Hiring and Using Caster Pawns FAQ

#21Ghost_of_KirinPosted 9/25/2013 9:45:24 PMmessage detail
I actually came off a bit harsh in my wording; so pardon my take on that, if you will, my friend. But yeah, I have used Pawns with Legion's Might before, as well as my own Pawn, at the time. As I progressed through out the game I kinda grew out of it, though. Since Spring Water has almost the same effect, but one better perhaps, in that Pawns will spam them like there's no tomorrow, without interrupting their spell, should they deplete their health -- but never actually dying -- and all the while still able to do huge damage and all. :)

Seeing as this game is pretty much about micromanagement, where curatives and boosters are concerned, it kinda does away with the need for Legion's Might, one could say.

Still, to each and their own, I suppose. :)
---
Justin Bailey
| Gamertag: Ghost of Kirin | MK Ur-Dragon run: http://youtu.be/jtkfQCqYzgM |
#22Derdak54Posted 9/26/2013 12:11:42 AMmessage detail(edited)
melee mage as good as a fighter ? huh , certainly not :P
unless you picking some bad setup fighter pawns , there is no way it would be true . just the fact that a mage need time to cast , even the slightiest time , a capable fighter pawn will wreck anything in sight before the mage can end its spell . a fusillade fighter ( meaning it has only dragon's maw and shelterred fusillade equipped ) is the perfect melee tank , not even warriors can match their speed and DPS .

also, i would like to mention that tenacity works almost close as legion's might ability , combining this augment with equanimity for mage/sorcerers and you will have a beast regarding damage dealing , my pawn Felli is equipped as such and her magic gets a great boost while in the red health, tenacity prevent her to die 6 times out of 10 .

---
GTs: Derdak54 , GRDvStingray69 , ArisenNemesis00 , BadAstronaut38
-----Tessa_Sorc ---- Felli_Sorc ------- Myu_ Strider ----- Miranda_Strider
#23CatfishWigginsPosted 9/26/2013 12:33:38 AMmessage detail
Ghost_of_Kirin posted...
Still, to each and their own, I suppose. :)

That's certainly true. I find inventory management tedious, despite how effective curatives are. I trade off some efficiency for never having to worry about inventory. My team is still extremely effective though, so I would not dismiss Legion's Might as not being viable.

@Derdak: Fighters can deal more burst damage, especially in melee range when the mage would be interrupted, but the mage wins on survivability. The mage is hands free immortal without curatives or having to waste time casting the heal spell. You can toss your mages down ledges and they'll get back up and fight off any enemies down there. They have unlimited HP. Mages are also much better at getting the attention of ranged or flying enemies.

There are different playstyles, many people do not appreciate Legion's Might, but a sticky thread should be comprehensive and not biased.
---
Aught ought not have naught for recompense.
#24Ghost_of_KirinPosted 9/26/2013 4:40:49 AMmessage detail(edited)
The reason why it's not included in this comprehensive guide is because it only has one use, period. As this guide is more about maximizing the output and effectiveness of a caster Pawn. A powerful Attack Mage can take care of both enemy types where as your preference caters more to the smaller fries. So the only one being biased is you, my friend.

As they say, only a fool goes unprepared, in this game. A proper setup and micromanagement, far outstrips the effectiveness of just being lazy and equipping just the Legion's Might.

And as for wasting time casting healing spells, as you so put it? Coolfire already outlined the proper inclination setup for that, which can be effectively tailored to one's individual playstyle, in determining when they'd like the Mage to heal them, or to continue casting an attack spell.

You can also toss a Pawn down a ledge to fight off enemies with the right Augments and setup; such as Bastion, Awareness, Tenacity and Spring Water, even the right armor types, but the real kicker is that they'll still do far MORE damage than a Mage with just a Legion's Might equipped!

This is why you DO NOT see many Pawn's with it, it's not as useful as you make it out to be. So you shouldn't go calling this guide biased, it's uncalled for. :)

As you can see, everything I argued against, previously and above, greatly outstrips the usefulness of having just the Legion's Might equipped on a Pawn. :)

---
Justin Bailey
#25CatfishWigginsPosted 9/26/2013 6:55:44 AMmessage detail
That part where you ignored my points and then just repeated your opinions made me feel like you might not be interested in a debate. I'll repost them more briefly:

Legion's Might is not Ineffective
My team beats every quest and kills every boss quick and easy, with absolutely no item usage. I don't Periapt for Daimon and I never need a healing item. If I feel like lazily watching my pawns slaughter enemies, I can also sit back and watch them work.

Legion's Might is Fun
I dislike Dogma's inventory management so I made a team that lets me quest or farm bosses continuously without having to worry about items. While you're scooping Spring Water or buying items, I'm out in the field, fighting the warrior's fight.

Sticky Threads Should Be Held to a Higher Quality
My claim is that this thread is not comprehensive. It is specifically a Mage/Sorcerer guide and it doesn't even mention the coolest weapon effect in the game. You dismissing Legion's Might's effectiveness without having tried it is what is biased. I guess the original guide isn't really biased itself, just incomplete. It's just as possible that the author did not recall Legion's Might while he was typing it.
---
Aught ought not have naught for recompense.
#26Ghost_of_KirinPosted 9/26/2013 7:44:36 AMmessage detail(edited)
CatfishWiggins posted...
That part where you ignored my points and then just repeated your opinions made me feel like you might not be interested in a debate. I'll repost them more briefly:

I have what's called a life, and don't have the time for circle arguments, mate! Debate? This isn't a debate, it's just your personal opinion forced down our throats, man.

My team beats every quest and kills every boss quick and easy, with absolutely no item usage. I don't Periapt for Daimon and I never need a healing item. If I feel like lazily watching my pawns slaughter enemies, I can also sit back and watch them work.

Buddy I can say the same thing following the guidelines in this guide. Or using my own playstyle.

Legion's Might is Fun
I dislike Dogma's inventory management so I made a team that lets me quest or farm bosses continuously without having to worry about items. While you're scooping Spring Water or buying items, I'm out in the field, fighting the warrior's fight.

Good for you! :p But I happen to like grabbing stuff for my inventory. Let's see you pit yourself and your party against the online Ur-Dragon without Periapts! You're so full of it, mate! Seriously!

My claim is that this thread is not comprehensive. It is specifically a Mage/Sorcerer guide and it doesn't even mention the coolest weapon effect in the game. You dismissing Legion's Might's effectiveness without having tried it is what is biased. I guess the original guide isn't really biased itself, just incomplete. It's just as possible that the author did not recall Legion's Might while he was typing it.

I am biased for not having tried it? Which part did you not see me state that I haven't tried it? You're the one ignoring and dismissing what Derdak and I were saying, so speak for yourself, man.

BTW. it's NOT the coolest weapon in the game! That's just your opinion, mate. I can state many more with better effects than that Popsicle of yours. :) Trust me, I'm not kidding around. :)
---
Justin Bailey
#27coolfire1357(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 9:01:28 AMmessage detail
CatfishWiggins posted...

Legion's Might is Fun

As the author of this guide, the above bold/italic is true. While my pawn is both Mage and Sorcerer, and was a Mage for a long time, I never used this weapon, thus I have no experience with it. I don't post information about things I personally have not tried/used, unless I receive the infomation from a source I know/trust. And even then I usually try it out.

That said, I am willing to addendum this guide for the sake of completeness if someone who is versed in the use of the Legion's MIght and has used it a lot will enlighten me on its use. Please don't just regurgitate what is on the wiki. PM me with information, and I will possibly equip the weapon and see what it's like.

I do want the guide to be the best it can be, and if that means adding to it, so be it. ;) I am probably the only one who hasn't tried it - Ghost and Derdak have, so I'm not sure where you got that info. And everyone is biased towards their favorite weapon/class/etc. This guide is not biased.

BTW Catfish, I'm a "she" not a "he". :)
---
GTs: iamsiamesifuplz, ManicKalamityK
You know you are truly alive when you are living among the lions. -- Isak Dinesen
#28mmasters36Posted 9/26/2013 10:54:22 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#29meralonnePosted 9/26/2013 12:32:05 PMmessage detail(edited)
Just a few comments regarding the "Legion's Might" debate

CatfishWiggins posted...

Neither the author of this topic nor any of the contributors to this topic suggested that the Legion's Might is ineffective in the body of the initial post. There is no comprehensive guide detailing the strengths and weaknesses of each and every staff in the game in this topic because it is a stickied thread, not a full-blown FAQ. And to do so would indeed require a full-blown FAQ. There are plenty of advantages to using a DFed Rusty Staff as well, but this weapon is not mentioned either.

The only weapons mentioned in this topic are the Dominion Claw and the Sanguine Stalk, and only because they happen to have the highest attack power. The fact that you happen to run a team of mages that are all equipped with this staff is clearly effective for you... but ask yourself the question: if I'm writing a generalized guide to hiring a spellcasting pawn, what is the likelihood that the player will summon three mages? Quite frankly, you are the only person I have ever heard of doing this. My hat's off to you for being different, but you present a pretty unique case.

Legion's Might is Fun

Lots of things are "fun". This is irrelevant. I think it's "fun" to not use healing items on my pawns at all and take two seconds to pick them up when they're downed. I'm role-playing camaraderie, and it's "fun". And while your mage team is plinking away with lesser attacks, I'm mowing down enemies with my squad that's using more powerful staves. None of this is relevant to the topic and could be discussed endlessly with no agreement or resolution.

This is a stickied topic, not a comprehensive guide to each and every staff/archistaff in the game. No staves/archistaves were left out because of effectiveness or lack thereof. A stickied topic would not work for such a vast dissertation because of the various pros and cons of each and every one. "Comprehensive" is not a requirement for a stickied topic.

tl;dr: Legion's Might was not left out for any other reason than the fact that specific weapons are not discussed in any detail.
---
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife
#30mmasters36Posted 9/26/2013 12:09:30 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]