Ranger pawn AI is still broken?

#11WrittenInStonePosted 7/28/2012 8:59:29 PM
-Challenger/Scather

-No Dagger Equipped

-Damage Boosting Augments. Extra augment slot(s) can go to bow based augments like Trajectory, or the other one that kinda locks on your target.

-Pawn only holds Large Mushrooms, no health items.

Never had a problem with my strider pawn using her bow this way.
---
PSN: DrugCartel
Now playing Dragon's Dogma
#12densetsu_xPosted 7/28/2012 9:04:36 PM
Honestly, your Ranger will never NOT use the dagger. Mine is Utilitarian/Challenger (with Scather as the 3rd). She uses her bow primarily against most foes, but some she will run and climb like Golems and Ur Dragon, esp. if they know they can do more damage that way as well. Now, it's not like she never uses her bow against those foes as well, but even when the bow is the majority choice, sometimes, based on situation, she will whack with the daggers (and really, if the enemies are in your face, is it really that wrong to just kill them outright that way?)

So, yes the advice here is solid, but to address your original question, they will still use it sometimes.

As for Strider and Implicate, I can tell you from my own tests on the AI Testing thread that depending on your party, yes, Strider will spam Implicate and then do nothing to follow it up. It was very annoying and seemed to affect all kinds of Striders, from mortals to gods... Best I can say is if you wanted them to be more archer-like, don't use that skill.
#13ZephranthesPosted 7/28/2012 9:13:09 PM
densetsu_x posted...
As for Strider and Implicate, I can tell you from my own tests on the AI Testing thread that depending on your party, yes, Strider will spam Implicate and then do nothing to follow it up. It was very annoying and seemed to affect all kinds of Striders, from mortals to gods... Best I can say is if you wanted them to be more archer-like, don't use that skill.

Oh, the last thing I want is a bow-only strider. I love the dagger skills and when the strider works, she's grace in motion, using dagger and bow interchangeably. It's the implicate-spam that is a problem as she does it nonstop in some cases and it makes it difficult to chase down her victim as he gets jerked all over the battlefield. Same thing happens with dazzle blast.

Probably just an AI glitch triggered by enemies with 'human' movesets. Would be nice if there was a way to iron it out.
---
PSN: Zephranthes: Priss Lv6X Strider, PSN: Zephranthes12: Myria Lv7X Mage
PSN: Zephranthes13: Tiramisu Lv3X Mage/Sorc
#14densetsu_xPosted 7/28/2012 9:15:58 PM
Wasn't just Humans. I watched them do nothing with Goregoblins and Hellhounds too. But the team mattered too as when I had the Strider with a Fighter, they would do something else but when the Strider was with a Sorcerer, nope. Not a thing.

What are you inclinations?
#15ZephranthesPosted 7/28/2012 9:33:12 PM(edited)
densetsu_x posted...
Wasn't just Humans. I watched them do nothing with Goregoblins and Hellhounds too. But the team mattered too as when I had the Strider with a Fighter, they would do something else but when the Strider was with a Sorcerer, nope. Not a thing.

What are you inclinations?

Scather/Utilitarian
100Kisses,CuttingWind,Implicate 5-Fold,Pentad,Downpour
Party: (A)Strider (M)Sorcerer (S)Mage (S)Strider

She's implicating wolves and then dagger comboing them immediately after, also using cutting wind and pentad on the fly. I'm about to head into femme bandit territory so I'll watch her.

Update: FAILURE

She implicates nearly the whole damn gang of them in one go, rolls away when they land near her, jogs around until they get up and then does it all over again.

Granted it worked out well as they were sitting dukes for a high miasma but still...

---
#16densetsu_xPosted 7/28/2012 10:06:34 PM
Like I said, that was the exact same thing that happened when I was doing the test runs, and that was even with characters who would use bows. Strider's would rather play Spider-Man than kill them off. Apparently it's also repeatable since you had a near similar party set up as I did. All I can suggest is try keeping a Fighter/Warrior in the party and see if it makes a difference or switch Implicate for something else.
#17ZephranthesPosted 7/28/2012 10:11:53 PM
Actually she's evened out a bit. She'll chain implicates still, but sometimes she backs away far enough that she'll just pentad them after they get up, or even cutting wind them. There's still some unnecessary jogging/rolling following each implicate though.

Doesn't seem to be based on the class of the enemy bandit. It may have less to do with enemy makeup and more to do with the terrain around her...she's more likely to implicate again if she's still near them when they stand up, and that happens more commonly in tight quarters.

Have you done tests to see how orders affect their behavior?
---
#18PismisPosted 7/28/2012 10:38:39 PM
I don't ever understand the point of this; I understand less why people complain about the pawn doing what the pawn is supposed to do.
---
PSN: Atimez
Dragon's Dogma Pawn - Kaus Al Nasl
#19RealWrecklessPosted 7/28/2012 11:10:00 PM
Idk if you're still having issues with your pawn (didn't read all the posts), but when I started a new play through. My mainI was fighter, pawn was strider. When I reached gran soren I went warrior pawn went ranger. Pawn completely stopped using bow. I removed daggers. Pawn would punch instead of bow. Beat the game. Started new game. I went strider/ strider. Reached gran Soren. Went Assassin/ Ranger. Pawn used bow like crazy. So, this has led me to believe. What class your main is, affects heavily what your pawn will specialize in. Pawn was always Scather/Challenged
---
PSN: Wrecklesss (Three S')
#20neogenoPosted 7/28/2012 11:40:55 PM
Is there any confirmation on how to get pawns to use crafted arrows? This one problem has been tormenting me ever since the game came out. I've heard people say their pawn uses crafted arrows but they never go into detail on how they learned to do it. Ive tried using them myself so my pawn could "learn" from me but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone know how to get them to use crafted arrows?
---
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy but socially dead.