Ur Dragon Gen 185

#101AardicusPosted 2/9/2013 2:21:45 PM
ballinsoldier1 posted...
Aardicus posted...
ballinsoldier1 posted...
SuperiorSlasher posted...
And here comes the tank!

I'm about to retire. I totally fail at killing it as Sorc. Not sure if I'm just terrible or I should try another vocation. Stacking precepts, etc just isn't cutting it. Actually last I really tried I was 95 and I think I did about the same amount of damage.

Is the only way to do it is min/max assassin these days? I'd love to play my sorc/MA or even try out MK, but this is ridiculously difficult and frustrating the way it is. I'm 125 or so...

I'm having no issues as a Sorcerer, though admittedly I am lvl 200 w/ near max magic. (856of866).

Are you using the 'Leaping Focused Holy Bolts'tm of doom method?

I'm not sure what that means, care to explain? I use holy affinity and then focus bolts with DF Talarian White. I think I walked in there with 6k Mag and I was stacking 4x precapts the whole time.

There is obviously something I'm doing wrong... He loves to cast spells that make me run out of their sigil, and when I get too close he does the "let's stomp on you or do anything to knock you down" move.

I just want to throw up my hands in frustration.

Affinitize your staff with Holy Affinity, pop a few periapts, charge up focused bolt and then leap into the air and fire it off. Of course you need to have the appropriate augments for this to work.

I go in with the following:

Acuity
Attunement
Ferocity
Eminence
Bloodlust
Autonomy

It sounds like a simple strategy, and it is, but It does require some tactics as you have to keep moving or you'll get Furor'd or stomped. It helps that Focused Bolt can be charged while sprinting. <grin>

Based on your stated magatt this will work for you. In fact I use only 3 stacked periapts instead of 4 usually. So there is even more room for additional oomph.

I use 'Sorcerer's Ridge' as both landmark and sanctuary during this process.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
---
PSN:Aardicus
#102AsgardPosted 2/9/2013 2:28:01 PM
When I tested the effects of Eminence with single Arcane Bolts, the added damage was extremely disappointing. I switched it out for Stability and am now immune to those annoying wing generated windstorms.
---
PSN: Manfrinjinsindin, Pawn: Iristrielle - Mage 200 - http://i.imgur.com/8IbZs.jpg
Alt PSN: Asgard216, Pawn: Brandt - Ranger 90 - http://i.imgur.com/3zqFs.jpg
#103AardicusPosted 2/9/2013 2:37:35 PM
Asgard posted...
When I tested the effects of Eminence with single Arcane Bolts, the added damage was extremely disappointing. I switched it out for Stability and am now immune to those annoying wing generated windstorms.

I just go by the listed additional magatt when I jump. I pause the game while firing a jumping attack and my listed magatt is higher.

You are correct in that it isn't a huge amount, but every little bit helps I suppose.
---
#104ballinsoldier1Posted 2/9/2013 2:50:48 PM
What is this 'sorcer's ridge' of which you speak?

I feel like I'm just running around too much to maximize my damage output. That and the silly offline videos showing people going in with it having so little health you can't see it and not using a single precapt is disappointing. It must've been so much easier when the game first came out.
---
PSN: tdizzle00
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Jane - Fighter/Ranger(Bezel Crown when needed) - <150
#105AardicusPosted 2/9/2013 3:12:47 PM
ballinsoldier1 posted...

I feel like I'm just running around too much to maximize my damage output. That and the silly offline videos showing people going in with it having so little health you can't see it and not using a single precapt is disappointing. It must've been so much easier when the game first came out.

Just my nickname for the chunk of rock on the west side (to the left if you enter from Everfall) of the arena area. It has an ornate chest on it towards the back which can give liquid vims. On the side opposite where the UR will sometimes roost.

I will alternate between sitting in a little 'alcove' at its base where the UR can't easily get to me, too close for the fire breath, too far for the stomp and do my lil jump shot routine until he bows for Furor then I'll climb up on ridge and set to one side so that when he fires that off I can sprint-jump-roll-jump-shoot to the other end.

I'll then stay on 'Sorcerer's Ridge' until my shots knock him too far back then I'll step down until he has recovered and comes back towards me. At that point I'll return to the lil alcove and repeat the whole thing.

The alcove is where I sit to rebuff as well usually.

On a side note, this last time I wore my newly aquired Duke's Outfit, and it is custom made for UR fighting. High holy/dark resist as well as high knockdown/stagger resist.
Got it and another TW DF'd.
---
#106AardicusPosted 2/9/2013 3:15:02 PM
ballinsoldier1 posted...

Also, as you've probably figured out, most online UR strategy videos on the tube of you are horribly outdated.
---
#107ballinsoldier1Posted 2/9/2013 3:57:08 PM
Aardicus posted...
ballinsoldier1 posted...

Just my nickname for the chunk of rock on the west side (to the left if you enter from Everfall) of the arena area. It has an ornate chest on it towards the back which can give liquid vims. On the side opposite where the UR will sometimes roost.

I will alternate between sitting in a little 'alcove' at its base where the UR can't easily get to me, too close for the fire breath, too far for the stomp and do my lil jump shot routine until he bows for Furor then I'll climb up on ridge and set to one side so that when he fires that off I can sprint-jump-roll-jump-shoot to the other end.

I'll then stay on 'Sorcerer's Ridge' until my shots knock him too far back then I'll step down until he has recovered and comes back towards me. At that point I'll return to the lil alcove and repeat the whole thing.

The alcove is where I sit to rebuff as well usually.

On a side note, this last time I wore my newly aquired Duke's Outfit, and it is custom made for UR fighting. High holy/dark resist as well as high knockdown/stagger resist.
Got it and another TW DF'd.

I'll give this a shot. Me running all over the arena just isn't doing the trick.
---
PSN: tdizzle00
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Jane - Fighter/Ranger(Bezel Crown when needed) - <150