Why can't you lock on?

#31Number_One_JerkPosted 4/28/2012 9:19:06 PM
No lock on? Deal with it, if you have a problem don't come to these boards to complain, take it a Capcom. The developers know what their doing don't make it seem like they don't if they didn't add a feature you might think work better, like I said deal with it or don't buy the game. They know what's best for the game, they took years just to create it, I for one am thankful for them even releasing a game like this...
---
Psn:Number_One_Jerk/XBL:NumberOneJerk
You think playing video games at 21 is immature? I should be more gown-up like you and watch Jersey Shore.
#32hustlin_pimpstePosted 4/28/2012 9:35:40 PM
DocDelicious posted...
You answered your own question...

Because it makes the combat more chaotic and makes it harder to control your character.

They're obviously not trying to create a "pick-up-and-play" game. It's supposed to be challenging.

And I believe he is trolling because this is the same carebear crap we heard a thousand times a day about MH.

Thing is, MH is a different game with a different board, so try not to bring your jaded cynicism to a thread about lock-on for Dragon's Dogma. To you and your leet skills it may be crap, but tbh if all companies were to cater their games solely to those who make out they are awesome gamers with uber skills, they would not survive too long.

I don't care about lock-on, but if it was an option to be turned off or not, how could that hurt your or your amazing gaming?
#33zodiac6006Posted 4/28/2012 10:12:04 PM
bearded_moose posted...
Monster Hunter.

this my second and final post here.

i'd say it speaks for itself.

It's your 3rd post, and I agree with OP, Lock-on makes combat easier to follow. Aiming is not a factor since they could still make the game playable without lock-on.
#34DrakoMillifiorePosted 4/28/2012 10:45:48 PM
Ikaru_ posted...
Alright,
come on guys he has some valid points
he's not trolling.However explain to me this,
How would lock work when you are surrounded by a pack of 8 goblins,and 4 pawns(let's assume you are a mage and can "lock on" to heal as well),also a buffalo,and a griffin flying over your head?

Don't you think your lock on cursor would go ape ****?

In dark souls combat was very one one most of the times.
In zelda64 (inventor of the lock on system ) you would fight 2,3 monsters at most.

Clearly Dragon Dogma was made they way it is with all those variables in mind.
These guys been doing this for years man.

This game has flying buffalos that work together with griffins?

*Pre-orders 4 copies of game*
---
Official Co-leader of the Illuminati
Yes, I am a Christian. Don't like it? Get over it.
#35glenn3ePosted 4/28/2012 10:49:29 PM
hustlin_pimpste posted...
DocDelicious posted...
You answered your own question...

Because it makes the combat more chaotic and makes it harder to control your character.

They're obviously not trying to create a "pick-up-and-play" game. It's supposed to be challenging.

And I believe he is trolling because this is the same carebear crap we heard a thousand times a day about MH.

Thing is, MH is a different game with a different board, so try not to bring your jaded cynicism to a thread about lock-on for Dragon's Dogma. To you and your leet skills it may be crap, but tbh if all companies were to cater their games solely to those who make out they are awesome gamers with uber skills, they would not survive too long.

I don't care about lock-on, but if it was an option to be turned off or not, how could that hurt your or your amazing gaming?

Because only a certain class; Magic Archer has locked on. By your logic, all classes should have the ability to launch tactical nukes.
---
PSN: glenn_3e (R3)
#36Girgante(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 2:06:56 AM

They're obviously not trying to create a "pick-up-and-play" game. It's supposed to be challenging

That's not the good kind of challenging though. What you're saying is like saying that a bad camera / cheap enemies / out-of-screen hits / sluggish controls(NOTE: not saying this game has these... just examples) are good, because they add challenge. It's not the case, there's a good kind of challenge, and a bad kind which stems from game design issues.

No lock on? Deal with it, if you have a problem don't come to these boards to complain, take it a Capcom. The developers know what their doing don't make it seem like they don't if they didn't add a feature you might think work better, like I said deal with it or don't buy the game. They know what's best for the game, they took years just to create it, I for one am thankful for them even releasing a game like this...

Well, if your argument holds true then all games from all companies should be 7+/10 games - since most take years and lots of hard work to create. In reality though, even games that take years to create can have some bad ideas, or even be completely horrible(NOTE: not saying this game is horrible).

I never played MH. Carebear? Lock-on for melee simply makes combat better.

this game doesn't even need it. I think lock on would make the gameplay a bit more generic.

Uh what? That comment kinda hurts my brain. Maybe they should have inverted the analog sticks and made the right one used for movement and the left for camera, so as to not be generic. -_-;; (<- to troll calling people, this is, in fact, sarcasm)

Anyways, I'm glad some other people agree with me about this.

The first thing I did when the first big fight started in the demo was bring up the controls to see how I could lock on to an enemy. Strafing feels heaps better for combat, rather than turning away from the enemy. If an attack is coming in you have to make sure you turn and face the enemy to block properly.. lame.

Same here about the controls... and yep, exactly my thoughts.

TC If you have low dexterity in aiming the direction of where you look to hit then just use R3 to look directly at the direction your character is facing its quicker then moving the camera and its kind of a lock on.

It's not just about the camera, it's also about how the character moves.
---
No matter what happens, there will be a solution when it happens. - Yoh Asakura, Shaman King
PSN: Girgante; WoW: Zepheldir, Death Knight, Sporeggar EU
#37obliviondollPosted 4/29/2012 4:15:18 AM
Games without lock-on aren't really comparable to games with badly-implemented controls in that way. If the controls work properly, the problem isn't with the game, it's with your taste not matching the product.

If it's done right, having no lock-on button isn't a detriment to gameplay. It allows for more freedom to quickly change targets in chaotic situations, where a lock-on system will force you to engage enemies one at a time. If you have a large enemy, and a crowd of smaller, weaker targets, you don't want to get stuck fighting a nearby weak enemy while trying to switch to the larger target.

Also, there's NOTHING in a game like this that can be done with a lock-on system, and can't be done without one.

Want to dodge while keeping an eye on a target? Turn while dodging.
Want to focus on a single target in melee combat? Use the left stick to move towards the target you want to aim for while swinging.
Want to attack multiple targets in succession? If you're relying on a lock system to aim your attacks, that's going to be difficult. Without a lock system, you can just move towards the next target you want to aim for.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"
#38Terry-bogardPosted 4/29/2012 4:43:51 AM
Girgante posted...
I was really excited for this game, but now after playing the demo I am a bit unsure. It looks cool - but why on earth did they not include a lock on function for combat? Imo being able to lock on makes the combat 10x better. It's easier to focus like that - it makes the combat feel less chaotic.

Also, it enables you to move better around your enemies, since usually locking on an enemy in games also changed your movement in relation to your enemy's position. It also just *looks* better.. moving in relation to the enemy. Locked on and moving back usually means stepping backwards. In non-locking games you just end up turning and running backwards. It looks lame, because you're giving your back to the opponents...

Anyone else thinks this game would be better with lock-on? Seriously cannot understand why they don't include this in all games with melee combat.

Locking on makes the combat easier , which isn't the point of the game.
---
The word "main" is the cancer of fighting games.
Learn to fight .
#39Girgante(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 5:28:06 AM
f it's done right, having no lock-on button isn't a detriment to gameplay. It allows for more freedom to quickly change targets in chaotic situations, where a lock-on system will force you to engage enemies one at a time. If you have a large enemy, and a crowd of smaller, weaker targets, you don't want to get stuck fighting a nearby weak enemy while trying to switch to the larger target.

Not really, because when there's lock-on it's not mandatory... so you can easily unlock and lock as needed.

Also, there's NOTHING in a game like this that can be done with a lock-on system, and can't be done without one.

Strafing around an enemy(so you keep facing them) without holding your shield up. That's one thing...

Locking on makes the combat easier , which isn't the point of the game

Hi Internet badass, how's it going? DMC, Bayonetta and Dark Souls all have lock-on and all 3 are considered hard(on the higher difficulties for the first 2).

As I said before, it doesn't make the combat easier, it makes it tighter and more fluid, which in turn could actually allow the developer to throw harder stuff at you.
---
No matter what happens, there will be a solution when it happens. - Yoh Asakura, Shaman King
PSN: Girgante; WoW: Zepheldir, Death Knight, Sporeggar EU
#40obliviondollPosted 4/29/2012 5:41:38 AM
Girgante posted...

Strafing around an enemy(so you keep facing them) without holding your shield up. That's one thing...

Just because you can't keep your character facing the target, doesn't mean you can't keep the CAMERA facing them, which is the only important part anyway.

If you need more than that, then I'm sorry, but you're looking at the wrong game.
---
"I want my meals to think for myself"