The "perfect" build for an assassin - Some questions of a beginner

#1Gregory1987Posted 7/2/2012 6:55:06 AM
After several hours of playing Dragon's Dogma I think I now understand the basic mechanics of the game and rules for creating an effective character build (e.g. considering which vocation to use when leveling up, switch between the vocations to get the skills I need, and so on... ).

Due to the fact that I did some severe mistakes while building up my character and that I played with a mage which proved to be a bit to - in lack of better terms - less action orientated, I decided to play as an assassin this time.

Reason for me creating this topic is that I am quite a perfectionist, meaning that I want to make the absolute best of the character I am playing and lose fun playing the game when noticing that I actually could be a lot better. You might say, that error and trial might be the best way to learn what to do. This is absolutely correct; the only problem is that I definitely lack time. That is why I need the help of you: The more experienced gamer that really know what they are during.

I want to know:

1) Which vocation to use to which extend? As far as I've learned, the most important attribute of a assassin is strength. Due to the assassin being the vocation with the highest strength growth I should switch to this vocation as soon as possible, which would be the moment I hit Lv. 10. Is that correct? If so, which vocation would be the best to use till Lv. 10? Would warrior be the best choice because of it being the vocation with the highest strength growth from the three basic vocations? Furthermore, is it ok not to max out the first vocation? Any reason to stick to it before switching vocation?

2) I am wondering which might be the best (main) pawn to join my assassin. Thinking about either a Healing/ Buffing-Pawn or a tank-pawn.

3) Which are the skills I should aim for? Only those of the warrior and the assassin vocation? If so, which ones? Should I aim for skills of other vocations as well? If so, isn't it a problem that I might miss some points in strength due to the fact that I might level up in a wrong vocation?

4) What is the best equipment I should go for? Anything that I very useful in early/ late game? How to achieve it?

5) Any general information or tips my post does not cover, yet?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Greg
#2Gregory1987(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 7:21:40 AM
Bump!
#3CashaddiPosted 7/2/2012 7:26:54 AM
From what I've read so far and I've read quite a bit(!):
Mage to 10, sorcerer to 200. Then switch to assassin and use Ascalon/Heaven's Key or any other high dmg weapon that uses magick atk. At least against Ur-Dragon this is highly effective. Not sure about other monsters.
#4matodaPosted 7/2/2012 7:29:56 AM
for pure STR assassin
1/ Fighter 1-10, Assassin 11-200

2/ irrelevant. solo assassin = buffed assassin

3/ warrior - clout & proficiency, fighter - exhilaration

4/ heaven's keys

max STR is better overall since it means you don't have to rely on a pawn to buff up your bow to be able to do damage. however, levelling up a pure mag assassin is a lot quicker, and overall will do more damage to Ur dragon, which is about the only thing in the game worth min/maxing
---
You look well, child.
#5NazomiPosted 7/2/2012 7:32:21 AM
How long would it take to reach level 200?
---
X360 GT: BarrattsMini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOUBxJnH52Y
#6Gregory1987(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 7:35:56 AM
I've heard about this as well. But as I am concerned, this build should only be applied when you want to build up the "perfect" assassin to fight the UR. Unless you are not solely aiming for this, you can choose either the max out strength OR magic. That said, the choice to be made is clear: You - or at least: I - want to go for strength. The reason is simple: When you want to max out magic, you play nearly the whole game as a mage/sorcerer and get to play the assassin only for a very short time. When you want to max out strength you can change to the assassin early and enjoy the game with this vocation instead of a class that you actually don't want to play. Hope, you understand what I mean. It's quite hard to explain such thing in English when you are German... ^^
#70Thegrayman0Posted 7/2/2012 7:37:00 AM
I suggest that you just play your favorite vocation to its max before you change vocations, because its easier and organized. If you want to build strength up in your early levels then max out fighter and warrior and take advantage of their strength augments, also in this way when you unlock the fighter's skill sets you'll have some of the sword and shield skills unlocked when you start on your assassin build.

In higher levels, I would max out every vocation to maximize your benefits. Strength, Magic and Defense is critical at the moment with you im sure but at the levels 80 and over your already OP Except for the Online Ur - Dorkface.
---
Lets blow em up! PSN - graygoose
#8kornbeefncabagePosted 7/2/2012 7:42:04 AM
matoda posted...
for pure STR assassin

4/ heaven's keys

max STR is better overall since it means you don't have to rely on a pawn to buff up your bow to be able to do damage. however, levelling up a pure mag assassin is a lot quicker, and overall will do more damage to Ur dragon, which is about the only thing in the game worth min/maxing

The magic based assassin's total attack rating... Including Ur dragons weakness to holy is only another 24 points. That is including all the relevant attack boosting augs as well. I do believe that with clothing and armor that is available to the assassin there is stuff that boosts strength by quite a bit more than magic. And I think str would then be slightly superior with that gear. You also have the addef benefit of stronger bow attacks.
---
GT: GUINESSGUY84
#9MaiagarePosted 7/2/2012 7:43:57 AM
There are basically two types of assassins. Str assassins and mag assassins. To max str, you level 1-10 as fighter, then 10-200 as assassin. To max mag, 1-10 as mage, 10-200 as sorc. The thing with mag assassin is that the game's best daggers are holy enchanted. Enchants do damage based on your magic stat. Ur Dragon (the game's final toughest optional boss) is weak to holy. Thus, mag assassins actually deal more damage than str assassins against Ur. However, that's Ur only. Your unenchanted dagger damage sucks balls, and all your bow damage sucks balls. Mag > str ONLY when you use Heaven's Key daggers, and the enemy is weak to holy.

Since you're new, I highly recommend you to go str route, since farming online Ur probably isn't your main goal. Also, leveling 1-200 as magic using class, then switching into assassin is very iffy, especially if you haven't finished the game yet, and want the real assassin experience.

So yeah. Fighter -> Assassin is the max str route. After 10, just ALWAYS remember to level up as Assassin.

Augments? You want to max fighter, warrior at least. Strider also has some good ones. You can either sneak in some other vocation training to get the augments between leveling, or just power level to 200, and then worry about augments. 200 is safer, since if you accidentally level up when you're a fighter or something... reload time! Only if you really want the min/max perfect assassin, mind. If you want an imperfect but still powerful character, just level up as whatever, lol.

Skills? Assassin gets all the skills you want. Hundred Kisses, Invisibility, Masterful Kill/Gale Harness for daggers, and Fivefold Shot and Lycean Sight for bow.

Pawn? Anything's fine. Just make sure to get the right inclinations. I'd recommend a fighter or sorcerer pawn, though. Many players tend to drop mage pawns post-game, since they're kinda bad there.

Equipment? Eh... get the Gold Idol, and give it to Caxton. Do your research on this! Don't screw up the quest, and don't screw up how you give it to him. That unlocks some very powerful gear. Valor daggers can be picked up around the hillfigure knoll, powerful if you get them early. Soulflayer canyon has a spot (leaper's ledge) where some really powerful stuff can spawn, if you can bother to trek there and farm.
#10Gregory1987(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 7:47:27 AM
matoda posted...
for pure STR assassin

4/ heaven's keys

Thanks for the input, matoda! It was very helpful. :)

To 1) That confirms what I thought would be best. :) So I will level up till Lv. 10 and then switch to assassin.

To 2) Ok, I got your point. But apart from buffing, in you opinion would it be more helpful to have a tank or a healer with you - considering the fact that you can buy refreshing items but not a tank, I feel like having a healer would be better.

To 3) You are also talking about warrior skills... How and when should I level up this vocation? I mean, without the danger to level up as a warrior and thereby getting less strength as with assassin-vocation.

To 4) Obtained where/ when? ^^"

0Thegrayman0 posted...
I suggest that you just play your favorite vocation to its max before you change vocations, because its easier and organized. If you want to build strength up in your early levels then max out fighter and warrior and take advantage of their strength augments, also in this way when you unlock the fighter's skill sets you'll have some of the sword and shield skills unlocked when you start on your assassin build.

In higher levels, I would max out every vocation to maximize your benefits. Strength, Magic and Defense is critical at the moment with you im sure but at the levels 80 and over your already OP Except for the Online Ur - Dorkface.

That is an interesting point. According to this, it would be the best to play as a fighter until I reach Lv. 10 (character, not vocation, right?) and then switch to assassin so I get the max strength growth. Then I will max out the assassin first to get an organized set of skills and stats. Until I've maxed out this vocation I will be high enough to level up the other vocations without the danger of leveling up while having the "wrong" vocation considering my stat growth. What do you think?