Magick Archer Mini Guide

#1rsxaviorPosted 6/24/2012 8:48:21 PM
~*Dragon's Dogma Magick Archer Mini Guide*~

Since it seems to be asked about a lot, I decided to create a small mini guide to the Magick Archer. I will attempt to answer the questions of leveling, good skills, and good augments for this class. I will also try to use my equipment knowledge.

What vocations should I level as to enhance my Magick Archer?

If you are just starting the game, choose the mage class. Stay in that vocation until you have maxed out that vocation class to 9. Afterwards change to the Sorcerer. The Sorcerer gets the best magic stat boost in the game at 5 stat points per level up for magic. I would stay in this class as long as possible or until your base magic level is where you want it to be.

I would also spend a few levels as an assassin. The augments this class gets are important especially if you want your Magick Archer to deal a bit more damage. It will also help to boost your strength stat for the regular dagger skills.

How can I make my Magick Archer a damage dealing class?

Short answer, you can't really. Long answer: situationally yes you can be a damage dealer. The basis of this class is centered around their magick bow skills. These skills each have an element attached to them, so you have to keep in mind which enemies are weak to what. Magick Archers are best classified as a support class. But the more you learn your enemies and the skills your character has, the more you can get out of the damage output and have fun playing the class. The Magick bow using the best bow, Dragon's Quickening places about 700 stat gain on your magic stat for reference.
---
PSN: rsxavior
#2rsxavior(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 8:48:35 PM
Stats:

Roughly speaking your Magick Archer will have a higher magick defense than defense if you go by the route stated above in the beginning of the game. Your magic stat will also be larger than your strength stat. You won't be able to take blows like a fighter does, so dodging is a great asset. When charging your attacks, especially the magick bow attacks be sure to be a moving target. Moving targets are always harder to hit than a stationery one.

Pulled from Dragon's Dogma Wikia.

Stat Growth for Magick Archer by Level:

Level 10-100
HP Stamina Attack Defense Magick Attack Magick Defense
21 20 2 3 3 4

Level 100+
HP Stamina Attack Defense Magick Attack Magick Defense
10 10 0 0 1 3

Armor:

That being said, you may want to invest in armor that boosts your defense stat rather than your magic defense stat. The game gives a wide variety of armors and weapons to choose from. I won't tell you which armors to get because it can be a personal choice for everyone. I usually go with the armors that add to my magic stat gain like the various cuisses and circlets in the game. Boosting your magic stat is what I preach so you can maximize your magick bow skills.

For more information on the weaponry and armors and when you can get them refer to Valor Phoenix's guide here: http://valorphoenix.blogspot.com/2012/06/dragons-dogma-idol-guide.html

But what if I want to utilize the daggers instead of the staff as my secondary weapon?

Not saying you can't, just understand the Magick Archer's abilities specialize in magic. If you do decide to use daggers (I use them too ~_^) I would suggest investing in daggers that have a permanent enchantment on them. Near the end of the game and in post game you are able to get daggers enchanted in ice and holy which are infinitely useful for most of the end of game enemies you fight and into the beyond. Also invest in the magic dagger skills, not only are they fun but they tap into that magic stat I keep harping on about. Dagger core skills also allow your archer to move around the field more. You gained the ability to DODGE and double jump.

And what if I like my staff? Can I/should I keep it?

Choosing between the daggers and the staff is a personal playing style. I honestly use both since I love my staffs I have collected as much as my daggers. Staffs sacrifice mobility for magic strength. The Magick Archer is limited to the staff skills, so if you have those uber awesome magic spells you learned as a sorcerer, you won't be able to use them here. Use the same strategy here as you did for your mage or sorcerer. I would highly recommend that your pawn be of an inclination that draws enemy fire away from you if you are going to use them. I find Scather and Challenger to be particularly useful. But whatever one works for you. Just stay out of the enemy sights and if they see you and run towards you, RUN! CANCEL THE SPELL AND RUN! Remember you are a bit squishy compared to say the warriors and the fighters so avoiding being hit in the first place is always a good idea.
---
#3rsxavior(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 8:50:10 PM
Hopefully another day I can tackle the augments and skills, but for now I leave it at this. I hope this answers some questions I saw going around the board. Again this is my personal guide so others may disagree with the points, but I find this way works for me. If it works for you then awesome! Again this game is about choice. I also welcome any constructive discussions or ideas for this. This is my first guide, so hopefully I did okay.
---
#4gaivrnPosted 6/24/2012 8:52:04 PM
Cool post, but how would assassin give it a bit more dmg than a pure mage - sorceror? ( i recommend mage to lvl10 THEN sorc all the way for a pure magic atk build)
#5rsxavior(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 8:54:15 PM
gaivrn posted...
Cool post, but how would assassin give it a bit more dmg than a pure mage - sorceror? ( i recommend mage to lvl10 THEN sorc all the way for a pure magic atk build)

It would only give a bit more damage in terms of the daggers. Nothing else the Magick Archer utilizes does that. Mostly I would level as an assassin to get the vocation rank up for the awesome augments an assassin can get like Bloodlust and Autonomy.
---
#6gaivrnPosted 6/24/2012 8:59:42 PM
rsxavior posted...
gaivrn posted...

It would only give a bit more damage in terms of the daggers. Nothing else the Magick Archer utilizes does that. Mostly I would level as an assassin to get the vocation rank up for the awesome augments an assassin can get like Bloodlust and Autonomy.

Well I did mage-10 then Sorceror-200 and THEN level vocations for every job. I think that way the stats won;t be all over the place while lvling vocations before 200, yes?

Btw awesome guide though I just wanted some feedback xD
---
PSN: DanteColtz Pawn: Aether lvl 200
Pure Mag Atk Build ( mage10 - sorc200) All aug + Voc9's
#7rsxavior(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 9:02:08 PM
gaivrn posted...
rsxavior posted...
gaivrn posted...

Well I did mage-10 then Sorceror-200 and THEN level vocations for every job. I think that way the stats won;t be all over the place while lvling vocations before 200, yes?

Btw awesome guide though I just wanted some feedback xD

Hey no problem. Like I said I want feedback so I can improve. But yeah I think I only spent maybe 2 levels in assassin so my stats were really geared towards magic. I did spend 20 levels as the magick archer so my defense wouldn't be too, too bad, but that was a personal choice. The way you did seems perfectly legit to me :) The big way to screw it up would be to level as a fighter or a warrior for most of the game and then switch.
---
#8IcEpIcKRSFPosted 6/24/2012 9:02:32 PM
The only reason I was using my daggers was for the dagger skills.

Shadowshackle to lock them in place then Sunflare spam or just slice through them until they died. If they were taking awhile, then Shadowshackle again.

Or for truly cheap tactics, Shadowshackle, Explosive Rivet to draw them in, then attack the explosive and they're usually dead. Solo runs as an MA are fun as hell.
---
It is what it is.
#9gaivrnPosted 6/24/2012 9:06:11 PM
oh, ic well i was im kinda confused about the assassin thing cuz magic attack from the daggers mainly pulls dmg from magic attribute. I see how you would go for str for hundred kisses though icic.
---
PSN: DanteColtz Pawn: Aether lvl 200
Pure Mag Atk Build ( mage10 - sorc200) All aug + Voc9's
#10rsxavior(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 9:06:54 PM
IcEpIcKRSF posted...
The only reason I was using my daggers was for the dagger skills.

Shadowshackle to lock them in place then Sunflare spam or just slice through them until they died. If they were taking awhile, then Shadowshackle again.

Or for truly cheap tactics, Shadowshackle, Explosive Rivet to draw them in, then attack the explosive and they're usually dead. Solo runs as an MA are fun as hell.

Tell me about it. its the reason I love this class. You can be a general pain in the @$$ to enemies. You are like that annoying gnat that holds venom. Explosive Rivet plus dagger skills = awesomeness and death to the enemy!
---