Favorite thing about his game (SPOILERS)

#1malicemizerfanPosted 1/3/2014 10:17:18 PM
In the end, it wasn't about you as the hero, it was about what makes a person a hero. The courage to face almost certain death, to stand between it and what you care for. The will to push forward when even god stands in your path, and the humility to give it up when you've won all.

And that the game's bosses weren't your usual sneering, evil for the sake of evil kind of villains, they were all simply there to test you and make sure the world had a proper will to push it on. They challenged you, and they were happy to see you succeed and disappointed if you failed. They never once told you to give up, they asked you, then challenged you with the impossibility of what your choice was. Even Grigori sounded happy when you rejected his offer of a peaceful life on the throne.

It was all that stuff at the end. oh and the combat was great fun as well.

I can only hope that this gets a sequel.
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#2SunscentPosted 1/3/2014 11:19:51 PM
My favourite part was my friend telling me to start on Bitterblack, then laughing at me.

But in all honesty, learning how to sneak around the isle, how to tell which enemies I could take on and which would kill me, and running my butt off whenever Death or something big/fast came at me was one of the best video game experiences of my life.

And you're right, it wasn't just the game's fairness (ie. the ability to take down BB bosses at any level) or the game's brilliant mechanics (ie. freezing something, smashing it into a million pieces), but the story and universe were surprisingly satisfying as well. And the music! Oh, the music...

Cheers to a sequel if they're making it.
---
PSN: Sunscent | Pawn: Silver | Lv. <25 | Fighter | Miti / Sca
#3malicemizerfan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2014 11:44:20 PM
I remember my first trip to bitterblack.

Started over fresh, completely wiped my old save.

So I go there(level 20-ish I think?) Killed some goblins, one of these odd, singular wolf monsters that took forever and a day to die, walked into the next room, and ****ing death pops up. NOPE! RUNNINGRUNNINGRUNNINGRUNNING DOOR, BOAT!

Gotta say, not many games can get that kind of response.

"Oh look, these guys aren't so tough, they take a while to die, but as long as we focus and lock them down into choke points we got this."
"Hello mortal, my scythe is two stories tall."
"Everyone, we're leaving the island, effective immediately. RUN!"

Still haven't gone back(then again, just re-killed the dragon. I don't remember the dragon weapons being quite such massive upgrades.)
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#4BadrangTyrantPosted 1/5/2014 11:54:03 AM
Elysion and Salvation were pointless tacked on characters, they were there only to provide a bit of action.
In my first playthrough I didn't even encounter them until Pride before a Fall. Useless characters that should have been fleshed out more.
---
"The seat of God lies beyond"
#5malicemizerfan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 2:15:46 PM
I liked how elysion died.

SQUISH. "damn that guy was annoying. Sooooo... You're still like weak and stuff so I'll just wait over here. see you in a week?"
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#6TSotPPosted 1/5/2014 2:56:01 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
I liked how elysion died.

SQUISH. "damn that guy was annoying. Sooooo... You're still like weak and stuff so I'll just wait over here. see you in a week?"

I must admit, I thought that was complete class. It just went on to prove that he was full of misguided thoughts on the world he lived in. Absolutely brilliant.

Elysion: I am the bringer of the apocalypse! See the mighty agent of destruction

*CRUNCH*

Gregori: What a fool! He has nothing to do with this. It's between you and me. When you think you are ready, bring it on!

*FLYS AWAY*

...later...

Gregori: Those goblins are simple creatures, living out of fear of death. What about you? Do you have the will to face me? Or you can give up your lover and live a kings life.

*CHOOSES TO FIGHT*

Gregori: Excellent. So be it. Come get some!
---
DD:DA
PSN's: TSotP [King Conan- lv145 Fight] / QuaziBeattie [Leliana- lv33 Rang] / ShadowOTPhoenix [Anders- lv58 Mage] / Shadow_Phoenix83 [Flemeth- lv45 Sorc]
#7Tenryuu_N7Posted 1/5/2014 5:37:52 PM
My favorite part of the game is how refreshingly fun the wife and I have found the experience to be. The atmosphere and large monster fights are a lot of fun and we fight over who gets to play every night. The first time we ran into the Chimera in the woods and it destroyed me was the first time I actually enjoyed dying in a game. Figured at that point, this game wasn't going to hand hold my adventure. No idea how its going to end, but I'm loving it so far!

So glad the PS+ put this game out for play otherwise we would never have given it a try. If they ever make a sequel, its a definite preorder for us. Though the side effect of this fun game is that both our next gen machines are collecting dust.
---
PSN: Tenryuu_N7
Xbox Live: Tenryuu_N7
#8ragedemonzPosted 1/5/2014 6:10:45 PM
Just because I remember this from the original DD so well...

When I first started I remember doing the quest to find Salomet's Grimoire (pain in the butt quest at the time). When I got the grimoire I thought "Hey, I should give the dude a forged version in case this grimoire is useful" so I did.

Then when I had to do the Griffin quest in Bluemountain Castle and the guy runs in shouting "Hey check this out" and I saw the cutscene my mind was blown. That's what really made me love this game.
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.
LoL - TheCrazedLP PSN: Lowthingy
#9malicemizerfan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 7:13:20 PM
That's another thing, there's virtually no hand-holding, beyond the pawns constant reminder that running away is definitely an option. Not "You can do this!" just "hey, running away is better than being dead, remember how far away from town you are and all that cool stuff you found?"
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#10ragedemonzPosted 1/6/2014 2:34:42 AM
malicemizerfan posted...
That's another thing, there's virtually no hand-holding, beyond the pawns constant reminder that running away is definitely an option. Not "You can do this!" just "hey, running away is better than being dead, remember how far away from town you are and all that cool stuff you found?"

Definitely. I think using the pawn's quest/area familiarity was a great alternative to something else. With the pawns it keeps the "tutorial" within the game elements and I think that makes it immersive at least to me. I mean I just restarted two days ago and still am amazed when I'm on a quest to lead Quinna to Selene and as we're going through the witchwood one of the pawns I hired starts leading the way through saying "Follow me Arisen, it's this way". There's so much in that because it is someone else's pawn, someone's whose completed that quest and in a way it's well...it's real.
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.
LoL - TheCrazedLP PSN: Lowthingy