Dark Arisen: Best Pawn Inclination by Vocation?

#1AnimeKid1089Posted 4/26/2013 9:31:07 AM
I know, this topic was already covered in another board on the Xbox 360 version, but I feel there may be more to add that will help with having better Pawns. Here is a link to it if you are interested: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62975982

Based on the other board, the Utilitarian Inclination is the best one overall for any Vocation no matter what. Your Pawn will use their skills more often, and will usually pick the right moves based on the enemies being fought. Utilitarian should be the Secondary Inclination.

Now, for Primary Inclinations, here is what each Vocation should have:
Fighter - Migitator
Warrior - Migitator
Strider - Scather
Ranger - Challenger
Mage - Guadian
Sorcerer - Guardian

Of course, you can't choose what Inclinations you want for Support Pawns, or even search out Pawns based on Inclinations either, which really sucks. I'm sure you had to resort to picking very powerfully equipped Pawns over smart ones more often than not because 95% of the Pawns have terrible Inclinations.

There's also the issue with your Main Pawn where it changes it's Inclinations or even simply tactics based on how you fight. Say you are a Stider with your Main Pawn as a Fighter. If you climb on bosses often, your Main Pawn will start doing that more and more often. If you are jumping out of harm's way more often than blocking (which you can't do anyway), then your Main Pawn will not block as often and instead jump out of the way. So, suffice to say, it seems it's best if your Main Pawn is the same Vocation as you, so they will fight based on your playstyle.

I also noticed that Pawns do not ONLY act on their Primary and Secondary Inclinations, but whatever kind of potions you give them. For example, I gave my Fighter Pawn 1 Challenger, Scather, Utilitarian, and Migitator potion in that order. I soon sat them down in the chair and got questioned on 3 of them rather than 1 or 2 of them. My Main Pawn also did seem to be more... dynamic since it was utilizing all the Inclinations I gave it. But it's recommended that you neutralize your Pawn's Inclination with a Neutralizing Elixir (although you won't get to until post-game) so you will get specifically what you want.

It's also difficult to find a Pawn that suits your playstyle, even if they have the right kind of Inclinations by default. If you are Fighter, you don't want a Mage with a Guardian Inclination, right? Because the Mage will try to stay close to you too often, and will not fight enemies as often. So, A Challenger Mage would be good, since it would keep it's distance from enemies and actually fight them.

I encourage that everyone playing Dragon's Dogma should find someone who they know that they can request a specific pawn to suit their playstyle. I, for one, am sick of strolling through the Rift for 30 minutes before I come across a Pawn that barely has the right Inclinations or even skills that I want. I do not want an overpowered Pawn for quick battles, I want a smart Pawn for more fun, tactical battles.

There is one other thing I should point out. it's about Height and Weight. Personally, I think Fighters should be the biggest Pawns since they will have more reach, and don't stagger as much. They also move much more faster without sprinting, but do move more slowly than small character would sprinting. Striders should be the smallest, so they are not as easily hit, and plus their daggers don't get that much bigger to make a difference, and their bows hit targets from a distance all the same. Mages... well, it does not seem to really matter, since they are meant to keep their distance and cast spells, so their height and weight won't affect their performance.
#2Claimh_SoliasPosted 4/26/2013 9:33:45 AM
AnimeKid1089 posted...
I know, this topic was already covered in another board on the Xbox 360 version, but I feel there may be more to add that will help with having better Pawns. Here is a link to it if you are interested: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62975982

Based on the other board, the Utilitarian Inclination is the best one overall for any Vocation no matter what. Your Pawn will use their skills more often, and will usually pick the right moves based on the enemies being fought. Utilitarian should be the Secondary Inclination.

Now, for Primary Inclinations, here is what each Vocation should have:
Fighter - Migitator
Warrior - Migitator
Strider - Scather
Ranger - Challenger
Mage - Guadian
Sorcerer - Guardian

I disagree here, no Sorcerer or Mage...or any pawn should use Guardian...
---
PSN: CaliburnSeraph Pawn: Queen (Level:10x Sorc)
And the weak shall fear the Thu'um, and flee in terror..
#3darkshadowmasterPosted 4/26/2013 9:40:07 AM
Claimh_Solias posted...

I disagree here, no Sorcerer or Mage...or any pawn should use Guardian...

Found a warrior pawn with the Guardian inclination yesterday. Oh many, MANY tears of frustration were had as he just sat beside me the entire time doing absolutely nothing....
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#4god_of_dragon_Posted 4/26/2013 9:45:32 AM
Even mage and sorcerer guardians are horrible, regardless of the Arisen's vocation. In fact, they spend more time with their weapons NOT drawn and just walks around you. It's extremely stupid.

I especially noticed that when I had guardian sorcerers with me while I was farming DCP in post-game, with the cheap Gran Soren trick. Instead of using their huge spells continuously they often sheath their weapon and walk for a few seconds before doing anything. Sometimes I even need to click "Go" for them to attack.
---
PSN: CHIGE23
Alt PSN: Rothwind
#5MedleymaksPosted 4/26/2013 10:24:48 AM
Well this is a let down, as I just started playing and made my pawn lean more towards guardian as she's a fighter....I'm hearing though that you can change that down the line?
#6ReignOfDestinyPosted 4/26/2013 10:26:45 AM
You can change it immediately as long as you have enough RC for a potion or two.
#7simonbelmont2Posted 4/26/2013 10:28:56 AM
Well this is a let down, as I just started playing and made my pawn lean more towards guardian as she's a fighter....I'm hearing though that you can change that down the line?

Yeah, you can get potions that change your pawns inclinations. The only annoying thing is that they often change back to their previous inclinations so you have to keep checking their behaviour.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#8redroses_4lifePosted 4/26/2013 10:39:08 AM
Any pawn with Scather or Challenger is a good pawn.
---
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: La'roule, Level 200, Tank Mage, (DA), PSN: friendy08
#9InfernoRodanPosted 4/26/2013 10:49:24 AM(edited)
AnimeKid1089 posted...
I also noticed that Pawns do not ONLY act on their Primary and Secondary Inclinations, but whatever kind of potions you give them. For example, I gave my Fighter Pawn 1 Challenger, Scather, Utilitarian, and Migitator potion in that order. I soon sat them down in the chair and got questioned on 3 of them rather than 1 or 2 of them. My Main Pawn also did seem to be more... dynamic since it was utilizing all the Inclinations I gave it. But it's recommended that you neutralize your Pawn's Inclination with a Neutralizing Elixir (although you won't get to until post-game) so you will get specifically what you want.

Pawns have a "hidden" 3rd inclination that also affects their behavior. You can only determine this one by using the knowledge chair. In order to set all three inclinations, give the pawn 2 elixirs for the one you want as the tertiary, then 2 for the one you want as the secondary, and finally 3 for the one you want as the primary.

Mages... well, it does not seem to really matter, since they are meant to keep their distance and cast spells, so their height and weight won't affect their performance.

Size affects how quickly Mages and Sorcerors can cast spells. Smaller ones can cast slightly faster, I believe.

EDIT:
redroses_4life posted...
Any pawn with Scather or Challenger is a good pawn.

Scather is generally not preferred for Rangers, Mages, and Sorcerors. It tends to make them want to get close to enemies, resulting in them not being as effective.
---
PSN: InfernoRodan, Pawn: Stella, lvl 200 Ranger
#10redroses_4lifePosted 4/26/2013 10:55:39 AM
What inclination should a Ranger, Mage and Sorcerer generally have then? Scather works for my mage.
---
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: La'roule, Level 200, Tank Mage, (DA), PSN: friendy08