Bolide / Gisel phys damage %

#1seinPosted 10/31/2013 11:21:25 AM
Isn't like 20 %phys/ 80 %mag??

That seems familiar, but cant find it anywhere
---
"The flames wouldn't be eternal if they actually consumed anything "
#2KarathraxPosted 10/31/2013 11:46:31 AM
I don't know that anyone ever specifically tested it.

The way to do that is to be in the Noble Quarter (the guards are all consistently the same amount of HP and are consistent with the same amount of damage necessary to kill them), as long as you have a Sorcerer Arisen with a lifetime damage stat that isn't maxed out.

Write down the lifetime damage stat's amount. Cast Bolide, record the new figure after one death. Let the guards and the spell clear, record the new lifetime damage amount.

Use one Conqueror's Periapt, cast again. The difference in the damage will be representative of the ratio of the STR damage component of the spell.

That sentence sucks, hahhah

I would like the same to be done to Seism and Gicel, too.
---
GT/PSN: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti
#3mmasters36Posted 10/31/2013 11:51:08 AM(edited)
Aardicus did on Asgard old thread and I think it really depends on build. But his tests showed that the str damage was higher than 20%-He was using a sorcerer build but the str damage derived ws high>

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/64783146?page=7
---
GT: Dragonkin777-Shevaan-Sorcerer 200- GT:baseballkidd99-Ragnarr-Ranger 200
GT: Sorcerersword-Sheherezade-Sorcerer 200- GT: Valerian777-Steel-Ranger 146
#4KarathraxPosted 10/31/2013 11:57:26 AM
What I got from Asgard's and Aardicus' testing is that they were using Demon's, not Conqueror's, and using a HFB, not Bolide, Gicel, or Seism. Did I miss something?

I recall Aardicus definitively proving the efficacy of Ferocity on the HFB and jumping when HFB is shot, and confirming the uselessness of Eminence on the same move, but nothing with respect to the specific physical components of these three spells.
---
#5sein(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:58:53 AM
mmasters36 posted...
Aardicus did on Asgard old thread and I think it really depends on build. But his tests showed that the str damage was higher than 20%-He was using a sorcerer build but the str damage derived ws high>

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/64783146?page=7

ahh exactly what I was lookin for. thanks.

@Kara
c'mon, I ain't got no time to be doin all that (read: too lazy) :p
---
#6mmasters36Posted 10/31/2013 12:12:02 PM(edited)
Karathrax posted...
What I got from Asgard's and Aardicus' testing is that they were using Demon's, not Conqueror's, and using a HFB, not Bolide, Gicel, or Seism. Did I miss something?

I recall Aardicus definitively proving the efficacy of Ferocity on the HFB and jumping when HFB is shot, and confirming the uselessness of Eminence on the same move, but nothing with respect to the specific physical components of these three spells.

Asgard posted... (referring to Aardicus)

In your test against the boars, the damage from Strength is actually pretty major considering how much lower your Strength is than your Magic.

For example, at one Periapt, the damage increase from Strength is 5,667 - 5,394 = 273
And the damage increase from Magic is 6,216 - 5,394 = 822

The ratio of 273 damage / 394 Strength = about 69%
The ratio of 822 damage / 1,443 Magic = about 57%

There are other factors that could play a part such as the boars defenses vs Physical, Ice, etc, and possible special modifiers for neutral creatures (I found my attacks inflicted suspiciously huge damage to oxen compared to goblins), but this makes it look like Strength is a major component of Gicel. If the benefits for Strength and Magic scale evenly, Gicel may be a spell that Strength-based characters can cast effectively.
---
GT: Dragonkin777-Shevaan-Sorcerer 200- GT:baseballkidd99-Ragnarr-Ranger 200
GT: Sorcerersword-Sheherezade-Sorcerer 200- GT: Valerian777-Steel-Ranger 146
#7KarathraxPosted 10/31/2013 12:14:17 PM(edited)
Excellent, then I simply missed that, mmasters. Pft, Sein! My guess is that your Sorcerer Arisen is long since maxed out on that stat anyway, like mine. No wonder Draken's so deadly with Bolide and Gicel.

But I'd still like to know the definitive percentage spread on those specific spells.
---
#8sein(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 12:26:52 PM
Karathrax posted...
Excellent, then I simply missed that, mmasters. Pft, Sein! My guess is that your Sorcerer Arisen is long since maxed out on that stat anyway, like mine.

But I'd still like to know the definitive percentage spread on those specific spells.

yeah, unfortunately.

i wanna guess and say ateast the bolide phys dam modifier is significant.

When DA first came out there was a non min max sorcercer pawn i used alot ,( I think it was AboundedOrc0's Skuld),who's magic attack was like 300 or so less than my Arisen's, yet who's Bolide blast took off approx 20-40% more it seemed than those of my almost min/max Arisen. And at the time it was fustrating the heck out of me.

Even now I don't use, Bolide on my Arisen sorcerer, because th dammsge often seems moderate/moderate high at best.

On my current/new alt Im making my Arisen a fighter assassin with a significant magic dam stat.( so I can more easily DF my pawns sorc stuff.)

And so far at lvl 42, Bolide seems alot more effective than I remember it being at this point than with my min/max sorcerer. But that doesn't mean anything.

If/ When I eventually max this Arisen out I'll know for sure.
---
#9KarathraxPosted 10/31/2013 1:39:13 PM
sein posted...
When DA first came out there was a non min max sorcercer pawn i used alot ,( I think it was AboundedOrc0's Skuld),who's magic attack was like 300 or so less than my Arisen's, yet who's Bolide blast took off approx 20-40% more it seemed than those of my almost min/max Arisen. And at the time it was frustrating the heck out of me.

It was always my empirical experience that that was so, even prior to DA's release. I could not prove it with numbers, though.

For online Ur slamming, I almost always took three sorcerers for MK support, and chose two pawns with greater STR stats and one min/max. There was Draken, of course, then I would choose whomever was ready for Ur between Gorgoron, Alita, Sorcerer Circe and Merlyn as my other STR-stat go-tos.
---
#10robert43sPosted 10/31/2013 4:05:27 PM
Damage calculations are always complex. You have, attack, defence, resistances, distance. Basic level, dmg = att - def. But, it then gets complicated by resistance to the type of attack, strength of attack based on how far away you are, etc.. They could even complicate it by allowing angle of attack. See, if you attack at an angle, your spell might glance off and you do less damage. I wonder whether there are any formulae on line that game developers use.
---
GT: Rob ShadowHawk - level 200 Strider
GT: DragonHunter720 - level 200 Sorcerer