris quod sum
#4out51d3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 12:22:23 AM
Ghost_of_Kirin posted...
Adhesion is useless on your Arisen since you can avoid being thrown off from enemies by simply holding up on the left analogue stick.

So, as you're wailing into the enemy, press and hold up on the left analogue stick to prevent your Arisen from being thrown off, don't press and hold up as the enemy is about to throw you off though, maintain that hold by continuously holding up whenever you're attacking.

Interesting. I gave it a shot vs a thunderwyvern, and the only way it could get me off was by running me out of stamina. Both with and without the augment, it's spin seemed to take roughly the same amount of stamina from me. I may mess with this a bit more tomorrow, see how it works with/without arm strength.
#5lunarswordPosted 7/3/2013 12:54:12 AM(edited)
Adhesion only reduces the chance you are spontaneously thrown off, with no effect on the stamina drain (that's another augment entirely). personally i just use Athleticism for all the constant sprinting around I do.
---
"This is all me. This is ALL ME!"
Video play throughs at - http://www.youtube.com/user/DreadArkive
#6out51d3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 7:35:38 AM
lunarsword posted...
Adhesion only reduces the chance you are spontaneously thrown off, with no effect on the stamina drain (that's another augment entirely). personally i just use Athleticism for all the constant sprinting around I do.

Yeah, I'd been assuming that Adhesion affected the chunk of stamina lost when a monster uses it's "get off me!" abilities(eg, the airborn spin from any of the dragons). That doesn't appear to be the case.
#7CincadaPosted 7/3/2013 9:04:49 AM
These have all been tested before and by a lot of people.
That being said, like Ghost said the only good one you mentioned is Opportunism.
It surprises me that you didn't test Athleticism...
Most people use Athleticism (The Less stamina when you run) especially in hard mode when dodging attacks becomes more important than eating them.
For magic classes, especially MA, Athleticism is pretty much the ONLY useful augment unless you plan to climb something and dagger it, and even then running Opportunism is debatable.
---
Xbox360 Gamertag: Cincada
Pawn: Serena lvl 200 (Current Vocation: Ranger **I think**) Full Obliv gear Etc. We kill things dead.
#8meralonnePosted 7/3/2013 9:50:17 AM
I disagree. I don't do much climbing, so Opportunism is wasted on me.

But I do find Tenacity to be quite useful, especially given the fact that BB bosses can spawn right on top of you without warning. Ever had a Curse Dragon show up and land on you before you can move? Not fun! =D
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#9out51d3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2013 10:10:56 AM
Cincada posted...
That being said, like Ghost said the only good one you mentioned is Opportunism.
It surprises me that you didn't test Athleticism...

I just did a quick test with it. Seems to cut the stamina cost to sprint in half(I could sprint for ~70 seconds without it, ~140 seconds with it). I'm not really sold on it being that useful in general though. When I'm sprinting in a fight, it's generally a short burst to position myself. Maybe I'll try equipping it for a Daimon clear later today, but I can't see it being that helpful.
#10cameron_9428Posted 7/3/2013 10:23:24 AM
Ghost_of_Kirin posted...
To be perfectly honest? And not one to rain on your parade, but the only one worth mentioning is the Opportunism Secret Augment.

Adhesion is wasted on your Arisen since you can avoid being thrown off from enemies by simply holding up on the left analogue stick.

So, as you're wailing into the enemy, press and hold up on the left analogue stick to prevent your Arisen from being thrown off, don't press and hold up as the enemy is about to throw you off though, maintain that hold by continuously holding up whenever you're attacking to prevent your Arisen from being thrown off.

Reserve that space for another Augment. :)

Do you think it's worth a slot on a pawn? I guess it probably is since I doubt pawns know how to use this trick :p
---
GT: ErrantCrib2521
Pawn: Tessa, level 200 strider.