I might start this soon - which class is the most fun?

#1KarsticlesPosted 11/3/2013 9:07:43 AM
Let's equate "fun" with "interactive". Depth, buttons pressed per minute, the most stuff to keep track off, the most creativity in gameplay, etc.
---
My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
#2DrNick2008Posted 11/3/2013 9:19:48 AM
All the classes have what you've described above. Just pick a class you think you'd enjoy. Remember, you can change anytime. Most players do. I actively leveled up (and max'd out) 5 of the 9 vocations, and I've actively quested as them all.
---
There's no zodical sign called Nesbitt.
GT: Dr Nick 1971
#3Mick65Posted 11/3/2013 9:21:46 AM
the most creativity in gameplay

Mystic Knight.

You'll want a balanced magic and strength attack leaning more towards magic, good defense in both, augments from the other vocations and a good Pawn team. Things can go very well for you playing as MK, or they can horribly wrong.
---
GT: cmStone Pawn: Kurgan
GT: cmStoned Pawn: Jenassa (lvl 130's)
#4gamer6879403333Posted 11/3/2013 9:23:06 AM(edited)
If your idea of fun is how in depth it is, then mystic knight is for you. I heard another poster on here (a well known poster named Karathrax) call it the "chessplayer's vocation", and I agree with that. Let me just post that part of her (I think?) post. It was about a comparison between assassins and mystic knights, to give context.

Karathrax posted...
I've always thought of MK as the chessplayer's vocation as it does require familiarity with the game's magick system, enemy movement and prediction, anticipation and pre-planning-- and practice to exploit fully, as there's a lot more to it than just playing t-ball with sigils. The Assassin excels at "Patience, my ass, let's go kill something" gameplay. Neither's bad, just different-- and expecting either of these gameplay styles to appeal to all players is unrealistic.

And don't worry, it IS powerful. I and many others consider it the strongest vocation/class in the game, and it's not even my favorite and I say that about it. But as Kara said, to master it requires much more strategy and tactics and thinking then other vocations.
---
They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour-One of the dumbest sentences ever.
#5DrNick2008Posted 11/3/2013 9:29:59 AM
The problem with playing MK early, is that to be effective, you really need a balanced Str and Mag build (with good Stam, Def, and MagDef) with access to augments from the other vocations, as the MK augments all suck.
---
#6gamer6879403333Posted 11/3/2013 9:46:49 AM(edited)
DrNick2008 posted...
The problem with playing MK early, is that to be effective, you really need a balanced Str and Mag build (with good Stam, Def, and MagDef) with access to augments from the other vocations, as the MK augments all suck.

Yes, and...? He said he wants the most in depth vocation, and needing proper balance is adding to that. It's true of course that if he switches to MK and stays that vocation for the rest of time that things will not work out too well, but that just means we need to mention that getting some decent levels out of other vocations is a good idea for a MK main.

to topic creator-

And it is true, TC. You WILL want to switch semi-frequently. At the very LEAST you will want to get to rank 9 in sorcerer to get that vocation's rank 9 augments. Like this might as well be mandatory to make a good MK. And if you want to use melee once in a while and to get an augment that makes perfect blocks easier (and perfect blocks are the bread and butter of mystic knights) you will want to spend time as a fighter vocation too. Probably should throw in some ranger levels to get stamina up considering MK stamina gain per level isn't really ideal.

You might want to look at these links.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Vocations

Mystic knight is what you want, but you really don't want to switch to it and never change vocations again. To make a good MK requires a fair bit of dallying around with other vocations. That's just how it is. However this does add even more planning and depth in the vocation, which is what you want.

Also... I really hope you got Dark Arisen. The original is only good for giving you a save bonus so you get an infinite use ferrystone (fast travel item). Dark Arisen brings in new enemies and areas and weapons and armor and gives you tons of portcrystals (destination points of ferrystones) on your first playthrough.
---
They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour-One of the dumbest sentences ever.
#7kiynadaPosted 11/3/2013 9:45:46 AM
That depends alot on what kind of character you want to use a melee or magic.
I like the melee aspect and magic I find hard to keep track of.
I spent some time a a fighter and I ended up playing some what like Batman. I always had throwblasts, dragons breath, flasks of water, oil and poison but I was alway in the item menu picking what item to use next. I was never fast with this setup but I could tank any thing that seemed to come at me. I changed over to an assassin to try it out and I love it. A sword and bow combo is great for my style but I always carry a shield if I find my self surronded by ranged attackers or one on one heavys like knights or humans. Assassins also have counter attacks that take time to learn and some good reflexes at times but they come later in the class levels. The warrior is a slower class for buttons per sec and are very limited on what they can do but are huge power houses that can take damge and dish out even more.

Figher: Has some variety great close attacks but is very limited for ranged attacks.
Assassin: Has the most variety good close attacks good ranged attacks and counter attacks.
Warrior: Has very little variety great close attacks almost no ranged attacks can hit multiple times in one strike.

This is all considered with ranged attacking items like throwblasts and dragons breath.
#8DrNick2008Posted 11/3/2013 9:50:44 AM
gamer6879403333 posted...

Dude. You must chill. You react way too strongly to way too many things. Modern pharmacology offers plenty of options for this pathology which will bring a nice, well-medicated smile to your face. Lol :D
---
#9gamer6879403333Posted 11/3/2013 9:58:14 AM
DrNick2008 posted...

Dude. You must chill. You react way too strongly to way too many things. Modern pharmacology offers plenty of options for this pathology which will bring a nice, well-medicated smile to your face. Lol :D

I think you're projecting... And creeping me out.
---
#10KarathraxPosted 11/3/2013 10:14:05 AM(edited)

Yes, and...? He said he wants the most in depth vocation, and needing proper balance is adding to that. It's true of course that if he switches to MK and stays that vocation for the rest of time that things will not work out too well, but that just means we need to mention that getting some decent levels out of other vocations is a good idea for a MK main.

This is not entirely true. My main is 1/4 Sorcerer, 3/4 MK and I don't think there's any question that I cannot do anything in this game I set myself to accomplish regardless of my main Arisen's stats. I don't think there's any question that I'm a successful MK. But let us not descend into squabbling over small points.

That said... I enjoyed the building of this and the gameplay at 200, and didn't have to wait entirely to 200 to play MK:

1-10 Strider
11-40 MK
41-100 Assassin
101-200 Sorcerer

This is a variant of Zague77's MK build from the very old Parfait Gentil Mystic Knight topic a while back. The ending stats are:

Health 3875
Stamina 3985
Attack 517
Magick 607
Defense 307
Mag Def 338

This makes a very well rounded Arisen who will be an excellent MK, MA, Sorcerer, Ranger, Assassin, and Strider at 200. The HP and Defense are perhaps a little too low for extensive playing as Warrior, and I don't have enough experience with Fighter to be able to say more than I assume one would be a competent Fighter as well. The benefit is that one actually gets to play that section of MK; which trades off some lesser stamina and strength gains for better defenses and HP at 200 that's very useful for an MK, especially in hard mode.

The idea is that if you can assure yourself that you'll end up at Level 200 with MAG and STR of at least 500, stamina in the 3300-3500 range and, if you play in hard mode and extensively in BBI, DEF/MDEF of at least 300, you'll do very well indeed in whatever vocation you choose to play.

TC, I am not presuming to instruct you to level exactly this way. I have had the benefit of playing wildly different Arisens and know what I, in particular, like to play. By planning out your leveling as a strategy, you remove the spontaneity and exploration of your first playthrough. Feel free to play MK (or not) as you will-- though your stats may not end up at 200 as overtly powerful as these (or indeed, some other leveling strategies), there is no way to gimp an Arisen in this game. By the time you are level 35 as an MK, you will be steamrolling your way through Gransys.

Playing as I wanted is exactly what I did, and my main GT is still my favorite to play to this day. The difference in a fight between my main's Arisen and even a min/max STR build or a min/max MAG build is mere seconds. It takes 40-200 hours to get to 200. A few seconds of efficiency in the face of a 40-200 hour investment of one's precious leisure time is, well, you should decide that for yourself.
---
GT/PSN: Karathrax, Alt: Sekhmeti